Sign in to follow this  
meat pie

How do you get around?

in dayz what is your main way or preferred  way of getting around?

bike,car,ural,asking for rides,or helis how do you get around the island? Walking does count if you like sneaking around so if you prefer walking all over then thats fine.

As for me I like the peddle bike,no gas, silent and can go really fast.

it does not have to be something you do all the time but its what you like the most.

Thanks!

I love driving.,,..But I hate having a car because they are so slow and easy to blow up.

and someone will always steal my car the next day no matter where 
I Hide it.

• Like 2

SUV, Huey, bike or walking

SUV is silent, hueys fucked shit up, bike is silent, walking is silent.

Just the same as my real day to day, biking.

No need for gas, doesn't make much noise and it's a lot faster than walking.

• Like 2

Typically I walk but if I can find a bicycle that is awesome. The thing is quiet and easy to hide and there is no need to follow roads because you don't need fuel and it goes fairly well off road. It doesn't go very fast uphill, but the downhill travel more than makes up for it (often with very thrilling and scary results).

Other things I like:

ATVs: good offroad and can carry a good deal of gear. Small enough to go all over the place. You need to take some care driving them, but if you respect them they won't flip on you (too often). You can carry spare parts, gerry cans, and gear on this thing which makes it really handy if you are alone or with a single friend. They can be hidden fairly well because they are often dark colored. The issue is you will typically find one untouched and very broken(because people are afraid of them) or someone got the guts to drive it to their camp then pulled the wheels off it and use it as a tent for storage. 

Motorcycles: Good offroad and can carry a few repairs and couple gerry cans. Dangerous to drive downhill or to hit a zombie with, but otherwise fairly nice. Small enough to hide and go pretty far on a tank of gas. I don't expect these to be there when I log back in and are always surprised when they are. 

SUV: This is travelling in style. I swear people fight over these. Built in GPS and FAST. That is the main advantage, this thing is fast and quiet and I will never hesitate to try and find one of these if I see one go past. I will try and figure out where it might have gone even though I know I won't keep it long. 

Little Bird: Almost small enough to hide. It's agile enough you can actually tuck it under some of the shed roofs in out of the way areas and hope people don't see it. Probably won't stick around too long but there is always hope. 

Shank's Mare, however, is my primary mode of transportation. 

Edited by Mercules
  • Like 1

run...

everything else is a sure fire way to get myself killed by attracting to much attention.

and for how i play a have no need for a vehicle of any type save for goofing off..

run...

I dislike driving cars that have poor offroad due to all the junk debris on the roads.  

ATVs are nice and normally easy to hide but can be pain when they bump and hump out of good hiding spot.

• Like 1

I personally like flying on a broomstick. If I cant find any, I drive my feet.

• Like 1

If I find the rare vehicle that is fully operational and I have all the essential gear to survive I will take it if I am planning on going a long distance, say from Zeleno to Berezino or even the coast to the Airfield. If I am going to a big city or high traffic city I still park a solid 10 or so minute run from whatever city im going to so I dont announce to the whole city im there.

Im some smaller/lower traffic cities I will drive right through and jump out at a barn or whatever to loot without to much worry. If by chance people are around its likely only one or two so if they do something stupid I dont have to worry bout 10 other people rushing in for action.

Also if I am fully geared I will drive around looking for heli crashes pretty much avoiding all high traffic areas. When your driving you can make it all the way up to a heli crash before zombies spawn maing it much easier to loot. This may be an exploit but im certainly not going to go slower and let someone kill me.

Little bird > Military offroad > white offroad > bike > foot

ATVs are too dangerous.

• Like 1

On foot is the only way to go. Gotta keep that cardio up and stay in shape for what may come. Occasionally will use a vehicle if i find one in running condition and its pointed in the direction i am going.

• Like 1

ATVs are too dangerous.

See! I love these people. they leave me a handy vehicle just sitting there.

• Like 1

I drive whatever I can find. Other than that, mostly I walk. I generally never bring a gas powered vehicle into town, I'll hide it a few klicks away and carefully hike in, infiltrate, loot, ect. If I'm in a shit spawn like Kamenka, I generally just run straight north. It's stupid to do anything else. The further north you go, the closer to the edge of the map you are, the more likely you are to find a nice little player hidden vehicle and live for more than 1 hour and 9 minutes.

Come to think of it, you never seem to lose humanity from stealing. That's kind of interesting to me. I mean, I consider the laws they have up in Canada or Alaska and such that basically say it's legal to break into a shelter in a life or death situation, as often times a lonely hiker may find themselves in. I guess that's a pretty big rationalization for snatching every scrap of another man's worldly possessions, but eh. I'm only borrowing it, really. By the time I log back in, it will probably be gone. (Car keys? SA? Please don't release vehicles in the standalone without keys. Hot-wiring, acceptable if done right.)

Anyway, every time I spawn I basically mad dash north to the treeline at the very least. Unless I'm in a town, in which case I'm like Sam Fisher until I find a gun. I guess I'm addressing your question more generally as "how I get around." I try to stay concealed at all times. Keep the high ground wherever it might be advantageous. Observe all possible sniping positions and scan carefully. Ect. When in doubt, go North. That's my motto. I usually make big loops and double back through woods to get to a destination. It's my way of checking my own six, and also sweeping the map for vehicles or tents. More often than not, I'll come across something to get me on my way. 

The bicycle I've had for months for basic travel and a TT650 stashed away for a rainy day.

The UAZ jeep I have most of the time for scavenging, as its a fast, tough little critter with good capacity and dark camo.

The the occasional heli from time to time.

Nostalgia.

CM2RH.jpg

PEJLk.jpg

8beEw.jpg

I used to love flying around on the dirt bike (it's a dirt bike not a "motorcycle").

People would try to snipe me but no one succeeded.

Buzzing the airfield during the night with headlights out and night vision goggles on was a fun pass time....

• Like 1

See! I love these people. they leave me a handy vehicle just sitting there.

Handy yes. And I'll use one in a pinch. But if you get shot at you're toast. If you drive over a bridge, you may be toast.

On foot is the only way to go. Gotta keep that cardio up and stay in shape for what may come. Occasionally will use a vehicle if i find one in running condition and its pointed in the direction i am going.

Lol the number one rule in a zombie holocaust is cardio.  

• Like 1

I like to be on foot or piloting heli. Foot is good for stealth, sorta in the treeline near roads. Can have some real fun in huey, but I suck as a gunner so pilot seat for me :)

Bicycle. It goes surprisingly fast, doesnt require fuel and its easy to hide

Two wheels or two legs.

Edited by RogueNZ

Whatever I can find that runs with little to no effort on my part.

Unless i really want it and know that i can get it running before somebody else gets near or zombies make it a real problem to fix, i leave most vehicles i find alone besides checking gear and it's condition to see if it is savable.

I prefer to drive my feet to get places, really gives you a chance to take in the beauty of Chernarus.

Handy yes. And I'll use one in a pinch. But if you get shot at you're toast. If you drive over a bridge, you may be toast.

I've found that people rarely hit me short of emptying a clip or standing on a straight section of the road so they are shooting straight at me, I'll drift back and forth a bit after the first shot but I have been shoot off one by a very determined person with a few clips of AK ammo they wanted to burn up. I think they hit the ATV more than they hit me but I eventually fell unconscious and crashed. You can also go WAY offroad which is my normal tactic on one. It's not as loud as you think either.

I drove to about 200 meters of an area I was going to loot, hopped out, and made it the rest of the way on foot. Ran into a guy and did the "friendly" dance. He hid without replying and my heart started thudding. I was in good cover with eyes on him and kept repeating myself,  "No really if I had wanted to shoot you I had you dead to rights while you were crouched and looting." He finally made a break for it, got into his chopper, and flew away. I had an MP5 SD and M1911 pistol on me and he had an M4 of some sort, I think CCO and so outgunned me... but he ran. I swear he should have heard that ATV in the distance but my friend went to loot a small town while I fueled up at a nearby station. He had left the town and was up in the wood and was trying to give me and idea where but couldn't so I was buzzing around to try and find him in the dark and he could barely hear the ATV so it was a bit like a really bad "Marco-Polo" game.