Sign in to follow this  
King of kong

Offline Mode + Editor Mode.

Hi. Just thought it would be nice if we could have an Offline Mode for the SA, and an ArmA 2 Style Editor.

Offline Mode:: Not everyone (Me Included) has 24/7 Acess to the internet. So what I'm suggesting is an offline SP mode. I know alot of you will whinge 'Oh but PVP is a major part of DayZ' Yes, it is. But not everyone likes PVP. Some people enjoy PVZ/PVE. Besides, there will still be 1000's of players for you to bandit with on MP.

Editor Mode: If anyone has actually taken the time to play ArmA 2, they'll probably know about the Editor Mode. I feel this could work in conjunction with SP; Allowing players to create/add items to their SP game. I could see the ability to add Zombie/Loot/Vehicle Spawns and buildings to their SP world.

Maybe you'd still need to buy it Online (Steam Etc). I dunno......I just feel that players wih bad internet/dslike of PVP/Loners should have more options.

Also, Devs, please optimize the game as much as you can so that it runs better than ArmA on Laptops.

I wish ye the luck o' The Irish on the game.

Idk. If you support the idea, give beans.

Edited by King of kong
  • Like 6

I did an editor post a while back, and yeah I couldn't agree more. Like the idea of just allowing editor in an offline mode aswell, that solves the problem of hackers a little....assuming they can disable custom scripting in MP, which im sure they can.

• Like 3

I want a standalone editor, editor has endless replay value, and where else will I be able to work on improving my knowledge of standalone's surface danger zones and flight paths and damage and bullet penetration etc etc etc.

Edited by Gews
  • Like 4

Nice to see a likeminded person......I'm tired of all these SP opposers who can rarely find a good reason why SP shouldn't be in the SA, other than the fact that it means less P.P.L. To KoS.

Edited by King of kong
  • Like 1

I for one would love to see a single player mode! I mean.. It would be pretty sick to crack open the editor add in some walls or shit around a nice little house with a truck then just start adventuring..

• Like 2

Another thought was, its always nice in arma when you finish an editor creation to round up a possie and test it out, so a way to share your custom missions is sort of needed.

Maybe just allowing people to run a local host with a 5 or so player cap could work. Keeping the numbers small, and no ability to host a dedi should stop people just running off to play on a custom server and keep vanilla servers full. However I don't even know if that's possible^.

• Like 2

Since I bought Arma 2 CO last year around March 2012.   I have owned the game for over year and I have logged 267 hours in the title.  I can confidently say that the majority of that time is in the editor.  I am not much of a scripter, but building combat situations is a piece of cake.  

right now I am creating a massive beach landing in Arma 3.  I create a simple battle, test it, add more, test it.  IT is tons and tons of fun.   Flying the Pawnee in Arma 2 is endless fun.   Attacking assualt boats and landing troops. IT is also tons of fun to play as a defender, firing at the incoming craft.  

EDIT:  A ton of time has been spent in mods too.  MP can be amazing if you find a hacker/griefer free server.  

Edited by Vindicator
  • Like 1

ya I want a single player option,love to loot and kill some zombies!

• Like 1

I really can't see Rocket ever adding a singleplayer mode to DayZ. The entire game is based around human interaction so it kind of defeats the point.

• Like 3

SP would be a nice addition, I don't get how there could be any opposition. If you don't like the idea of it you don't have to play it, might as well not stop other people from having fun in their own way.

The editor would go hand-in-hand with SP, both would make the game better.

Edited by Chris529
  • Like 1

The problem is this would kinda fragment the playerbase. Those who would otherwise try to avoid bandits would play SP, leading to a large amount of leftover players pvping all over (Much like the mod in it's current state).

Edited by The Friendly Bandit

Single player I don't really like, PvP is too much of a driving force behind the game for it to be similar in a single player environment.

The fear of the unknown and the constant threat from other players are what makes DayZ, DayZ - single player just wouldn't be the same - just an empty sandbox with a minor annoyance - interacting (or specifically NOT interacting) with other players is very important - the game is meant to be centered around the choices of yourself and the ones around you.

I'd like a good editor though, so much could be done with the Arma II editor and a lot of brilliant work was made for YouTube, etc. - I would like to see a lot more of this in the standalone, especially with everything animated properly and looking all pretty.

• Like 1

If we are getting an editor I do eventually want a few different types of AI for people.

Like survivor AI, military AI, military survivors, and bandits.

That way we can spawn more enemies than just zombies.

I think it would also be good for people that want to run custom servers without all the hassle.

I do however think they should have a good reason to stick to the hive over private hives though.

• Like 1

If we are getting an editor I do eventually want a few different types of AI for people.

Like survivor AI, military AI, military survivors, and bandits.

That way we can spawn more enemies than just zombies.

I think it would also be good for people that want to run custom servers without all the hassle.

I do however think they should have a good reason to stick to the hive over private hives though.

as far as i understand, there won't be private hive servers for SA nor will there be custom servers - at least for a good while. i might be wrong in that but seem to recall it being the case.

• Like 1

I don't think he removed the single player and editor button by accident...

dayz_standalone.png

Edited by Enforcer

If DayZ had an editor, to hell with online play, I would have something worthwhile to do.

I miss the games where u could just do maps and then play with your mates online. No hackers, no grief except when ur mates blue on blue ya!

If rockets want a LEGEND of a game, he should consider releasing an editor of sorts!

I don't think he removed the single player and editor button by accident..dayz_standalone.png

um this is sorta a alpha picture,If they dont have cars then single player/editor might not come in untill later.

So dont try to be smart!

Singleplayer and editor: must-have. As to the no custom/private server, I will not buy SA until they come out. I hate public hives, I hate the DayZ community, and I hate bandits. The whole point of private hives were to find likeminded people that WANTED to play together, and this whole no-custom-or-private-server BS is going to ruin this game for a lot of your fanbase. AI is a must-have, along with singleplayer and editors. I'd kill to play singleplayer DayZ with a squad of AI survivors trying to avoid AI bandits, and sadly, I can't get that online.

Lol...thought you came to play dayz which is obviously MP...the SP would end for you when you would find best gear, cars, choppers. And then what? I think that editor would require Private Hives to have sense, though there wont be any.

AI in Dayz...please tell me you are joking...you must be. What, scripted paths they are walking? Survivors following you without any particular reason. Bots firing at you from 800 meters with AK killing you? There are things you cant do without people.

Guy above ranting about community... there are other zombie games out there, go find them and better dont bother standalone or dayz mod. You want to change deep core mechanics which wouldnt leave a game as DayZ but some pointless ZedZ killing and looting and getting cars just to do nothing with them other than two things above.

If you want to play with squad just fucking find yourself a one or create it with friends.

I don't feel SP has a part in SA. This would also significantly push back any possible release date.

Not necessarily. All you'd have to do is tweak features that require other people to perform, add a new button "Singleplayer", then just start normally without players. It's not like SP would have exclusive features. I don't really get this "Human Interaction" thing. KoS or teaming up is the only form of interaction so far. Nor is it very enjoyable. People shouldn't be forced to play a certain way. In the SA Zombies will be harder, so they won't just be a minor annoyance. Scan the comments of any DayZ vid and you'll find someone saying they want to get DayZ but have shit internet. If you don't like it you don't have to play it. Don't try and force MP upon people who like SP. If SP is added DayZ will surely get more sales from people who don't like PVP or have shit Internet.

Not necessarily. All you'd have to do is tweak features that require other people to perform, add a new button "Singleplayer", then just start normally without players.

In the standalone, unlike arma, all calculations will be handled by the server, the client will pretty much just handle graphics display and convert info from the server into actions that the player see's, so i think there would be far more to it than just a few tweaks and adding a singleplayer button.

Edited by Fluxley
  • Like 3

I think an editor mode would be nice for some cinematical videos for youtube or something, but a single player? What kind of fun is that? The whole premise apon which DayZ was built, player interaction, would be destroyed.

If you want a single player zombie game go play State of Decay or something.

• Like 1

Lol...thought you came to play dayz which is obviously MP...the SP would end for you when you would find best gear, cars, choppers. And then what? I think that editor would require Private Hives to have sense, though there wont be any.

AI in Dayz...please tell me you are joking...you must be. What, scripted paths they are walking? Survivors following you without any particular reason. Bots firing at you from 800 meters with AK killing you? There are things you cant do without people.

Guy above ranting about community... there are other zombie games out there, go find them and better dont bother standalone or dayz mod. You want to change deep core mechanics which wouldnt leave a game as DayZ but some pointless ZedZ killing and looting and getting cars just to do nothing with them other than two things above.

If you want to play with squad just fucking find yourself a one or create it with friends.

people like you, sir, are why the DayZ community is shit. It's more than just shoot people for fun, dumbass; Rocket WANTS people to work together to do better things.

I wouldn't want private hives to be able to host editor creations....mod srvers have already killed off most of my fave vanilla servers and I don't want that crap happening to standalone. Only small servers to test and enjoy with a small group of friends.

And come on....arma ai isn't that bad, you can set convincing random patrol scripts. And engagement range...spot distance....accuracy....skill is all changeable via the init field of the editor.

This isn't so much about being able to add things to a vanilla server...its about being able to experiment....eg disable all the zed spawn points....surround a site with custom ones....and try to survive. The call up some mates and try it as a team.

Singleplaer does get boring(still have an old install of the SP version). but it wouldn't be to play the game in....just to have some fun.