SmashT

October Round-up: #DayZDaily

I had thought about that too. I hope the swimming is the same as ARMA 3 is. The one in ARMA 2 is way too bad to have again.

Yup. I played Overwatch the other day with extreme lag for everyone, and a guy tried to kill me with the starter tazer gun. He was both a bad shot and was challenged by the lag, so he didn't hit me, but I had my own tazer out so he probably assumed I was going to kill him. I stalked him without harming him or trying to, all the way to harbor/coastline where he jumped into the water and swam far away. I persuaded him to come back but as he didn't like me I decided to follow him out to an island he was going towards. After the idiot had proned in the water and refused to chat with me, I tried to swim back but swimming is like 1/3 of walk so I gave up and disconnected.

My primary concern with this game is that it might feel like arma2 since its based on the same engine rv3.

Character textures and sky looks good but judging from screenshots, tree's, grass, etc looks the same :/

2a0n8yd.jpg

They seem rather different, at least to me.

I really don't see why swimming is that important.

It's important enough for us to see how the new prison and Utes is like without the help of boats :)

2a0n8yd.jpg

They seem rather different, at least to me.

Pretty much everything is the same except for the lighting and the sky.

Edit: some trees look a bit fuller, don't start hating on me i do like the improvement. I'm just curious how the game feels instead of looks. 

Edit2: i do also love the models joshua(thats what i think hes called) made.

Edited by PXXL
  • Like 5

I really don't see why swimming is that important.

Maybe because crossing water at a safe point is all part of the survival aspect in the game. No point spending time making everything else looks much improved only to be let down by a poor way the swimming is handled. Plus it’s an immersion aspect of the game if done well.

All these thing s add up, especially when its not all about kill

Pretty much everything is the same except for the lighting and the sky.

Got to say if you haven't played Arma 3 you'll be amazed how much difference the new lighting and HDR does. I'm constantly swearing when I'm playing Arma 2 just because the Arma 3 lighting and HDR removed every annoyance about the Arma 2 lighting and HDR. You dont burn your eyes anymore when zooming in the forest or get pretty dark screen in some cases :D

HOLY CRAP NEW STANDALONE IMAGE!! :D

I think they need to fix the lighting though :/

ZVemQHv.png

what am i doing with my sad sad life

So, yes, ARMA and SA look similar. I'm not sure what people were expecting. They look, in my opinion, different enough to be considered distinct. Likewise, SA's initial scope was never about changing how the world looked entirely. Obviously they're going to recycle resources and textures, like trees and grass... Why toss those when you've got decent ones already?

Oh come on! That's the same tree in ARMA, they aren't trying hard enough... /sarcasm

Moreover, why the hell is this somehow a fault? Is your desire for a "different" experience really that in-competition with your desire for an experience that is just... you know... good?

I think, as I stated in a post a few pages back, that at some point in SA's evolution they need to take a serious look/approach to making DayZ look more "apocalyptic". But if they didn't, it wouldn't detract from the overall quality of the game.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 1

So, yes, ARMA and SA look similar. I'm not sure what people were expecting. They look, in my opinion, different enough to be considered distinct. Likewise, SA's initial scope was never about changing how the world looked entirely. Obviously they're going to recycle resources and textures, like trees and grass... Why toss those when you've got decent ones already?

Oh come on! That's the same tree in ARMA, they aren't trying hard enough... /sarcasm

Moreover, why the hell is this somehow a fault? Is your desire for a "different" experience really that in-competition with your desire for an experience that is just... you know... good?

I think, as I stated in a post a few pages back, that at some point in SA's evolution they need to take a serious look/approach to making DayZ look more "apocalyptic". But if they didn't, it wouldn't detract from the overall quality of the game.

I think it hilarious how often players criticize the Arma2 visuals, yet when people post screenies they are often running the game with potato settings.

• Like 4

Maybe because crossing water at a safe point is all part of the survival aspect in the game. No point spending time making everything else looks much improved only to be let down by a poor way the swimming is handled. Plus it’s an immersion aspect of the game if done well.

All these thing s add up, especially when its not all about kill

It's simple. I don't swim. Basically 99% of the time I spend in game is on dry land, as swimming clearly puts you at a disadvantage. If they sped it up, I wouldn't mind. The other islands will probably necessitate some tweaking anyway.

But talk about converting the swimming to the way it works in Arma 3... Well that's a completely new ball game. They'd have to map the underwater areas, taking up precious memory and causing further delays and pointless issues, when really right now they should be focusing on core mechanics, network stability, crafting combinations, dry land map content, vehicles, ect. It would be nice, but honestly it's not a pressing issue at the moment. The game isn't going to be completely broken just because swimming is a tad bit clunky. At least you don't lose all your gear at the bottom of the ocean anymore. I remember those days...

Edited by SalamanderAnder

That's one thing I always thought was lacking in DayZ. Sure, I've seen the screenshots of their attempts to make certain buildings look more "apocalyptic", the International Hotel plane crash stands out in my mind. However, once you get out of the cities (as far as I can tell from the footage we've seen of Vybor and the most recent shots of Polana) there's nothing there to make me feel like "the shit has hit the fan". Plopping down cookie-cutter rusty car wrecks isn't doing it for me, neither are amorphous blobs of trash that I've seen a million times. I think, eventually, they need to revamp the overall look of DayZ SA.

I actually see it differently. I always thought the Mod was You spawn in the Process of an Outbreak ie been say a Week say since the Dead started Walking . So most of the environments Shops etc still have Loot , Houses still have Food and Water. Buildings and Houses are as they were left ie intact, people got out with their Lives and very little else, maybe grabbed a Weapon.

From your scenairio  the Apocalypse happened many Months before we Spawn into the Game so for sure Buildings, Roads etc should look rundown and overgrown, however if the Game exists like this Food, Ammo, Water etc would have been picked clean within the first few Weeks. These loot items would be found only in obscure places ie Farmer John had a stash underneath the House in the Cellar etc.

I haven't heard any back story to the SA , but either would be great , but not a mish mash of the two or it doesnt make much sense imo

• Like 2

It's simple. I don't swim. Basically 99% of the time I spend in game is on dry land, as swimming clearly puts you at a disadvantage. If they sped it up, I wouldn't mind. The other islands will probably necessitate some tweaking anyway.

But talk about converting the swimming to the way it works in Arma 3... Well that's a completely new ball game. They'd have to map the underwater areas, taking up precious memory and causing further delays and pointless issues, when really right now they should be focusing on core mechanics, network stability, crafting combinations, dry land map content, vehicles, ect. It would be nice, but honestly it's not a pressing issue at the moment. The game isn't going to be completely broken just because swimming is a tad bit clunky. At least you don't lose all your gear at the bottom of the ocean anymore. I remember those days...

I agree that the swimming is definitely too slow currently in the ARMA 2/DayZ Mod. I believe that anywhere you travel to, you should always be under a potential threat of zombies unless they are/were eliminated already.

I only think swimming underwater has his pros and cons; the weight from the items you carry/clothing that gets wet should make you sink instead of being able to float up top of the surface. If you were light enough, then swimming underwater would be flawless. I believe reef wouldn't thrive in the cold climates as they would just die. Maybe some seaweed or rocks, like seeing grass and rocks that you see on dry land. Some fish would be great to see since Rocket did say they planned on adding fishing later on after the alpha release.

Edit: I hope zombies aren't able to swim, climb ladders and open doors as well.

Edited by TIC321

HOLY CRAP NEW STANDALONE IMAGE!! :D

I think they need to fix the lighting though :/

ZVemQHv.png

what am i doing with my sad sad life

which game is this?

which game is this?

Apocalypse Rising

• Like 1

I actually see it differently. I always thought the Mod was You spawn in the Process of an Outbreak ie been say a Week say since the Dead started Walking . So most of the environments Shops etc still have Loot , Houses still have Food and Water. Buildings and Houses are as they were left ie intact, people got out with their Lives and very little else, maybe grabbed a Weapon.

From your scenairio  the Apocalypse happened many Months before we Spawn into the Game so for sure Buildings, Roads etc should look rundown and overgrown, however if the Game exists like this Food, Ammo, Water etc would have been picked clean within the first few Weeks. These loot items would be found only in obscure places ie Farmer John had a stash underneath the House in the Cellar etc.

I haven't heard any back story to the SA , but either would be great , but not a mish mash of the two or it doesnt make much sense imo

Right, but the apocalypse itself (we're talking about a fictional occurance and/or a fictional genre, so take what I'm about to say with a huge heaping bowl of salt) is a process. It's not as if the people just vanish. There are circumstances which are the result of a collapse of society. Take 28 Days Later, all of that took place in a month. Society fell, government fell, the military fell. There were riots, shootings, looting, mass exodus, mass migration, and martial law was declared. All in the span of a few weeks.

What I was getting at isn't necessarily to make things look "decayed". It was to indicate some sort of apocalyptic process whereby human circumstances (as a result of a zombie outbreak) left a mark on the landscape.

One thing we know about the lore is that the zombies are just infected humans. So it's the result of some sort of disease, Rocket disclaimed as much a while back. So that much can be gleaned about the "apocalyptic process" in that a disease can be (unsuccessfully in this case) managed and controlled. The failure of these processes, and of society in general in Chernarus would leave marks on the towns and landscapes.

And yes, now that I think about it, they could've done this already with their map improvements. But what I'm seeing from the town layouts isn't as dissimilar from the mod's random placement of rusty cars and trash heaps as I would've preferred.

Also, whether or not a people would be fully aware that they're in the collapse of society while it's collapsing is debatable (especially in Chernarus, which consists of disparate villages). So to say that the loot would've been gone entirely might be debatable as well. There is no monolithic circumstance that would dictate whether or not there would be loot.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 1

I'm leaving for military basic training in 26 days. If I don't get to play this damn game before I leave, then im gonna be gone without a computer for 3 months and never know if it ever got released on time or not. And the anticipation will drive me INSAAAANEEEEE. FFMMLLLLL AAGHHHHH

• Like 1

I'm leaving for military basic training in 26 days. If I don't get to play this damn game before I leave, then im gonna be gone without a computer for 3 months and never know if it ever got released on time or not. And the anticipation will drive me INSAAAANEEEEE. FFMMLLLLL AAGHHHHH

Hope you make it back alive to play the SA . Remember count to 3 then throw the Grenade and dont ever put it in your Pocket

I can see...

post-166656-0-92499100-1383201660_thumb.

What looks like US flag on his shoulder...

Baseball bat.

Tactical vest with Czech bag camo.

I can see...

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

What looks like US flag on his shoulder...

Baseball bat.

Tactical vest with Czech bag camo.

Backwards US flag? Is this some sort of NATO thing?

Myosin nagant

A lever action on hostages back?

Holster guns and walk normally.

Backwards US flag? Is this some sort of NATO thing?

It's an american thing done by our soldiers, police and the like.

Note: This only applies to patches worn on the right shoulder.

The blue field of stars should always be in the highest position of honor. When viewing the flag on a wall, the highest position of honor is the upper left when displayed horizontally, and at the top (upper left) when displayed vertically. When displayed on a "moving object" like a person or vehicle, the highest position of honor is the front, and not the rear; so the field of blue should be displayed to the front.
Edited by Rarabka233
  • Like 3

It's an american thing done by our soldiers, police and the like.

Note: This only applies to patches worn on the right shoulder.

Interesting.

Stability tests going on! Its happening soon! Prepare your gifs!

Yay, some actual speculation about pictures and features rather than economics, politics, release dates, and the like.

The weapon on the hostage's back looks more like the crowbar or another melee weapon.  Unless the weapon is clipping, it looks like the grey area between his torso and arm looks like the road he's laying on rather than a receiver for a gun (that and the 'tip' of what would be the barrel looks to be a different color than the receiver).  The picture's a bit too low rez at this size to tell.  Kinda looks like a pipe or maybe a bat/wood club of some type.  If it is a gun, its civilian and probably old (that hunting rifle they teased us with a while ago), you don't normally see brass fittings on wood furniture anymore unless it's a replica or an old piece.