DaGolem

Automatik walk button

For DayZ SA i want a autowalk button and it should work when Game is folded down.

I...what? WHY?

• Like 1

Game is folded down.

Do you mean minimized, alt+tabbed or a laptop playing the game being closed?

I'm pretty confused by this.

Edit: Pretty sure if any of this was used people would end up walking into walls, trees, whatever and not making any progress or simply just getting themselves killed.

Edited by Rarabka233
  • Like 2

This is just plain ridiculous IMO. What about the things that happen during a trip in DayZ? I've never walked a distance farther than 1km without anything interesting happening in between.

• Like 1

so you want to run into a wall when you aren't paying attention?

so you want to aggro every zombie ever because you aren't paying attention?

so you want to get shot because you aren't paying attention?

pointless and people will complain about it, the game is meant to be immersive,what's so immersive about pressing a button and walking off to do something?

• Like 2

I'm imagining what this would be like...

sZ8xE8f.gif

Anyways an auto-run button has been suggested before, I guess it would be convenient when you want to aim your character in the direction of the NWAF and go do something else... but that kind of convenience is not something I think would be good for the game. I don't want to always see players on autopilot mindlessly jogging all over the place.

• Like 1

Do you mean minimized, alt+tabbed .

this ;)

Because sometimes i run and run and run and want to do something in Desktop.

It would be a nice little feature.

for all against this suggestion...There is no need for u to use it ;)

Honestly, I don't see why people are getting up-at-arms about this.  Putting a stack of pennies on your W key accomplishes the same thing.  This feature would just make it less annoying.

• Like 1

Honestly, I don't see why people are getting up-at-arms about this.  Putting a stack of pennies on your W key accomplishes the same thing.  This feature would just make it less annoying.

No, it does not do the same thing, for whilst alt-tabbed your character does not move in-game even if you have a weight on your run key.

Because sometimes i run and run and run and want to do something in Desktop.

Because this kind of feature promotes even more metagame thinking and is "gamey" and immersion-breaking IMO

it should work when Game is folded down.

And how would that work? If you minimize the game and go on your desktop all your input is not going into the game...

Honestly, I don't see why people are getting up-at-arms about this. Putting a stack of pennies on your W key accomplishes the same thing. This feature would just make it less annoying.

Well maybe he wants to watch pr0n while his character takes a long walk from Olsha to NWAF and looks stupid after tabbing back and seeing that his character was either shot on the way of ran against a wall and got mauled by zeds :lol:

Edited by Enforcer

You would get stuck on things all the time e.g. come back after 15 minutes to find out you went 30m before snagging on a tree and making zero progress.

It's not really healthy for the game either, you could run into someone and they say hi or whatever and you just keep running in a straight line without saying a word, then get stuck on a fence. It sort of breaks immersion for everyone you come near.

Edited by Chris529

You could probably use your phone.

But what's so wrong with autorun?

I know when I run IRL I'm not thinking about running I'm trying to just keeping it automatic.

Kinda adds a little... Authenticness in my eyes.

Ok, sometimes I do think if my life might be a bit easiers with this when walking 7km. BUT, that's what this game is about: hardship, strife, problems, challenges, etc..  The last thing we need in a game such as DayZ: SA is a CONVENIENCE. Those don't exist in an apocalyptic world. Nice idea though.

Depending on your setup, holding the W key for a long time can cause wrist pain for some people which is why I wouldn't mind an auto run key. It definitely should not work when the game is minimized however.

I don't think it's technically possible anyway since you are practically closing the task if you minimize it...

All for auto walk key... in fact suggested it a while ago.. but not while tabbed. An auto-walk is needed for standalone, in arma not much need to run as you can just use vehicles at bases and stuff. However Dayz is going more for a RPG style, and if you look at other games in this genre most have it....im thinking Skyrim/Fallout3.

It could be a lil immersion breaking, but isn't it the same as seeing an AFK player was just sat in a bush and even if you scream at him you will get no response. As other people said, you don't have to use it if you don't want to. But I for one do not wanna end up with RSI just to have a little more game immersion :P

I'd support this too. Not for the sake of alt-tabbing so you can go do something else while your character runs across the map (the folly of this having been sufficiently pointed out above), but rather so that you can take your left hand off the keyboard while traveling long distances. That way you can drink your coffee, pick your nose or what not. Think of it more as a cruise control rather than an autopilot. Continuously holding the W key down for a half hour at a time or more gets a little tiresome IMO.

What I've done is I've bound the run forward assignment to a toggle switch on my throttle. When in the forward position, my character runs forward, hands free. It woks great, but I realize not everyone has controllers with toggle switches so a "cruise control" toggle button would be a great addition for folks who want to run cross country but don't have hardware with toggle switches.