SmashT

E3 Expo - June 2013 - Interviews and Gameplay

I feel that the biggest change is something you cannot see but will increase development possibilities over time. DayzMod updates will be nothing compared to the standalone updates.

• Like 1

Which will most likely get you killed. :)

In the MOD they ignore flashlights, even in 1.7.7.

Will this change in SA?

• Like 1

I'm thinking about the dudes with guns.

I like what i saw. I like Rockets and devs are honest and showed us dayZ work in progress. They could put a shiny video or demo like other triple A games do (wich were developed for years with millions of $ and houndreds of programers, artists, etc).

I wont say title of youtube video wich shows some map locations, (because is old build and was published without permision) but is AWESOME. Cant wait to play dayZ SA.

p.s. if you have more brains than zombies, you can easly find the video yourself. And sorry for my bad english, its late and i am tired...

Edited by Mark Starkiller

I... I just... I don't-

Faith in humanity lost. :|

sorry but this g ame is far from being ready for an alpha release

sorry but this g ame is far from being ready for an alpha release

But it is, for closed alpha release. What they will do, or did already...

They have talked about (at E3) following the Mincraft Model of release (Alpha-Beta-RC-Gold) as revenue model.

This would strongly point to an all-open or widely open alpha, otherwise there would not be much revenue in it for them.

I know what me and my CC will be doing at alpha launch. :)

Looks like lot of people accually didnt see the video: walk trough with rocket. He explain lot of things there. Watch it, its the third video ;)

As a DayZ mod Server Admin, an EX warZ player and someone who has been waiting for SA since it was announced I have to say...

Sure it looks like they have a done some work on the mod version, but I won't drop any mod servers for that.

The GUI looks nice, But DayZ Origins Gui in the next update (another Mod) looks nicer

The Movement for the player is tacky

The Zombies need a lot of work.

I don't want to play sims dress up either. Lee enfield and some bandages for me please

Don't get me wrong. I still will buy it on launch, but i won't be playing until it is a little more refined.

Also on a side note...

alpha test

Web definitions

(computer science) a first test of an experimental product (such as computer software) carried out by the developer.

Are we being paid as developers for this?!? if not then i believe its this

be·ta test

Noun

A trial of machinery, software, or other products, in the final stages of its development, carried out by a party unconnected with it

Edited by captainclaw666

Ok Ninja let a Samurai have your jimmies rustled.

Ok Fanboys, prepare to have your jimmies rustled.

• Running on a dev PC with what looks to be "Normal" graphics at best, and it lags throughout the whole demo.
    Excuse me Arma III is released and its not even optimized yet either.
  • The hitboxes are absolutely dismal, and trying to say otherwise makes you look blind. The player is being hit from miles away, and before the animation has begun at several points.
  • Dean hall just reported about this in Reddit and said that it will be finished any day now.
  • Zombies are still clipping through walls (something supposedly remedied in the newest mod patch, so what's the dev's excuse for it?)
  • Dean also spoke about this in the interview, they are working on it.
  • The UI is a joke. You're all talking about the excellent functionality, so I must be the only one here who notices it messing up several times.
    What do you mean by messing up? Explain please
  • The inside of buildings is nothing to piss your pants over, either. The textures are ugly, and you still can't run up stairs.
    Try running upstairs without falling over, its not that easy you know, exspecially with all this stuff you are carrying. And the Character is actually walking as fast normal person would be running upstairs. As Dean said on his video they are propably goign to rewamp most of the buildings.
  • It's running on the same engine as the mod, and seems to be more poorly optimised somehow. Call it pre-alpha all you like, but I see no progress here from the gameplay demo from months ago.
    This was also answered at one of the videos, Dean said they first used Arma 2 engine, then modified Real virtuality 3 engine of Take on Helicopters. Then they decided to make their own engine so they heavily modified the take on helicopters already modified arma 2 engine.
  • Inventory system is ridiculous (look at the contents of jeans vs bag), not to mention it's ugly as sin.
    This will be changed most likely untill release as they are just testing stuff. And the ugliness... They are most likely going to change the places of the box thingys and its just so easy to make the textures and fonts to look more cooler they are just not bothering with it as they are working on some more important stuff.
  • Doors are obviously still awkward to use.
    And on DayZ mod those arent? You break your legs so easy or even kill yourself on the doors at the mod. Atleast you no longer break your bones or kill yourself on doors at Standalone. If they are awkard, a couple of hours of door opening should help even casual gamers to open the doors ;)
  • They've added extra buildings (something private hives have been doing for a long, long time.) Sorry if I don't shit my pants with excitement.

• Most private hives have copied the original Arma 2 buildings and just copy pasted them, if other Map mods like Taviana and Namalsk are not counted. and 95% of the buildings will have interiors, something that would never be possible on a stable private hive or mod.

(It did not allow me to add anymore Quotes so i just put quotation marks after every sentence i did not type.)

• "Rocket has specifically said on several occasions that the graphics will NOT be improved upon, so please stop fapping your guts out at how "beautiful" things look, it's making you look silly."
  • Even the little things, such as improved lighting and shadows make it look like a new game, and they have actually added new grass similiar to Arma 3 grass, and the trees are made so that on lower setting they wont look like paper trees, like in arma 2, so some improvements have been made.

• "No vehicles at release because they're reworking them... I'm sorry, what? Isn't that the point of the standalone?"
  • Simple answer is that they cant add everything to alpha as every fan and community member is urging them to release the game. And no thats not the point of the standalone nor the alpha, the point of the alpha is for players to find the most malicious bugs and report them not actually play it as a full release. I'm also pretty sure they don't want to add vehicles at the release because they want to test how the servers can handle all the new stuff. Adding vehciles could cause the famous servers down for couple of days just after the release effect.

"It's genuinely baffling me how this is exciting to anyone. It also seems that we've reverted to the old defence of "It's pre-alpha" blah blah blah. By all means, keep allowing it to blind you. I'd say the rest of us will have moved on by the time this turd comes out. To the rest of you still circle-jerking each other over it, have fun. I think I'll spend my money on a game that the developers have put in the effort to make it look like a current generation title."

How many video game releases have you followed? They actually made their first notification that dayz is going to become a fully released standalone just 10 months ago and Arma 3 has been in development alot, alot longer.

"I wouldn't be surprised if the SA was killed by the mod.

I'd like to be proven wrong, but I doubt it somehow." How would that even be possible?

Edited by Aporis
  • Like 6

I'm surprised at the amount of accounts that have been created solely to trash the DayZ standalone...a game in Alpha. Its not anywhere CLOSE to being finished. What we'll be playing is going to be an ALPHA test, and we'll have just about a year until it hits Beta. Then a couple of months until ACTUAL release. But from what I've seen, some assholes are going to treat it like a full game like the idiots they are. Listen, it hasn't even been in development but for six freaking months. I can understand some criticism, but acting like this is going to be a total failure? What do YOU know? Explain to me just how you can see into the "future"? From what I understand, our whiny little friend has sent as many poorly trained conscripts from the dwindling Cunt army as he could to rage us into submission. Your mistake. We're a well oiled war machine, and your baseless arguments and poor grammar will never sway the masses. When the standalone is FULLY released, it'll be the best motherfucking game ever and you'll be a thing of the past.

Edited by Cap'n
  • Like 2

I'm surprised at the amount of accounts that have been created solely to trash the DayZ standalone...a game in Alpha. Its not anywhere CLOSE to being finished. What we'll be playing is going to be an ALPHA test, and we'll have just about a year until it hits Beta. Then a couple of months until ACTUAL release. But from what I've seen, some assholes are going to treat it like a full game like the idiots they are. Listen, it hasn't even been in development but for six freaking months. I can understand some criticism, but acting like this is going to be a total failure? What do YOU know? Explain to me just how you can see into the "future"? From what I understand, our whiny little friend has sent as many poorly trained conscripts from the dwindling Cunt army as he could to rage us into submission. Your mistake. We're a well oiled war machine, and your baseless arguments and poor grammar will never sway the masses. When the standalone is FULLY released, it'll be the best motherfucking game ever and you'll be a thing of the past.

Don't take it to the heart man , its unhealthy.

What people don't seem to realize is the amount of effort and time it takes to make a game.

To put it in perspective I'll use a game people know and criticize a LOT, Call of Duty.

The standalone team have been working on this for less than a year, probably around 9~10 months.

Each CoD iteration is worked on by separate teams (IW and Treyarch), so basically they take a year and 9 months (give or take) to make a new game.

But even with a team of ~100 working on the game, they still have the same engine with little to no revamping and the overall changes to the game are really not that major (using the change from MW2 to MW3 here).

I'm not sure about the size of the team working on the SA but I can't say that it would be more than 60 people, with even less probably working on the core of the game.

And the fact that they have taken the ArmA engine and converted it to a more MMO style of architecture frankly is HUGE. The task itself would have taken up so much of that 9~10 months that the current state of the game is where I would expect it.

Yes I see all the glitches and imperfections but they're not un-fixable.

There are many exciting games being released in the near future, not to mention the ones that have already released, DayZ is not the be all and end all. I will buy it as soon as it comes available but I'm not going to sink 100% of my gaming time into it.

All I'm saying is that expecting the game to be in a polished state is foolish and anyone who does doesn't have a clue.

Edited by Kyzahh
  • Like 3

oorah lol. finaly a thinking person.

I have the feeling some people do not read the entire thread prior to their posting. :|

Welcome to the interwebz :)

I really hope they add all the clothing pieces possible to completely re-create the "survivor" and "bandit" of the mod

that'd be epic

• Like 4

I really hope they add all the clothing pieces possible to completely re-create the "survivor" and "bandit" of the mod
I want a chance of seeing a DayZMod "survivor" skin for a Zed, too.

Like an Easter-Egg sort of thing.

that'd be epic

Yeah, I'm glad they're scrapping the humanity system (I think). I'd like to see ways to craft clothing into something more menacing. People going around with face-scarves and with skulls painted (by themselves!) on their motorcycle helmets will be known as the bandits they undoubtedly are, while more friendly players will opt for regular clothing.

Don't say that the bandits won't paint skulls on their clothing in order to dupe people; they will. It's just too bad-ass for any bandit to pass up.

honestly for 6 months with 7 people they have done a tremendous job! look at The WarZ its been out for 8 months now! and what has been done: they added more zombies and tried to stop the hacking (although it's still being hacked, they have no stronghold servers, was promoted as being available in beta, beta started December 2012, lack of content) and they have more people then DayZDev

so what has the dev team done these last 6 months! bigger maps/ interior buildings /MMO structure to prevent hacking (needs testing but hopefully works) / revamped inventory (seems to work, sort of) / complete new zombie animations/ new weapons textures + new weapons!

that's a lot of content that they created in about 6 months! give them some credit! imagine that in another 6 months we probably have vehicles/ simple stash hideouts and extra content that we didn't think off!

Their main focus as by an interview today rocket said he wanted to focus on basebuilding! and let me be frank that is THE most requested feature for me ( more so then vehicles) so yea! I believe in them to deliver!

even though I also see the glitches in the inventory that aren't working and the unsynchronised zombie animations and walking through walls/ plus insane speed inside/outside! BUT that requires mainly debugging and tweaking! nothing so far that I have seen can't be fixed or tweaked!

the only thing I am worried about is the hacking! that will make or break this game! nothing else! so if the 6 months they spend on creating a MMO structure pays of then yea! we should be very very thankful that they have done this!

instead of going the easy way of creating more vehicles and zombies like some of mods like origin where hacking is just as easy.

so if people prefer to play the origin mod or any third party modification of the dayZ mod go ahead and get hacked to death! :P ( get it?)

EDIT: excuse the typo's can't be bothered to fix them after rereading it! English is not my first language and unless you can flawlessly typ Dutch sentences you need to STFU :D

Edited by BelgarionNL
  • Like 3

http://kotaku.com/da...or-we-513010392

Good Q&A plus new screens! Unsure if this is the same interview as the aforementioned "reddit" one, hadn't seen this before.

Mosin-Nagant anybody? Oh wait, might be a Kar98, I think it is...

I really hope that's how the lighting ends up looking in SA.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 4

Just a quick question - but has anyone here actually been involved in alpha testing of a game before?

I only say this because my expectations of an alpha seem completely different to some others expectations.

I don't want to spout the classic "It's only an alpha" response but really, some people are getting all het up about some really insignificant things, or things we know are only placeholders.

If anyone mentions fonts again i swear.............................

• Like 6

An alpha is that thing that comes out two weeks before the finished game is released right..

Seriously though, the zombies need A LOT of work. Everything else is shaping up nicely considering it's currently pre-alpha, my biggest fear is there is some technical limitation as to why zombies will always be a buggy mess though.

Edited by SmashT
  • Like 6

Something about fonts.

It's not even specific to alpha testing games. It's like nobody has ever done anything, ever.

Things require planning.

If you're painting something, you'll sketch it first. If you're building a house, you'll put up a scaffold.

If the same critics who spout "Stop repeating the 'it's an ALPHA' excuse" realised and understood "it's an ALPHA", folks wouldn't have to repeat it constantly.

EDIT: As a general rule, if you see a feature you don't like, find out what the intentions of said feature are before you start outright bitching about it.

Edited by Chabowski
  • Like 2