RollingLizard1

Remove gamma and brightness settings

PLEASE make it so gamma and brightness settings can only be set at the start of a game and never during! Changing your brightness and gamma settings during game play to see better at night, to me is no different than hacking to gain an unfair advantage.

If a player can just change settings to see better at night, well you might as well just get rid of the night vision goggles, they are not needed. Just one thing less to worry about while developing the game.

A few players I've talked to would prefer not adjusting gamma and brightness but feel forced to as other players will do it and have an unfair advantage.

While were at it why not just add a color, saturation and hue option that way we can adjust it so players will look orange against a grey background.

I really enjoy how immersive DayZ is to play. I like the fact that gear is going to be really searched for and that zeds will be tougher in the future. This all means nothing when you allow such an easy way to cheat like adjusting gamma and brightness. Not to mention that it takes away from the whole DayZ experience.

• Like 9

its just a exploit we all have to deal with.

i don't think making it only accessible in beginning of game will stop people from doing it.

• Like 1

I like how they did it in ArmA 3

ZVK0Qhm.jpg

Dhd85M3.jpg

• Like 13

I hope you also don't like servers with third-person mode enabled. (Because that would be hypocrisy.)

You can peek around corners and over walls because of the displaced camera, so that gives other players an unfair advantage. You don't have to do it, but it's better if you do, since others are doing it as well.

Edited by Dancing.Russian.Man
  • Like 7

I hope you also don't like servers with third-person mode enabled. (Because that would be hypocrisy.)

You can keep around corners and over walls because of the displaced camera, so that gives other players an unfair advantage. You don't have to do it, but it's better if you do, since others are doing it as well.

i bind my alt key to switch views.

so i can grab the benefits of third person and first person.

everyone should do the same and just stop complaining about it.

• Like 1

i bind my alt key to switch views.

so i can grab the benefits of third person and first person.

everyone should do the same and just stop complaining about it.

I use tab and tilda.

Anyway:

There's good reason for leaving gamma and brightness in, and that's to maximize all-accessibility to all consumers. Not everyone's PC has an optimized display for gaming, and are too dark, especially old computers. I have 2 TVs from before 2005 and five. One is too small for today's formating, and because Microsoft and Sony don't want to waste time and energy on outdated, low-priority consumers such as myself, no reformat options are available to display a game without the sides cut off. Both TVs have extreme difficulty with text and color; every game is extremely dark. Without the gamma/brightness settings on in GTA4, I literally would be a black blob running around black nothing getting nothing done.

(I of course have a modern TV I now* use which is fantastic. Can't wait for the PS4's 4K display. BF4 is going to be amazing)

Suffice to say, for the sake of playing Devil's Advocate, there's good reason to leave them in. Even if it's not an option, you can change your PCs brightness and gamma outside of the game (and it doesn't give you the washed-out, white-on-gray display that ArmA does when gamma is turned up)

Edited by Applejaxc
  • Like 2

I use tab and tilda.

Anyway:

There's good reason for leaving gamma and brightness in, and that's to maximize all-accessibility to all consumers. Not everyone's PC has an optimized display for gaming, and are too dark, especially old computers. I have 2 TVs from before 2005 and five. One is too small for today's formating, and because Microsoft and Sony don't want to waste time and energy on outdated, low-priority consumers such as myself, no reformat options are available to display a game without the sides cut off. Both TVs have extreme difficulty with text and color; every game is extremely dark. Without the gamma/brightness settings on in GTA4, I literally would be a black blob running around black nothing getting nothing done.

(I of course have a modern TV I know use which is fantastic. Can't wait for the PS4's 4K display. BF4 is going to be amazing)

Suffice to say, for the sake of playing Devil's Advocate, there's good reason to leave them in. Even if it's not an option, you can change your PCs brightness and gamma outside of the game (and it doesn't give you the washed-out, white-on-gray display that ArmA does when gamma is turned up)

exactly what i was about to type.

totally on point :beans:

You can peek around corners and over walls because of the displaced camera, so that gives other players an unfair advantage. You don't have to do it, but it's better if you do, since others are doing it as well.

Even if a server offers third person I stay in first person or what I prefer to call mouselook. I do have to turn down head bob so I don't have a seizure while running, but as that is a medical necessity and it stays the same way through out my game play.

Ok I'm off now to Disney World I'll make sure to ask them to turn on all the lights in the Haunted Mansion ride cause I sure don't want to be immersed in the ride experience.

• Like 4

Even if a server offers third person I stay in first person or what I prefer to call mouselook. I do have to turn down head bob so I don't have a seizure while running, but as that is a medical necessity and it stays the same way through out my game play.

Ok I'm off now to Disney World I'll make sure to ask them to turn on all the lights in the Haunted Mansion ride cause I sure don't want to be immersed in the ride experience.

lol...

Beans to you sir.

I use tab and tilda.

Anyway:

There's good reason for leaving gamma and brightness in, and that's to maximize all-accessibility to all consumers. Not everyone's PC has an optimized display for gaming, and are too dark, especially old computers.

I did say allow adjustment at the start of the game and not during gameplay. At the least they would have to log and exit the server to make adjustments. As far as using windows settings to make adjustments. After giving pc support to people I'm surprised some people can even turn on their pc. I once had a person ask me which key was the "any" key. Another when instructed to put a disk in the cdrom drive asked "oh you mean the cup holder?"

• Like 1

I did say allow adjustment at the start of the game

this wouldn't work...

do i have to explain why?

i'm sure you can see it.

this wouldn't work...

do i have to explain why?

i'm sure you can see it.

I know dammit! I just hate when people take advantage of an option don't they know they are only cheating themselves. Just need some way to make it more inconvenient.

I like how they did it in ArmA 3

ZVK0Qhm.jpg

Dhd85M3.jpg

is this still a thing in Arma3? can someone give any feedback please and if this would be an ideal solution for dayz as well?

• Like 2

always is guys who use 3rd person exploit :huh:

always is guys who use server hop exploit >:(

always is guys who use magic eyes see at night gamma bullshit exploit :blush:

always is pussy guys who looking for way to make game easier for them from fear and no skill :o

me I don't give fucks no more I playing only for me

I compete only against myself

I play hardcore always :thumbsup:  ;)

I know this make me better player is fact B)

what other guys doing don't affect me they only cheat on themselves and if they don't care to play bullshit dayz why I care? :rolleyes:

Edited by KoS
  • Like 5

what other guys doing don't affect me they only cheat on themselves and if they don't care to play bullshit dayz why I care? :rolleyes:

KOS that's KMOS mentality! Kill Me On Sight...

• Like 1

always is guys who use 3rd person exploit :huh:

Third-Person is not an exploit. It was clearly intended for the game.

The gamma settings are technically an exploit but in all honesty the current night-time is so bad that you almost feel forced to.

If they were to correct the night-time to make it playable than I'd have no problem with a reduction in this type of option, but keep in mind that people have monitors which look incredibly dark. 

I don't have a prob with it TBH, it helps mostly in near pitch black scenario. In a fully pitch black night, it hardly helps atall lol. As for 3rd person....its not a hack, exploit, or advantage for anyone..... its a tool. A tool anyone can use, so is therefore not overpowered in any way :P

They just have to do it that you have to adjust to a certain picture and then it is set. If you want to change it you have to restart the game although it's techincally not necessary anymore giving away precious time. They should also add a note to the players name that he adjusted his settings like "I am a pussy that's why i play at night with gamma and contrast set at max." sthing like that.

Edited by Enforcer

There is a limit t how high a gamma and brighness anybody should need to have, I hope they dont have it being able to be changed a head and then people that wanna exploit get the advantages as always, just like 3rd person hax.

the rocket said they are leaving in the gamma/brightness issue(3:20:00 stream vid) because they just dont know what to do about it

Atleast decrease the amount how drastically you can change it, you can literally turn night into a day!

• Like 2

I adjust the brightness and gamma in DayZ Mod because I want to actually be able to play the game when it is night time. Its not my fault they made it almost impossible to see. Have you tried running through a forest or looting a barn in pitch darkness?

So far as the Standalone goes, I played night time a bit last night and I didn't need to adjust any settings because it was a full moon and I had a flashlight to see in the interior of buildings. I'll have to see if this works on all occasions, but to be frank, if you have to adjust a setting to actually be able to play a game, its not the player that is at fault but the game itself (edit: of course I don't mean performance wise cause that can be down to the hardware of the player)

Edited by DoctorBadSign

the rocket said they are leaving in the gamma/brightness issue(3:20:00 stream vid) because they just dont know what to do about it

Interesting, I didn't catch that. Someone should post about this on Reddit. They already got the perfect solution in Arma3, so I don't understand why he is that helpless.

So Doc then wait until there is no moon and then tell us how it looks like. If you have moon in the mod it's also pretty bright and thanks to them seemingly fixing the lighting problems the light issue has lessened. In the mod you could light up a wall but it stayed black because it didn't have a reflecting surface ( the light went through ).