178 posts in this topic

so, since this is the "off topic" section, I have a question; do you watch anime? And if you do, what is your favorite?
Mine I gotta say is Neon Genesis Evangelion, great piece of work by Hideaki Anno, and also a great mindfuck.

post-100849-0-58325600-1375340054_thumb.

ImageCtrl, wild_man and odin_lowe gave beans to this

I do. Some of my favourites include Mirai Nikki [hence the profile picture], Shingeki no Kyojin [amazing soundtrack] and Death Note.

Moved to TV/Movies.

Edited by Inception.
realou gave beans to this

Yes. Some of the lesser-known ones I've enjoyed would have to be Blue Exorcist or Peacemaker.

high school of dead and bleach , good anime  :D

Not a huge anime fan but I like Hayate no Gotuku and High School of the Dead.

I recognised EVA-01 in OP's avatar on the spot.

I'm gonna say my favourite anime is probably Girls und Panzer.

I've about that alot but never checked it out. If it is as good as everyone is saying I will have to when I get back.

Hellsing OVA

Samurai Champloo

Soul Eater

Death Note (I never seem to be able to finish the series after that one certain event. I just lose interest.)

Sword Art Online: Season 1 (I was PISSED at how cliche the ending to season one was. I only watched the first episode of season two, and never went back. Not hating on the anime, but it just offended me in some weird level. :c)

Attack on Titan

Afro Samurai

Blood Lad (Only 4 episodes in, pretty hilarious.)

Edited by Dancing.Russian.Man

Not even remotely interested in anime, could someone please let me know what factors make this sort of viewing appealing?

Not even remotely interested in anime, could someone please let me know what factors make this sort of viewing appealing?

It depends on what you're watching, be it Mecha, ecchi or some other genres. Some times they can be great, or some times horrible depending on what you like

Tough to say I guess.  You could be a fan of scifi, fantasy, and animation, and still not be into anime.  If the wonderful family films of Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli or maybe the more serious Ghost in the Shell series or the hardcore action of Hellsing Ultimate don't do anything for ya, I think anime is lost to you.

As for favorite animes...

-Good portion of Miyazaki films

-Ghost in the Shell S.A.C.

-Desert Punk

-Beck

-Dragonball Z (mostly out of nostalgia, because it's hard to rewatch unless it's been abridged lol)

-Berserk

-Hellsing Ultimate

And that's about all i can think of off the top of my head.  There's other stuff I like, but not what I would consider favorites.

I recently finished Sword Art Online which was fairly good, abit off in a few aspects I think, I heard it got kinda chopped up from the manga which I understand, but I liked it more than I was expecting too.

I'm also still watching Attack on Titans which is crazy because of how ridiculous the gore is presented, but I still find the setup to be pretty interesting and the action is pretty exciting since it's a very new combat style that makes for great anime.

Also still watching One Piece and I had dived in deep into Naruto Shippuden (Hated the first series), both of which have good stuff, but have such a ridiculous amount of flashbacks and filler that it's hard to every speak highly of the series.  When it gets into a good story arc, and it doesn't flounder around with too much exposition and flashback, it can be quite fun, but then other times I just feel like they are wasting time in so many episodes.

Edited by Maxgor

I can be doing anything and the Neon Genesis Evangalion OP Zangoku Na Tenshi No Thesis will just start playing in my head and I'll have to break down in dance.

My favourite animes are Dennou Coil, Madoka Magika and the Studio Ghilbi films.

Anime, just like movies and books, are all different genres so when someone says "I don't like anime," they're generalising it to one catagory. Though if the cartoon style doesn't appeal to you at all I guess I can kinda understand that. There's some really good shows out there like Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell which just happen to use anime as their medium.

I enjoy animators and seeing wonderful animation so it's appealing to me for that reason as well. I admire great animators!

Edited by Mayuyu
Dragonsire and Inception. gave beans to this

My friends just recently got me into this stuff.. I found out that I really like "RomComs" for some reason. I thought "Toradora" wouldn't be my cup of tea but man, the story was pretty awesome..

Mayuyu and Pro (DayZ) gave beans to this

OP, that show was okay, I loved the dad/scientist and hacking in it. The main char, the little boy, ruined it for me with all his whining.

The following are must see: (I loved them)

Ghost in the Shell, Darker than Black, death note, gundam 08th ms team, gundam 00, Karas, Akira, Code geass, (One where only women can have this superpower where the further they push their power, they start to turn into monster and start to lose control.)

Edited by delta5

Death Note (I never seem to be able to finish the series after that one certain event. I just lose interest.)

When I think of Death Note, I only really think of the Light vs L series.

I remember having a LAN party at a mate's house when I was about sixteen, and watching Neon Genesis Evangelion & Ghost in the Shell (or, at least, one or two "episodes?" I can't be sure but I'm gathering that there's more than one or two).

That was fourteen years ago, but I distinctly recall the over-the-top animation style, grotesque violence & impossible to follow plot. Frankly it made me ill. I guess that feeling has stuck, but I'm big enough to admit when I haven't given something a fair chance - considering as you guys have mentioned, the many and varied genres to choose from.

My current day job is working as a senior illustrator in a studio of designers. There is no brief that has crossed my desk where the client would accept an anime style as a viable solution, & maybe that makes us designers old-fashioned but even in 2013 (despite how 'worldly' we might think our society has become) the style and stories seem very childish from a professional (western) perspective.

Merely my opinion, and I do understand that these shows are primarily fantasy for entertainment purposes. However this is my bread & butter - my clients and I just ain't got time for dat.

Mayuyu gave beans to this

Evangelion fan here, as you OP, also im watching Darker than black atm.

Just wait until you get to the next season.

Girls und panzer?

What's the plot?

Girls und panzer?

What's the plot?

The story takes place in a universe where girls participate in "tankery", the art of operating tanks, as a traditional martial art.

Basically, it's a load of schoolgirls from various countries competing in a tournament based around operating tanks. It's basically a World of Tanks anime.

Edited by Commander Spoon

OP, that show was okay, I loved the dad/scientist and hacking in it. The main char, the little boy, ruined it for me with all his whining.

The following are must see: (I loved them)

Ghost in the Shell, Darker than Black, death note, gundam 08th ms team, gundam 00, Karas, Akira, Code geass, (One where only women can have this superpower where the further they push their power, they start to turn into monster and start to lose control.)

I honestly think the whiny bitch Shinji is made the story a bit more believable, and added more character. 

Of course I still found myself saying "goddamnit Shinji get in the fucking robot" a few times

delta5 gave beans to this

I remember having a LAN party at a mate's house when I was about sixteen, and watching Neon Genesis Evangelion & Ghost in the Shell (or, at least, one or two "episodes?" I can't be sure but I'm gathering that there's more than one or two).

That was fourteen years ago, but I distinctly recall the over-the-top animation style, grotesque violence & impossible to follow plot. Frankly it made me ill. I guess that feeling has stuck, but I'm big enough to admit when I haven't given something a fair chance - considering as you guys have mentioned, the many and varied genres to choose from.

My current day job is working as a senior illustrator in a studio of designers. There is no brief that has crossed my desk where the client would accept an anime style as a viable solution, & maybe that makes us designers old-fashioned but even in 2013 (despite how 'worldly' we might think our society has become) the style and stories seem very childish from a professional (western) perspective.

Merely my opinion, and I do understand that these shows are primarily fantasy for entertainment purposes. However this is my bread & butter - my clients and I just ain't got time for dat.

Personally, I think Evangelion is the worst anime you could show to someone new.  I think it's highly overrated, that's just my opinion.  It has good animation and I think the action can be good, but it's plot and subsequent ending is so insane and impossible to follow, most of the characters are unlikable, and I just don't like it that much.  Ghost in the Shell I feel is a series much easier to follow, likable characters, and has some good action to it, even if it can delve into some topics that seem pretty out there in terms of what defines a person in a world of extreme technology.

Dragonsire and Rikarue gave beans to this