Sign in to follow this  
rpatto92@hotmail.com

End Game

END GAME

If you're reading this, it's likely you might have read my other post about  "End Game" were I discussed and analysed the current state of "End Game" in DayZ.

If you haven't here's a link: http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/145645-end-game/

Main Proposal:

If you have read all or most of what I wrote it's likely you clicked a linking bringing you here; in-which case you will have read one of my suggestions. That above the northern most part of Chernarus; I think the developers should add a portion which is entirely procedurally generated. This would serve as a place; that would be completely different every time the data base was reset for an individual server. The point of this being it would create a new experience each time it was reset and stop DayZ from becoming stagnant; were everyone knows of the best places to loot and find and hide camps or vehicles. 

So what's the point of a procedurally generated or "PG zone" part of the map other than just to keep game-play fresh?

This procedurally generated concept was the first part in a much more grand goal for "End Game" content in DayZ. 

Well if the PG Zone was it's own instance; it would allow you to do things just not possible or things in gaming that might be considered sin or heresy. The part about sin and heresy is probably gonna rub some people up the wrong way but remember it provides an out-let for other pieces of "End Game" content not possible in the rest of the game..plus you could always stick to vanilla DayZ and leave it alone but I think you'd really be missing out. 

Description

Lets describe the PG Zone:

The PG Zone would be mostly barren; mostly made up of tree's, mountains, wildlife, maybe a log cabin or two, oh and of course wondering Zombies. The reasoning for this will become more apparent later. 

Possibilities that come with instancing:

If the PG Zone were to be in it's own instance; the server no-long has to run all of the systems used in standard DayZ or render all of the towns and cities in the map. So this then leave you with a larger allocation of computing power in-which to do other things. 

Possible with instancing

What things; might you ask:

Well Rockets previously stated that building above ground bases in standard map might just not be viable; as well as some technical constraints it may put on other parts of the game, even with 200+ kilometer squared there will eventually not be enough space to build bases and the one's that do exist will be well known and easy to find. Now Rocket has proposed a solution which also involves instancing but in his solution bases would exist underground away from the majority of players. Which I might add is still possible even with my suggestion; the difference being with my suggestion of an instance multiple players could set up above ground bases with limited performance hits and more space to expand. 

The Ultiamte End Game

The bit about sin and heresy

Taking things that would be wrong for Chernarus but that are right for a separate instance:

This is the Ultimate END GAME were only the biggest most hardcore team focused groups can survive. If you've read one of my previous posts you might have came across this before and I think rightly so most people hated it. Though by making that post, it exposed the weaknesses of my suggestion; which are remedied with the choice of of being able to enter or leave an instance. That suggestion being as oppose to perma-death; I suggest perma-life. 

Oh no not this again

What is perma-life:

Essentially it means your character exists in the world; even when your away from it. This being in the form of a sleeping bag, tent whatever the developers use to represent you sleeping. Oh an you can be killed.

Criticism: I understand not everyone can play a game 24/7; in fact i know of no-one who can. But of course this is the point; which is exactly why I said most hardcore groups. This is precisely why I refer to it as the Ultimate END GAME because if your groups fails, it really is game over; so this represents the ultimate challenge for any well organised team.  

The Challenge

The ability to travel to this place and set up base camp comes with it's own benefits and risks:

What's stopping you from leaving base and logging off back in the the Chernarus instance; well nothing. Except unlike Origins: bases will not be impervious to all but any attacks excluding when you've left your front door open. Of course maybe there'd be a requirement to gain entry to a fortified base; like maybe some types of tools but the base wouldn't be completely safe and it'd need a team big enough to maintain it. 

Plus if you leave the base back to southern Chernarus; part of the design of the PG Zone would cause you to lose all information you have about the lay of the land, in the barren mountainous regions of Chernarus. This means someone on your team needs to volunteer to stay behind and sleep at the base; where they'd be vulnerable, in order to guide you back to it. 

Thank you if you've made it this far; please leave me a comment.  An please don't dismiss all of my suggestions just because of the perma-life stuff. Because by having a place to set up camp above ground, that's new after every data base reset; would be a leap in the design of DayZ. So please don't dismiss it out of hand. 

Edited by Rpatto92
  • Like 1

END GAME

I'm surprised no-one has touched this topic yet; no turn up's, under "End Game" as a search term. 

Question

First of all:

• Tell me what you think the end game IS for DayZ?
  • Also tell me what you think it should become?

Analysis of the existing state of the Mod 

Currently what is "End Game":

• Gearing up 
  • PvP
  • PvZ
  • Forming groups
  • Finding a vehicle: land, sea, air..etc 
  • Traveling back and forth from various hot spots
  • Setting up a camp and hoarding loot

As these represent the current state of the "End Game"; anything that can be done to prolong these experiences will enhance the game. Perhaps making DayZ more difficult, complex and adding more content will do just that.  

Consequences of the existing state of the "End Game" 

What did we learn from mod's:

• All of the above is far too easy to achieve 
  • The map and loot are fairly predictable 
  • Hidden camps are easily discovered 
  • All spawns are well known
  • Permanent death is negated; when part of a big group
  • People quickly get bored and resort to killing fresh spawns

Rocket is already addressing some of these concerns; such as: less predictable loot spawns, giving players more to do, expanding the map and making it harder to hoard loot by virtue of items being of limited supply. Not much has been said about vehicle spawns but I can only assume; they'll be less predictable just like loot.

Though most things appear to be covered; many of these measures are temporary solutions. To permanently resolve some of thee issues activities will have to be added to the established "End Game" as well more solid solutions. For instance people will eventually discover all that there is to the new map and discovering camps won't be so difficult as well as knowing the best places for loot. 

What do I suggest be done about this

What measures can be taken to more permanently resolve these issues:

• They can regularly adjust the loot tables and placement
  • Open up a significant portion of land above northern parts of the existing map and procedurally generated whole sections after every data base reset
  • Procedurally generate different events (log cabins, air drops, destroyed camps)(car, plane, helicopter and boat crashes/pile ups) around the map again after every data base reset

I hope you took the time to read as mush as you could; I realise it was a lot of information but please leave me a comment with your suggestion for END GAME. I know this thread was mostly an Analysis and less of a suggestion but that's because it as much about what you think of "End Game" should be; as it is what I think. 

I do however have a more broad suggestion; of an absolute "End Game"  which would be more enduring and provide more player interactions than the standard cycle of game-play  you've come to expect from the DayZ Mod.

Link to other suggestion: http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/145644-ultimateend-game/

Edited by Rpatto92
  • Like 1

I don't like this idea of being a sleeping bag when I log off.

Yer that's kind of the point; to make it so you really have something to lose if you venture into the instance north of chernarus. It's suppose to be a challenge; were only the largest teams who can cooperate an maintain their base and the safety of their teammates who may be offline whilst they're on. Meaning to really maximize the chance of being a successful; you'd need to branch out, bringing more people into your fold and establish a solid population to support you base. 

If you put something that decisive on the table; it would really help forge large strong survivor groups unlike anything you'll have seen in any other game. Plus you don't need to travel into the instance (which is the only place this "perma-life" has an affect) it's a choice but it would be the Ultimate End Game challenge to try and survive there and you'd be missing out. 

The problem I have with the whole "sleeping in game" idea, is you're 100% defencless. In real life, people would be able to wake up,while you can't.

This also would most likely mean that once a slot is filled on a server, it's full forever...

• Like 1

Yer that's kind of the point; to make it so you really have something to lose if you venture into the instance north of chernarus. It's suppose to be a challenge; were only the largest teams who can cooperate an maintain their base and the safety of their teammates who may be offline whilst they're on. Meaning to really maximize the chance of being a successful; you'd need to branch out, bringing more people into your fold and establish a solid population to support you base. 

If you put something that decisive on the table; it would really help forge large strong survivor groups unlike anything you'll have seen in any other game. Plus you don't need to travel into the instance (which is the only place this "perma-life" has an affect) it's a choice but it would be the Ultimate End Game challenge to try and survive there and you'd be missing out.

DayZ really isn't worth that much to a lot of people.

The game should be hard, when your on (I don't wanna have to worry about my life when I log off)

end game?

you are dead

• Like 1

I simply cannot agree with your main idea because of all the technical assumptions (and conclusions based on those assumptions) you are making, this is not how games, programs and computers work.

I simply cannot agree with your main idea because of all the technical assumptions (and conclusions based on those assumptions) you are making, this is not how games, programs and computers work.

Elaborate.