Require

Should we host our own server?

So my clan and I have been debating whether or not to get our own public hive server. Our main issue isn't money/server availability, but if it would be worth owning a server before the (hopefully) short amount of time before the standalone is released. Only one of our members has had actual experience as an admin for a Dayz server. We plan on getting a server for certain when the standalone is released (if available to public?) but are wondering if we should own our own for the experience before hand. I think the biggest problem of our debate is if the Dayz servers as of right now will be anything similar to the standalone. Just state your opinion below if you have admin experience or any information that can help us out. Thanks!

Running your own server allows you to play the game how you want it :) You can choose to personalise everything or not ... It gives you freedom.

On the other hand it's hard work and can be a right pain in the arse :lol: For me it's worth the effort but some admins have regretted it.

Most servers these days are month to month contracts, try it and decide after 4 weeks.

its up to you but there are already tonnes of servers with very low pop, most people don't realize how hard it is to keep regular players and manage the server. make sure you think about this before making a decision.

Like Rick already posted. Adminning and regulating a public hive server is pretty hard. No admin tools are available, nearly all the cheat detection is done 'by hand' so to say (going through logs multiple times a day dishing out bans on hackers based on log evidence).

Also, public hives are pretty much under hack attacks multiple times a day, so (in your case) having only 1 active admin isn't going to do your population much good. This is my personal opinion. We have multiple admins that deal with the log files, but we're still struggling to keep our server clear of hackers.

On a side note, I still love playing on our public server and I dont want to discourage you into not renting a server, but be prepared for a hell of a job! If you do decide to rent a server, make sure you rent it from a hoster which gives you the option to configure multiple (trusted) people access to the servers ftp as this is the place you'll be doing most of your adminning.