rocket

No DevBlog this week but here is some screens

Hello there

I think the image of the improvements to the feel of reality are not so much GFX prettiness rather the fleshing out of the gameworld itself to more represent reality.

If there was a comparision befrore/after shot then folk would appreciate the work a little more.

a to the GUI I can envisage it being tarted up a little by colour/font changes etc It just needs a little visual refinement, but it's how it works that is important.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 9

For me it would be enough to just have the colors (red and green for example) be more washed out to fit the "DayZ style". Which probably is something that will be done.

• Like 1

I like the setup of the UI. Anything which is easy to understand and operate is going to be better than a bonny, fiddly thing.

As for the font. Wouldn't you all rather just have Comic Sans MS all over everything?

Everyone loves Comic Sans.

• Like 3

I like the setup of the UI. Anything which is easy to understand and operate is going to be better than a bonny, fiddly thing.

As for the font. Wouldn't you all rather just have Comic Sans MS all over everything?

Everyone loves Comic Sans.

Remember this for April Fools update, rocket.

i like the subtle changes/improvements of the second pic, trees, grass, maybe the asphalt?. i like subtle. i am the average subtle type of guy... where are the beehives in the trees? oh an anthill nearby the road?

but as Rage already said. clearly it shouldn't be about the graphics. of course you should please the masses to some extent but it is the content what interests me the most.

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 1

Well I've yet to play DayZ Standalone above medium, because I develop and play on a laptop.

We have considered graphical improvements, such as DX11 - but doing something like that WILL delay the project by one/two years. Not only does a large amount of code need to be rewritten - but you have a great deal of art to be change (like, nearly everything). I'm really repeating myself on this topic for the millionth time.

DX11 would have been awesome, but the engine can already produce beautiful visuals. If you're telling us that it will look identical graphically to ArmA II I'm perfectly happy with that. I think there are some people who are deluding themselves as far as visuals go.

Anyway thanks for the reply, I'm still buying it.

• Like 2

a to the GUI I can envisage it being tarted up a little by colour/font changes etc It just needs a little visual refinement, but it's how it works that is important.

Rgds

LoK

I could sort of understand people getting annoyed, especially if they were under the impression that it was going to be improved, however in this situation it's been clearly stated that they would rather go for practicality than attractiveness. That's reasonable. Heck, just throw in the option to change the colour of the UI and font and I'm sold. Nothing is more appealing to me than red on black.

Obviously a small dev team cannot focus on improving graphics which, as rocket said, can take a very long time to do. If the functionality is pleasing than that's perfect for now! DayZ is a great game that hopefully will carry a legacy so that bigger developers can make great similar games in the future.

• Like 1

Welcome back Rocket & cheers for the heads up mate, keep up the great work. :thumbsup:

EDIT at second glance: What's with the window cleaner?

Edited by Grunner

Hey, Dean!

Nice with some progress.. The early inventory system is already shown at PAX but I'll see the items got a 3d models.

But could you post some more pictures? Perhaps a populated town with zombies, or a new/old location. That would be awesome!

One thing I notice with the WIP inventory is the lack of, in lack of a better term, cosmetic gear slots; like necklaces, earrings and other things to customize your avatar. And what about being able to wear a t-shirt, a tactical vest and then a jacket over all that? As in multiple gear slots for each "area" of the avatar.

Thoughts? :)

EDIT: Perhaps the squares won't even be there later and you drag and drop directly on the 3D model. I'm sure I remember we would be able to find one shoe only, and maybe find two different kinds and wear one on each foot, which is hard if there is only one slot!

Edited by Terrorviktor
  • Like 5

Personally, I think the inventory looks fine. Sure it could use a little polish but it was clearly designed for function first and foremost and that is absolutely the right move.

What I really want to know though: How does night look?

Oh, and for the record, 140 characters may not qualify as a dev blog, but I think 4 sentences and 2 screen shots absolutely does.

• Like 4

thank you for update, dont care about graphics if its gonna be the same as in ARMA 2 with volumetric clouds, im happy with that

Most likely is, I wonder what the thing is in the last second row.

Yeah, it's disinfectant, I saw gameplay/interview with rocket, and he used it on some beans.

In the last row, it looks like painkillers, a canteen, food, and I don't know what the small thing is.

@ Dean

are there ideas for any props such as beehives or/and ant hills for example...or dead ppl hung from trees? props just for a very deep and frustrating gaming experience? to depict more desolation and desperation. scenes of the past rush and fear. i see you made quite some effort in doing a more authentic environment already.

edit:

would you see the condition of your rucksack/jeans/hoodie by the looks of the inventory..that would be neat. so you could immediately see if something is going to be kaput in a while and you would lose all your packed stuff

Edited by joe_mcentire

To any comments about an ugly UI or that the field looks the same, you are going to be disappointed. They will not substantially suddenly enhance their prettiness.

:(

96673a7db441ecbbd374fd07b4a3455b.png

I'd like to see this "artwork"

• Like 1

DX11 would have been awesome, but the engine can already produce beautiful visuals. If you're telling us that it will look identical graphically to ArmA II I'm perfectly happy with that. I think there are some people who are deluding themselves as far as visuals go.

Anyway thanks for the reply, I'm still buying it.

GREAT WORK DayZ Team!

AS for DirectX11 That would've been a good addition to DayZ S, especially since I'm playing Stalker Call of Pripyat, now I know its not the same engine But its using Dx11 and the effects are great!

The visuals, atmosphere are awesome and not bad for an aged engine, real immersion.

Dayz and Direct X 11 would have been a treat for sure in bringing in some of those great storm effects from Stalker CoP to the world of DayZ. :)

But heck, I can't wait another 2 years for DayZ Standalone, maybe add in a patch someday Rocket? :)

BTW, I Love the UI the way it is. :)

Edited by Miami_bat

What I really want to know though: How does night look?

Night looks fucking awful at the moment. I mean, just really, really bad.

But we're aware of it and we have plans to fix it, which is where the DX11 conversation came from.

• Like 3

I'd like to see this "artwork"

Red and green boxes etc... becoming their actual buttons. That sort of thing

• Like 2

What part of the map is that road picture taken from?

Im thinking im going to run around Chernarus spraying everyone with disinfectant. Just call me Mr Clean.

• Like 2

i like how the inventory is arranged. i hope there will be added some background(-style) in a future patch. maybe something like that http://dayz-survivor.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/inventory.jpg .

And it would be awesome if ur able to adjust invetory/bar size and make the quick bar invisible when ur inventory is not open.

2nd pic looks awesome :thumbsup:

• Like 1