globalfriction

Standalone Zombie Jumping

Zombie Jump Animation  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that the zombie jump animation fits dayz?

• I think that animation does NOT fit the Dayz style.
    • I think that animation does fit the Dayz style.
    • I don't care its what ever Rocket thinks fits.

Do you like the new jump animation for zombies in standalone?

Personally I do not like it because I think that it just does not fit the style of Dayz.

Let me know what you think about it.

Example

TBH, the more video's I see of the standalone, the more I feel that it's going to be a chore to play, and realism is surpassing fun-to-play.

Zombies can run, bite, knock down, and maul/eat you. Explain how they cannot jump at you for your brains?

• Like 2

It adds a level of difficulty for me actually because currently in the mod all the zeds do is run at you and you can easily outrun them and lose them eventually.

im personally waiting for the farting zombies and the ones that do constant forward roles. where would we be without forward roles .

jumping zombie err no thanks.

where are zombie dogs ?

Edited by dgeesio

Define "arcadey"?

Does it need to be elaborated on? They belong in Resident Evil, Dead Rising or some other game, and not to use the word "realistic" but this game is the most realistic of the genre and I don't think they belong.

• Like 1

It would be nice if not only did the zombies jump at you but grab you as well, dragging you down to the ground and ripping your guts out.

• Like 6

at the moment at the alpha vidoes iv seen and on the dayz mod, zombies move to fast, they also zig-zag too much, i think they would be better moving at a steady paste towards, you, while there also being more zombies. which i think there will be.

Does it need to be elaborated on? They belong in Resident Evil, Dead Rising or some other game, and not to use the word "realistic" but this game is the most realistic of the genre and I don't think they belong.

Yes it does need to be elaborated on because people seem to increasingly use the word "arcadey" or "Consoley" as a lazy way of making their point. For example i've seen people saying that the new UI is "Arcadey" simply because it's easier to use.

Anyhoo, regarding the zeds I'll wait and see as with everything else. We've only really seen it in a semi-broken state and have no idea how it's going to play out.

• Like 3

I can relate to this

how come the zombies can lunge like 20 feet

but the survivors cant do that?

And they are only infected people so they should have degredated human abilities.

They hardly lunge 20 feet.

And i would imagine a psychotic cannibal being very strong, fast and determined to rip out your spleen.

• Like 2

Yet again everybody seems to be passing judgement on features which are most certainly still in development. I'll hold off on my own personal criticism till i get the opportunity at first hand to experience it for myself.

• Like 6

Give it time they are attempting to make them more dangerous and compelling. Also lets face reality here anything will be an improvement on the zombies currently in the mod. Lets see what they can do over the coming months with animations and collision detection to clean up how they look and act. The zombies are in the 28 days later theme (or the World War Z movie theme) and are fast moving so I do not see a problem with a jumping attack.

Resident Evil still has zombies, who knew.

• Like 3

Personally I do not like it because I think that it just does not fit the style of Dayz.

Let me know what you think about it.

Have you even considered that it's still an ALPHA?

All features are subject to change.

Why don't we all just hold our horses until the Alpha is actually out, then we can start giving Rocket and the team more relevant feedback. They are still working on fundamental aspects of the game, like balancing game play, coding a hugely complex crafting system, repairing glitches and bugs. ect. So many people on this board just sound like nit-picky little brats. We should just be grateful that this game even exists, and that the devs are willing to listen to our input. All I'm saying is, stop trying to get a refund for a product that you haven't even paid for yet.

Edited by SalamanderAnder

I want to say unrealistic but we are talking about a zombie game.

DayZ is not realistic. Rocket doesn't even try to make a realistic game.

Rocket aims for authenticity, and for features that he thinks might work in the game.

That said, DayZ is in Alpha, and feedback IS wanted AND encouraged.

So let's not argue. Discuss instead. (That goes for everybody.)

Personally I think the jumps look a little odd. No, not because I think that zombies can't jump.

But because of the pose they jump in, and their pose right before the jump. They seem to just jump up chest-first.

Rocket should take a look at Snorks from S.T.A.L.K.E.R., and study how the transition from their running pose to the jump goes.

Edited by Dancing.Russian.Man
  • Like 3

I kind of like the jumping. Although I think it might need to be made a bit smoother, it makes zombies just that much more of a threat, and that's what I want from DayZ. Up until the newest update for the mod, zombies were only there to get in your way. Players were the only threat. Now zombies and players are a threat. That's what I hope for in SA. Zombies being as big of a threat, if not bigger than players.

• Like 3

It doesn't look good at the moment, especially with the zombie pathing and damage issues. When those are fixed/improved, I hope they also make jumping attacks a lot less frequent so it doesn't happen all the time like it seems to be the case in these prealpha builds.

• Like 1

I don't see how it wouldn't fit DayZ. Remember the zombies are only infected humans. They're still going to have basic movements e.g; walking running, jumping.

• Like 1