Sign in to follow this  
DedMan

Infection and the spread effect

Hello everyone,

I was just sitting in one of my classes checking reddit when I thought of a great idea (well great in my opinion, your opinions will vary obviously :P ).

Because the zombies contain an infection which is most likely spread through contact from blood, pollution in water etc. you would have to be wary of going near bodies.

So getting to what would be interesting to have implemented in the standalone is a feature where dead bodies of players and zombies alike hold the infection and going near them or touching them can give you the possibility of getting the infection yourself (basically you will die slowly like having a cold in the mod). If the bodies are near a water source they could contaminate the water so you can get the infection from drinking the water.

A way to solve this problem for the players would be being able to drag the bodies and make a pile where you can douse the pile of bodies in fuel. Then you can set the bodies on fire and attempt to eliminate the threat of infection from the bodies. The fire would burn very bright with black smoke which would attract the attention of other players so you would have to make the decision of lighting the fire or moving on.

As an example scenario: My clan and I have just cleared out a little farm and would like to set up our base there but with the dead spread throughout the farm we could all get the infection and die as its incurable. So we have two options,

1) we stay and pile the bodies up away from the house/building we intend to fortify on the farm and burn the bodies which may draw other players near by.

2) we gather what we can from the farm and leave to look for an area less populated with zombies.

Because my clan and I are capable soldiers we would choose to stay and burn the bodies but away from the building, then begin to fortify our new home.

Just a suggestion that I think would be cool if it were added in the standalone.

And good luck to Rocket on his trip to Everest! :D

I think it's pretty safe to assume that if you haven't been infected at the point in a zombie apocalypse where DayZ takes place, you probably won't keel over because you walked near a dead guy.

You get bitten and scratched at all the time by zeds and never get sick, why would it make sense that a dead body could give it to you?

You weren't infected from the beginning, where it was the brunt of the infection spreading, why should you be infected from walking near a dead body or something?