ThatGoldenGuy

Reading

Anyone else on the Forums into reading?

I usually like Fantasy or Survival books... But I enjoy all kinds, if anyone else is a really big read name your top 3 books in the "Comments" below.

Top Three:

1.Eragon (Inheritance Cycle)

2.The Hobbit (LOTR Included)

3.Hatchet (All three books)

Those are just my personal favourite and I could name much, much more.

Hello there

I think we already have a thread on this, but for now I shall join in (although I may merge tomorrow)

Reading is a splendid hobby I recommend highly.

LOTR and the H is wonderful The Silmarillion I could not get into.

H.P Lovecraft is a God

as is Harry Harrison and his Stainless Steel Rat series and the Deathworld trilogy, which I think A new Will Smith Film has ripped off.

FYI Deathworld 1 is free to download from any and all "out of print/copyright" places whose name escape me for the moment. Do a google.

Literature? Bring it on!

Rgds

LoK

My brain is either overclocked or sedated most of the time.

As much as I understand the appreciation for reading, I really need sight and sound stimulation.

The Moons a Balloon was one of my first reads that i remember with a lot of enjoyment. David Nivens biography..very british.

"For the most part, the masters [at school] were even more frightening. It would be charitable to think that they were shell-shocked heroes returned from the hell of Mons and Vimy, but it seems more probable that they were sadistic perverts who had been dredged up from the bottom of the educational barrel at a time of acute manpower shortage."

bucketloads of irony. dry humour and wit. Brilliant book :)

My top 3 book series are probably this:

1. The Wheel of Time

2. The First Law

3. Assassin's Apprentice

Aside from that I'm pretty much just waiting for the next installments in series like the Kingkiller Chronicle and Sword of Shadows

The Inheritance Cycle was pretty good, but the end was disappointing in my opinion.

Don't really have any top books, but I've read a ton of Star Wars books, basically everything from the Yuzonvong War and up to the current release which I need to finish that finishes up the Fate of the Jedi books. I've read Game of Thrones which I liked, I read about the first 3 or 4 Halo books, World War Z was awesome, and right now I currently have to read the Star Wars Admiral Thrawn trilogy, Metro 2033, Dwarves, the newest Star Wars book, but I just keep getting sidetracked by games and tv shows to focus on the books lol

Edited by Maxgor

Don't really have any topics books, but I've read a tone of Star Trek books, basically everything from the Yuzonvong War and up to the current release which I need to finish that finishes up the Fate of the Jedi books. I've read Game of Thrones which I liked, I read about the first 3 or 4 Halo books, World War Z was awesome, and right I currently have to read the Star Wars Admiral Thrawn trilogy, Metro 2033, Dwarves, the newest Star Wars book, but I just keep getting sidetracked by games and tv shows to focus on the books lol

You mean Star Wars books, I've read a lot of those too, but I lost interest a few years ago.

A must read are all books of Bernard Cornwell and Conn Iggulden.

If you like historical fiction then these are the best for you. Very interesting and engaging stories interweaved with historical facts. Favourite is the Conqueror Series by Conn Iggulden on the life of Genghis Khan and his dynasty, and also the Warlord Chronicles by Bernard Corwell on the Viking raids and invasion of Britain in the 9th century AD.

Hello there

Just finished James Clavell's Shogun and Carl Sagan's Pale Blue Dot. Both superb.

I'm now re reading "I Partridge, we need to talk about Alan".

I could never get into the Dark Tower books. I did try. Some SK either works for me or leaves me cold. His story "The Body" is phenomenal though.

Rgds

LoK

Just read Mad,Bad and Dangerous To Know by Ranulph Fiennes. Was great Autobio, Ralph is ex SAS who spent his days traveling and pushing himself to the ultimate limits.

http://www.amazon.com/Mad-Bad-Dangerous-Know-Autobiography/dp/0340951699

Started reading 'Watch for me on the Mountain' by Forrest Carter on the traino home this arvo, 109 pages in and cannot put it down. The story of Geronimo, very compelling read so far.

Harry Harrison's "Bill the galactic hero" series was a hoot.

Used to like the fantasy books of Gemmel and Fiest when I was a teen.

Shogun I read at 15 and still remember it, was stunning ands better than the tv series (ahem), and very long I seem to recall.

Anyone ever read "Journey to the End of Night" by Louis-Ferdinand Celine? Completely nuts. But I like a lot of lit from the 30s and that period with the likes of Steinbeck, Dos Passos, all the way up to Nelson Algren.

Edited by philbottle

I've been reading Stephen King's 'It'. It's more of an encyclopaedia than a book, over 1500 pages, but it's brilliant reading like all of King's work. I recommend 'The Shining' out of all his books that I've read, I'd go as far as to say it's more enjoyable than the film.

Anyone else on the Forums into reading?

I usually like Fantasy or Survival books... But I enjoy all kinds, if anyone else is a really big read name your top 3 books in the "Comments" below.

Top Three:

1.Eragon (Inheritance Cycle)

2.The Hobbit (LOTR Included)

3.Hatchet (All three books)

Those are just my personal favourite and I could name much, much more.

I love Hatchet! Our teacher read the books to us in primary school and I'd completely forgotten about them until now! Good stuff. I read mostly autbiographies, people who grow up in polygamist cults, women who run away to Africa to marry Massai men, holocaust survivors etc. Good reads! Loved The Hobbit too