:unsure: A: You're in the need of a new processor. The other threads are awful as people suggest the top of the line gear and always go top i5 or top i7s when that isn't always needed. Maybe you have a budget! Maybe you can afford some high end gear, but fear it doesn't works well with DayZ... Here's a good place to ask for help!

B) B: You're looking to recommend CPUs. 
-AMD or Intel is fine
-Post any benchmarks for DayZ multiplayer, along with settings.
-Don't be a fan boy. People want hard facts that have information with substance, none of that "AMD sucks, the i7 3770k is the only processor you can get" stuff seen everywhere else.

**FOR ANYONE NEEDING INFO FOR SETTINGS/HARDWARE, SEE SECOND POST!

**FOR THOSE WHO OWN THE CPU THEY RECOMMEND, SEE SECOND POST!

**This is for the community! Please rate this with  :beans: that way more people are enlightened by a well thought out thread, not some shady guy endorsed by Intel trying to sell you their processors (that just an example, I love Intel and AMD in different ways). Please follow my guidelines for posting to help make this easier for me to compile! Post correctly, or very well, you'll get some  :beans: from me... or look like  :emptycan:   <_<. Thanks for the support! I'm happy with my build!

-Happy posting!!!

Edited by Prototype771

Meh, I've planned to build a desktop a while ago, and one of my friends recommended me a Phenom II X4 955, he owns one and has a great experience in gaming. But we all know that the processors are getting better and better every year and you're not looking to upgrade your rig again and again, right? The best way to go for a nice processor with a low budget is to pick the Bulldozer FX-6100 (which I decided to buy). It's a six core CPU and there are several benchmarks on this CPU, it's easy to overclock and can be cooled well even with a good CPU air cooler. Obviously if you want the best of the best experience for now you have to buy the new Haswell CPU (i7-4770K or an extreme edition i7-3970X or something) but I don't find it worth that money (tho it's not that much like a GTX Titan). By the way, that GTX 580 of yours is gonna run the newest games well for a while.

EDIT: Take a look at some AMD Phenom II X6 1100T or do some research on APUs (though you don't really like integrated graphics).

Edited by Barrett_killz

Meh, I've planned to build a desktop a while ago, and one of my friends recommended me a Phenom II X4 955, he owns one and has a great experience in gaming. But we all know that the processors are getting better and better every year and you're not looking to upgrade your rig again and again, right? The best way to go for a nice processor with a low budget is to pick the Bulldozer FX-6100 (which I decided to buy). It's a six core CPU and there are several benchmarks on this CPU, it's easy to overclock and can be cooled well even with a good CPU air cooler. Obviously if you want the best of the best experience for now you have to buy the new Haswell CPU (i7-4770K or an extreme edition i7-3970X or something) but I don't find it worth that money (tho it's not that much like a GTX Titan). By the way, that GTX 580 of yours is gonna run the newest games well for a while.

What kind of performance you get for DayZ? I look for everything like player population, extra vehicles, cities, and cpu intensive settings. Resolution is one of my main points.

What kind of performance you get for DayZ? I look for everything like player population, extra vehicles, cities, and cpu intensive settings. Resolution is one of my main points.

This rig (FX-6100, GTX 580 and maybe some 8GB of RAM) might give you some very nice performance on medium to high(?) settings and 1080p resolution (AMD CPUs have their minuses in some architecture and all this kind of stuff). Also, I found the top AMD CPU (FX-8350) on a really low price on Amazon, you might want to look at this maybe?

http://www.amazon.co...=dp_ob_title_ce

Edited by Barrett_killz

This rig (FX-6100, GTX 580 and maybe some 8GB of RAM) might give you some very nice performance on medium to high(?) settings and 1080p resolution (AMD CPUs have their minuses in some architecture and all this kind of stuff). Also, I found the top AMD CPU (Bulldozer FX-8350) on a really low price on Amazon, you might want to look at this maybe?

http://www.amazon.co...=dp_ob_title_ce

Is this Bulldozer? I thought the 8350 was Vishera...

fx 6300 works just great. but you would need a new mobo. i got a nice asrock mobo with the 990 chipset for about 80 dollars or something like that. all together it cost me about 240 or something like that. but you gotta have a nice amount of fast ram(8gig atleast) and a good hd too if you wanna get the best performance out of dayz. and you deff wanna upgrade that graphics card soon. the new 760 is only 250 bucks. you really need to splurge on a pc if you expect to play games at high framerates.

The most important things in Arma 2/ DayZ is a high power per clock/ per core, I'd recommend an Intel Core i5 4xxx (or 3xxx, however I'd take the latest generation). I wouldn't recommend an FX-6100 (outdated architecture) or similar, if you want to go with AMD you should take an FX-6300, it is cheaper but it has also worse performance than an i5.

An i7 or FX-8xxx doesen't make any sense as DayZ will not benefit from the extra threads those CPUs have.

tl;dr an up2date i5 CPU (e.g. the 4670K) will give you the best performance in this game for a (kinda) fair price.

The most important things in Arma 2/ DayZ is a high power per clock/ per core, I'd recommend an Intel Core i5 4xxx (or 3xxx, however I'd take the latest generation). I wouldn't recommend an FX-6100 (outdated architecture) or similar, if you want to go with AMD you should take an FX-6300, it is cheaper but it has also worse performance than an i5.

An i7 or FX-8xxx doesen't make any sense as DayZ will not benefit from the extra threads those CPUs have.

tl;dr an up2date i5 CPU (e.g. the 4670K) will give you the best performance in this game for a (kinda) fair price.

Believe it or not, the FX actually will beat the i5 or i7s when you set everything right using launch parameters. However, I've only seen the gap in singleplayer OA, so it may not be as much for multiplayer. Also in response to radrussian... I own this 580 card. Have yet to use it. There is no way the 760 is better than my card other than more VRAM, which doesn't concern me. I might even be able to upgrade to a 680 if my uncle as no use for his (he has new titans). Anyways, the FX 8350 and i5 3470 look like they are the best for me.... but haswell is a possibility if the price is right. No performance increases that are worth the extra 10 dollars, and unoptimized cpus/mobos that are new. maybe if they release more this year... but I want to buy in the next few days.

Outside of that, what kind of settings your runnin? I need those stats from anyone who can provide some. A way you can fill this out:

*EDIT: Check the 2nd post!

Edited by Prototype771

The 8320 being only 1 "step down" from the 8350 is easier to find a good sale on and performs identical to an 8350. It "might" not be able to overlock as well as the 8350, but I've been able to push mine to 4.8GHz without issue which is more than enough in normal usage. I got mine from Amazon for $150.

Being that you asked for specs I guess I can fill in a few things;

System

CPU: FX 8320 Vishera Core 3.7/4.0GHz (4.8GHz overclock)

GPU: Sapphire 7970 3gb Overclocked

Ram: Kingston HyperX 8gb (2x 4gb) DDR3-1600

Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0

HDD: WD Black 1TB

SSD:

PSU: SeaSonic X750 Gold

DayZ settings

Texture Detail High

Video Memory Very High

Anisotropic Filtering High

Anti-Aliasing High

AToC Disabled

Terrain Detail High

Object Detail High

Shadow Detail High

HDR Quality High

PPAA Disabled

Resolution

-Interface: 1920x1080

-3D: 1440x810

Vsync ON (OFF for testing)

Results (as per ArmA OA Benchmarks)

Benchmark 1; 83FPS

Benchmark 2; 19FPS

Benchmark 3; 72FPS

I haven't done a DayZ Benchmark in a long time so I don't have results. May sign on to some populated server at some point to test it...assuming I don't get insta-killed.

Edited by Xcelsior

Since you know what you're talking about and I myself am interested in computer performances, I posted the results of my 'not-so-badass'-rig down here. Maybe it will help you, or not ;-)

CPU: I3-2100 @ 3.1GHz

GPU: Radeon HD/ 7750 / 1GB GDDR5 (with no fan, temperature around 55-60C while playing)

Ram: (Corsair / XMS CMX8GX3M4A1333C9/ 8GB / 1333MHz

HDD: 1TB Drive(ARMA installed here) from Western Digital

SSD: OCZ Vertex 2E(Windows installed here) 60GB - SATA-300

PSU: Seasonic 460W Fanless

DayZ settings

Texture Detail Low

Video Memory Low

Anisotropic Filtering Low

Anti-Aliasing Low

AToC Arrowhead Trees + Grass

Terrain Detail Low, but it doesn't matter

Object Detail Low

Shadow Detail Normal

HDR Quality Normal

PPAA SMAA low

Resolution

-Interface: 1920x1080

-3D: 1920x1080

Vsync off

I benchmarked with Fraps for FPS rates.

While walking in cities: steady 25-35

While walking in the forest: steady 35-50

While walking in open fields: steady 30-45

Edited by Papie

Believe it or not, the FX actually will beat the i5 or i7s when you set everything right using launch parameters.

That is, to be honest, bullshit. The engine itself detects the hardware properly and Arma 2 has it's main threads running on 2 cores which makes per-core/ per-clock power very important. The latest core i series of intel simply have more power per clock/ core and their performance is in fact superior to AMD's in A2/ DayZ.

Adding/ modifying launch parameters will not increase the performance of the game in any (positive) way. As said above, the engine itself detects the hardware used.

Here are some (older) benchmarks for Arma 2 OA: http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/prozessoren/2012/test-intel-ivy-bridge/45/

That is, to be honest, bullshit. The engine itself detects the hardware properly and Arma 2 has it's main threads running on 2 cores which makes per-core/ per-clock power very important. The latest core i series of intel simply have more power per clock/ core and their performance is in fact superior to AMD's in A2/ DayZ.

Adding/ modifying launch parameters will not increase the performance of the game in any (positive) way. As said above, the engine itself detects the hardware used.

Here are some (older) benchmarks for Arma 2 OA: http://www.computerb...-ivy-bridge/45/

Problem with this benchmark: The low resolution. The ones I've seen ran 1080 resolution. Low resolutions prefer Intel, whilst higher resolutions preferred AMD. Not sure how this applies to all applications, but was shown in Arma 2. Also, many benchmarks are skewed if they are running W7 because of a patch needed from Microsoft that was choking AMD performance. I've noticed TekSyndicate (I think) discussed this in one of his videos more recently, which I thought was neat. The game isn't best at auto detecting btw. Some people run quad cores, but the games detects only 2 cores (even though there are 4 physical cores). Just becuase it worked for some, doesn't mean it works for everyone. Just thought I'd share that.

Also, might help if spoilers are used for the list. Otherwise the moderators might not like this thread :/

(PAPIE^) and turn your vid mem to default. Run textures a little higher now. Should help out, but the i3 might choke your performance of the GPU.

Thanks for the specs/settings!

Edited by Prototype771

Whatever is compatible with your motherboard is better, but the AMD FX-8350 beats the i5 by far on cpubenchmark.

I will be buying a new motherboard, as my current rig is an old Kentsfield Intel CPU using the LGA 775 socket >.>

Edited by Prototype771

fx 6300 works just great. but you would need a new mobo. i got a nice asrock mobo with the 990 chipset for about 80 dollars or something like that. all together it cost me about 240 or something like that. but you gotta have a nice amount of fast ram(8gig atleast) and a good hd too if you wanna get the best performance out of dayz. and you deff wanna upgrade that graphics card soon. the new 760 is only 250 bucks. you really need to splurge on a pc if you expect to play games at high framerates.

The 580 is very good lol. I'd say wait for the next series (800) from Nvidia.

Unless you do hardcore gaming and you need epic resolutions way above 1080p or maybe you do youtube videos. If not, then it's all fine.

And yes, the FX 6300 is great as he said.

Edited by Hosty

Here is my working/gaming rig:

CPU: AMD FX-8350, 8x 4.00GHz, with Scythe Infinity/Mugen cooler

GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 Boost, 3GB GDDR5, DVI, HDMI, 2x Mini DisplayPort (GV-R795WF3-3GD)

Ram: Transcend aXeRAM DIMM Kit 8GB PC3-16000U CL9-11-9-24 (DDR3-2000) (TX2000KLN-8GK)

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1000GB, SATA II (ST31000528AS)

SSD: Samsung SSD 830 Series 128GB, 2.5", SATA 6Gb/s (MZ-7PC128B)

PSU Antec TruePower New TP-650, 650W ATX 2.3 (0761345-07659-3/0761345-07660-9)

DayZ settings

Texture Detail (High)

Video Memory (Default)

Anisotropic Filtering (Very High)

Anti-Aliasing (6)

AToC (All Trees) Don't like it on grass

Terrain Detail (High)

Object Detail (High)

Shadow Detail (High)

HDR Quality (High)

PPAA (FXAA [sharp filter] /high)

Resolution

-Interface: 1680x1050

-3D: 1680x1050

Vsync (off)]

I also have a custom FOV of 90 degrees (default 65 doesn't cut it for me). My fps range from 34-50 in cities and 50-70+ in the forest.

Problem with this benchmark: The low resolution. The ones I've seen ran 1080 resolution. Low resolutions prefer Intel, whilst higher resolutions preferred AMD. Not sure how this applies to all applications, but was shown in Arma 2. Also, many benchmarks are skewed if they are running W7 because of a patch needed from Microsoft that was choking AMD performance. I've noticed TekSyndicate (I think) discussed this in one of his videos more recently, which I thought was neat. The game isn't best at auto detecting btw. Some people run quad cores, but the games detects only 2 cores (even though there are 4 physical cores). Just becuase it worked for some, doesn't mean it works for everyone. Just thought I'd share that.

Gotta bust some myths.

The resolution has NOTHING to do with CPUs. The low resolution is an ideal way to benchmark the CPU as the game is then fully CPU dependant and not limited by the GPU. In 1080p however it is very likely to be limited by the GPU.

Here's the same benchmark in 1080p: http://www.computerb...-ivy-bridge/53/ - The performance difference between the CPUs is about the same, the overall fps are simply lower due to slight GPU limitation (a GTX 680 was used in this benchmark).

Here's an up2date Arma 2 OA benchmark in 1080p featuring the FX-8350: http://www.behardwar...s-amd-back.html

The gain between the FX-8150 and 8350 is less marked in Arma II, but still 13.9%. While this is enough to make the FX-8350 the fastest AMD processor, it can’t stand up to the Intel processors. It is at Core i3-3240 level, some way behind the i5s and i7s.

As you can see the i5 outperforms the FX by about 10 fps (or +26%). An 4670K would be slightly faster.

Startup parameters regarding the CPU still won't affect the game's performance positively. Stuff like -cpuCount X only LIMITS the cores the game will use to the value X. Even if the game thinks there are 2 cores if there are actually 4 (which doesen't happen in 99.9% of cases, the engine not properly detecting hardware is bs) -cpuCount 4 wouldn't change anything as it's just a set limit - you don't tell the game how many cores you have by that (the core engine is detecting this). If it exceeds the number of CPUs the core engine detects itself, it's useless anyway. That's like setting cpuCount to 8 when you have 4 cores (In this case, the game will still use 4 cores but will not use more than 8, which is not gonna happen anyway because the core engine detected 4 cores). If the core engine detects 2 cores when you have 4, the game will use 2 cores even if you set cpuCount to 4 (because it's just a set limit, I hope I made it clear now).

Whatever is compatible with your motherboard is better, but the AMD FX-8350 beats the i5 by far on cpubenchmark.

Of course it does when all cores of the processor are used. In Arma 2, The game mostly uses 2-4 threads and as the i5 has better per-core-power, it outperforms the FX processor(s) in games that don't use more than 4 cores.

TL;DR An i5 2xxx or newer will outperform any current FX processor in Arma 2/ DayZ.

Edited by Nik21