SmashT

E3 Expo - June 2013 - Interviews and Gameplay

dang that was fast :D

ok next time I have to make it more challenging. I'm going to get the rest of it in a form worthy of posting.

Haha, he beat me too it, cheers for the screenie though, we have some proper gun nuts here (not me) so you'll have to do better than that :). Dat is one sexy bolt though.

Edited by Fraggle

cristiano-ronaldo-540-usain-bolt-dancing-as-he-takes-off-his-shirt-and-shows-his-six-pack-abs.jpg

Dat is one sexy bolt though.

• Like 1

Haha, he beat me too it, cheers for the screenie though, we have some proper gun nuts here (not me) so you'll have to do better than that :). Dat is one sexy bolt though.

I am a bit of a gun nut but I never let it define my DayZ experience. I am hoping the FN FAL makes the cut and if not, then make a G3. It is such an underrated battle rifle and it's been around as long as AR's and AK's that I feel they definitely deserve a place in the DayZ gun pantheon. Since they both have sniper versions like the PSG1 it would be cool to have to build a sniper rifle instead of find one that has all the bells and whistles right off of the ground.

• Like 3

I am a bit of a gun nut but I never let it define my DayZ experience. I am hoping the FN FAL makes the cut and if not, then make a G3. It is such an underrated battle rifle and it's been around as long as AR's and AK's that I feel they definitely deserve a place in the DayZ gun pantheon. Since they both have sniper versions like the PSG1 it would be cool to have to build a sniper rifle instead of find one that has all the bells and whistles right off of the ground.

Agreed, I'd love to see the FN FAL in the game, it's always been one of my favs.

oh weapon proposal time it is? steyr aug a3 or 9mm XS or SF

Edited by joe_mcentire

Agreed, I'd love to see the FN FAL in the game, it's always been one of my favs.

I had to use one partially when I was doing my military service. I am thankful it wasn't the official service rifle anymore. Powerful sure, but incredible bulky, heavy and difficult to disassemble and clean compared to modern military rifles.

• Like 1

Give me a M14 and I'll be a happy guy.

I had to use one partially when I was doing my military service. I am thankful it wasn't the official service rifle anymore. Powerful sure, but incredible bulky, heavy and difficult to disassemble and clean compared to modern military rifles.

That's why I mentioned the G3. Same power but with H&K engineering behind it.

Yeh, I think that's one of the reasons it'd be nice to have it in the SA. It could be a good powerful gun to use but the trade-of would be that it's harder to maintain than the more modern weapons and heavier to carry/handle.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 1

That's why I mentioned the G3. Same power but with H&K engineering behind it.

I'm not sure what this means... at all. FN has a great engineering record equal to or surpassing that of HK.

Having handled and fired both weapons extensively, I can tell you all the drawbacks of the FAL are present in the G3... and then some.

The G3 is notorious for beating the crap out of the ejected brass so one cannot reload the ammunition (plus, the extractor flings the brass a solid 20 feet). The fire controls are far apart on the G3, making it impossible to use for people with medium-small sized hands. The recoil on an uncompensated PTR-91 (A highly accurate copy of a G3 using HK machinery) is ridiculous without modification. Plus, it's even heavier than the FAL.

Both are great battle rifles, but both have similar drawbacks. So distinguishing between the two is sort of useless. Ask the Portuguese which is the best, then ask some former Rhodie SF what's the best... and they'll give you two very different answers.

As an aside, I'd love to see more Battle Rifles in DayZ. But specifically, I'd love to see some sort of AR-10 variant (i.e. SR-25 or M110). But on a more "realistic" note, I think some kind of IAR (RPK, M27, Galil, etc.) would be an interesting niche. Of course, this could simply be accomplished by including larger magazines to be looted.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 2

I'm not sure what this means... at all. FN has a great engineering record equal to or surpassing that of HK.

Having handled and fired both weapons extensively, I can tell you all the drawbacks of the FAL are present in the G3... and then some.

The G3 is notorious for beating the crap out of the ejected brass so one cannot reload the ammunition (plus, the extractor flings the brass a solid 20 feet). The fire controls are far apart on the G3, making it impossible to use for people with medium-small sized hands. The recoil on an uncompensated PTR-91 (A highly accurate copy of a G3 using HK machinery) is ridiculous without modification. Plus, it's even heavier than the FAL.

Both are great battle rifles, but both have similar drawbacks. So distinguishing between the two is sort of useless. Ask the Portuguese which is the best, then ask some former Rhodie SF what's the best... and they'll give you two very different answers.

Fair enough but I have big hands. I wouldn't say I have fired both extensively but I have put a few rounds through a G3 and never had any problems with it. I know they have bad reps as "jam-o-matics" but most of these complaints come from people who don't know a thing about proper gun maintenance. If the G3 is a CETME spanish make then I could see room for complaint however a genuine H&K G3 is as good as an old FAL. Now if you are springing for a DSArms FAL then you should be good on all fronts as I have heard nothing but good things about them.

I wasn't taking a jab at Fabrique Nationale. Belgians make excellent guns and beer.

• Like 1

Yeh, I think that's one of the reasons it'd be nice to have it in the SA. It could be a good powerful gun to use but the trade-of would be that it's harder to maintain than the more modern weapons and heavier to carry/handle.

I would love if carry weight is recognized in the game somehow, it makes such a difference in real life and this difference should be represented.

Also weapon length when entering buildings should be a factor, but i don't know if that is possible

I do hope Sniper Rifles are in the Game, not the Ultra High powered shoot from km's away, but a basic Sniper Rifle. They do make you keep your head down and act accordingly.

There will be accurate slow firing rifles with scopes...if you want to call that a sniper rifle.

• Like 4

Oh and this!

Rhodesia_RPD.jpg

Sort of a Bush War nerd... sorry. It's not the shorty shorts. Okay, maybe a little.

RPD w/ foregrip and cut down to god knows what. I don't like that it's stock-less, but probably fit some use in or around a vehicle. Fits in Chernarus. What more can I say?

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 1

Oh and this!

Rhodesia_RPD.jpg

Sort of a Bush War nerd... sorry. It's not the shorty shorts. Okay, maybe a little.

RPD w/ foregrip and cut down to god knows what. Fits in Chernarus. What more can I say?

That thing looks AWESOME!!! Please put more esoteric weapons like this in! I would want it to be rare as all get out though.

i demand the meadow-slayer A55

i4ha0x.jpg

edit: ohhh and btw lederhosen. i want lederhosen

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 3

hey guys hold on:

I originally posted this as a comment in another thread, but felt I should post it here to see if it makes any difference to people's opinions on the matter.

Honestly, I find that the DayZ community has difficulty differentiating between the concepts of "skills" and "skill trees". They are so far removed from one another, and it disappoints me when any potentially good idea is dismissed entirely on the basis of "skill trees don't fit in DayZ".

I'll lay it out as concisely as I can: Skill Tree - a progression of abilities in which the player selects new skills based on prerequisites, usually after acquiring sufficient experience points to be rewarded a "skill point". This concept does not necessarily follow a logical progression and may not be influenced by the way players interact with the game world (for example, Far Cry 3)

Skills - a concept in which players become increasingly more adept at particular actions through repeated use. A good implementation of this for DayZ would be to have a starting point at which all players are able to perform all actions within the game world, but are possibly affected by one of two factors depending on the real world skill requirement of said action - effectivity and success rate.

Effectivity comes in to play with actions such as administering a bloodbag to another player - the more experience Character A has in transfusions (ie. the number of times they have done it) influences factors such as amount of health restored and infection rate to Character B.

Success rate is relevant when an action requires an in-depth knowledge of the process involved and it is impossible to do with varying degrees of effectivity (for example, things like lock picking are either "pass" or "fail"). It is essentially impossible to base this off the player's real world knowledge as this varies from player to player - let's say I do know how to pick a lock in real life, but there is no way to simulate this in game. Therefore, success rates of these complicated actions must be based on the character's experience performing them. Note: Everyone knows how to change a car tyre with the correct tools, so this would not be considered a complicated action. Installing a car engine however is much less widely know and would therefore be more trial and error, with each failed attempt having the potential to damage the engine.

These skills are used purely for the game calculations and are not visible to the player. There is no grind aspect, because there is nothing to grind - it simply means that as a player does something more they become better at it, the same as they would in real life. This promotes cooperation and varied play styles, and in my opinion is one of the few ways to give a player's life any lasting meaning. It's something individual to each life that you can't just run back to and pick up like you would your gear, and prevents players killing themselves because they don't want to go and find cough medicine.

TL;DR: Skill trees, bad :( Experience-based skills, good :)

Agree for the most part, we are going to look at how doing something many times will make you better at it or develop your character in other ways

;)

source: as always....

http://www.reddit.co...kill_trees_and/

edit:

we had 2-3 pretty decent, developed threads here

http://dayzmod.com/f...lls

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 1

"this is the best handgun ever made- colt single action army...~"

dean pls

• Like 2

so any news Mr. Scubaman Sir on new models and objects?

edit: very nice explanation what the main difference between DayZ Mod and DayZ is:

Everything happens when the server tells the client. Really it's hard to explain it in terms of how the mod operates now because the architecture is completely different. Here's an example:

When you click a UI button (say "Eat Can of beans"), the server receives notification that you clicked the button, on that item. It checks to see it can do what's being asked, and it actions it - updating the variables on the player on the server. The client doesn't even have the variables let alone the ability to update them. Status messages are sent from the server; "you are hungry..." etc... instead of your client having the variables and publishing the message itself.

Same with animations, sounds, etc..

yeah of course from...http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/1gpotz/sometimes_people_forget_all_the_amazing/

Edited by joe_mcentire

Where would be the best place to check for when the SA will be released? Is there a SA website or should I look on Twitter? I say check as in where would it be announced first.

Edited by Rick bon Dock

Where would be the best place to check for when the SA will be released? Is there a SA website or should I look on Twitter? I say check as in where would it be announced first.

You're in the right place, there is no release date yet. It's been hinted that it may be in the next few weeks but they haven't commited to that yet.

How concerned should we be about lag seeing as how everything is now server-side? Will input lag not be a big issue?

I'm very concerned by this issue too, seeing how every mmo out there just doesn't feel as responsive as a multiplayer fps. I'm pretty sure the game will need a perfect connection and powerful servers to handle all those calculations, so I'll wait for feedback before buying in the alpha. On the other hand, it will certainly solve desync and script kiddies, so it might be an improvement overall.

"this is the best handgun ever made- colt single action army...~"

dean pls

OHhh yeah would that be the pietta or the armi san marco reproduction? and why's it in chernarus?

get real. If there was gonna be any old school revolver in cherno it'd be a nagant or a S&W russian model (the "other" best handgun ever made, except actual contemporaries said this, not a video game character) But all of these would use their own unique types of ammo and thus not make much sense in a ZA scenario... So i doubt anything like that will be added.

OHhh yeah would that be the pietta or the armi san marco reproduction? and why's it in chernarus?

get real. If there was gonna be any old school revolver in cherno it'd be a nagant or a S&W russian model (the "other" best handgun ever made, except actual contemporaries said this, not a video game character) But all of these would use their own unique types of ammo and thus not make much sense in a ZA scenario... So i doubt anything like that will be added.

balance between possible types of ammunition with added firearms types that use said ammunition = Ammunition in low supply and high demand/value = (dean voice) an authentic experience

1. 8mm (Mauser, yugo m76, FN49, Hakim, gewehr 43, mg34 )
  2. 7.62x54r (PKM, M44 M91/30, Baikal IZH-18MH, sv-98, svt-40)
  3. 7.62x39 (AKM/AK47, RPK, CZ 527, SKS, Saiga style sporting AK)
  4. 7.62x51/.308 (FN FAL, G3, M1 garand, m14/m21, ar-10, Remington 700, MK.48)
  5. 5.54x39 (ak-74, Krinkov version, AN-94)
  6. 5.56x45 (m4, m16, ar-15, hk-416, scar-l, saw, CZ-805 BREN, winchester model 70, Ruger min-14,)
  7. .22LR (ruger mk III, ruger 10/22, CZ 452, Marlin .22, S&W model 41, henry golden boy, S&W k22 masterpeice)
  8. 9x19* (berretta m9/m93, grach MP-443, browning hi-power, glock**, hi-point pistols and carbines**, CZ 75**, springfield XD**, px4 Storm**, HK&K UMP**, CX4 Storm**, Uzi )
  9. 9x18 (makarov, OTs-02 Kiparis, PP-19 Bizon, fort 12, P-64, Stechkin automatic pistol)
  10. 7.62x25 (Tokarev, cz 52, nagant m1895, CZ Model 25, ppsh-41/43, m56{mp40 clone})
  11. .357 ( single action army variations, marlin 1894, mares leg, S&W 686, snub)
  12. .44 (lever actions and revolvers-- use google, this is tiring)
  13. .45 (All marked with**, m1911, Thomson, grease gun, hk45, vector kriss, mac-10)
  14. .40 S&W* (All marked with**, )
  15. 12 guage (use your imagination- hunting, sport, military, home defence)

(yes, I left out .303 british, it's a stupid caliber that's extremley hard to find, isn't used in more than a hand full of out of date and out of use mounted machine guns and the enfield family -- take that brits.)

[that covers snipers, lmgs, pistols, civilian rifles, military rifles (both current and surplus), and you guessed it-- shotguns.]

Now get to work Scuba *craps whip*