ThatGoldenGuy

Reading

I've been reading Stephen King's 'It'. It's more of an encyclopaedia than a book, over 1500 pages, but it's brilliant reading like all of King's work. I recommend 'The Shining' out of all his books that I've read, I'd go as far as to say it's more enjoyable than the film.

Be interested to know what you thought of the last couple of chapters, i read it in the late 80's.

I'm an avid reader... Some of my favorites include:

Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods;

The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle;

With the Old Breed by Eugene B. Sledge (a memoir that much of The Pacific was based on);

Robert Heinlein's Strander In A Strange Land (great sci-fi - very thoughtful);

The Sea Wolf by Jack London.

That is of course aside from the obvious classics like Conrad, Salinger, Melville, Asimov, Dostoevsky, Wells, Dickens, Huxley, and the other writers I enjoy.

Hello There

I'm re reading PKD's "Do androids dream of Electric Sheep". Worth a read IMHO.

I just got that book! Good to know.

Hey all!

I haven't read much outside of school in the past few years, but I always make time to read the Emberverse series. SM Stirling, fantasy/sci-fi thing. World loses all modern technology in the 1990's and people form tribes and kingdoms and such in the ruins of civilization.

Pretty neat reading, gets really fantasy in the latter part of the saga.

I really love Tom Clancy's older work (I.E. Jack Ryan/Jack Ryan Jr.). All great reads.

Nineteen Eighty Four, Brave New World, Don Quixote, WH40k novels (inb4 nerd) and novels by Harry Turtledove are all great reads as well.

Hello,

Nice thread.

I'm a huge fan of Robert A. Heinlein, he has some amazing books i can recommend, among others: Methuselah's Children, Time Enough For Love, Stranger In A Strange Land...

I also enjoy horror, survival stories... Recently i've read World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks (meh...) i'm currently reading True Haunting by Edwin Becker, bought on Amazon for $2.95 (kindle), and, for sanity sake, Unity 3.x Game Development Essentials (hell, i want to know how Dayz is done).

Next one on my list something from Stephan King, from whom i've only read Gerald's Game - actually this one is a great survival horror story :)

If you or anyone is in to fantasy some must reads are:

All the books by Raymond E Feist - Magician is the first one

All the books by David Gemmel - I would start with Druss the Legend, or Lion of Macedon (there are a couple of different series though)

If you or anyone is in to fantasy some must reads are:

All the books by Raymond E Feist - Magician is the first one

All the books by David Gemmel - I would start with Druss the Legend, or Lion of Macedon (there are a couple of different series though)

I'll go along with that, they were almost the first 2 fantasy authors I got into, though David Eddings' Belgarion series was my introduction to the genre. My local library back in the day was excellent for sci fi and fantasy.

Plus Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman's Dragonlance books I guy at school lent me.

If you are into old-school SiFi, you should read "Isak Asimovs - Foundation-Triology" its THE spaceopera. It was written in the late 50s and beginning of the 60s and published part per part in one of the first SiFi-Magazines. Although it got its lengths I really love the book, because it covers a story of epic dimensions. 

I'm not far from finishing my English degree so you could say I'm a fan of reading. :P

I just finished the first of the Foundation series the other day. I really can't pick a top three. A top ten would be too difficult. Off the top of my head...

The Odyssey/Illiad

Heart of Darkness

Percy Jackson series

I read a good amount of young adult and Fantasy. I need to read the second Kingkiller book and more of Foundation but I already have a huge backlog. I picked up a couple Hemingway novels recently since I'm a huge fan of his short stories, and I got Le Mort d'Arthur since I'm taking an Authurian Tradition class this coming semester.

And I've blasted through about five 40k novels in the past couple months

Edited by Murtag

To me personally, the most life-changing book (as of the last year) was probably Flowers for Algernon. It has been in my Recommended Reading folder for about two years, and when I finally got my hands on it, it was something mindblowing. I decided to write a whole term paper on the functions of dreaming in this book, which lead me to a couple of fresh thoughts on how our subconsciuos may affect our lives in a long-term perspective. It's mostly a Freudian point of view, as Jung and Lacan were pretty complicated reads for me, having pretty opposite opinions.