Sign in to follow this  
zhrooms

DayZ Standalone - Viewing and Object Distance *Removed*

Edit: N/A

Edited by zhrooms
Dead Links
  • Like 6

I felt in love with the BF3's view distance and I would really love to see the same in Day Z. This is the only reason I want 10000/10000.

However, my laptop can only handle 10 fps at 1500/1000 so.... :(

the best example for how poorly it is in arma 2 is the pik kozlovka between cherno and elektro

in wasteland, using an M107 or AS50 and having range set to insane, you still cant see the topmost rock at the mountain (object), yet the player behind it

it took me about 10 shots to realize i can't hit the guy because there is an invisible rock between me and the victim

i'd love to be able to set the object detail to something higher than medium, but my rig just wont do it without dropping framerates like crazy, high being the maximum while still being playable and everything other set lower

i hope the engine has a better performance and the object distance being another setting like in arma 3, which runs way better than arma 2 on my pc

If DayZ wants to be anything beyond a Elektro-Černo sniper slugfest - it must increase the viewing distance. The current view distance of 1600 is frankly ridiculous: it discourages exploration and encourages the call-of-duty crowd.

I rely on view distance for orientation: landmarks, towers, hills - all of this disappears in DayZ, whereas in AA you get a vastly superior feel for the habitat.

Perhaps there could be a separate setting for player-fade to hinder the snipers and allay bandwidth problems.

Edited by Slowekistan

I think there should be the options to draw the viewdistance as far as in real life eventhough it will give a advantage for those with better computers...its annoying that we have to play around in a fog tank in dayz mod just because some ppl dont have good enough computers....its basically ruining any tactical gameplay related to scouting with binoculars or orienting in the landscape.

To much consideration is taken to those with low end computers if u ask me.

Edited by svisketyggeren

Edited by zhrooms
Dead Links
  • Like 1

I agree with zhrooms - if there's a fixed object view distance, please put it a few meters beyond the fog so things emerge rather than pop-up.

And the only time a view distance of 3 km and up actually has any use is when you're up in the air, there's a mod for the A3 Alpha that changes view distance when you're in a vehicle or aircraft so maybe they could look into that.

• Like 1

a) The rendering-distance in SA will be a lot farther. Trees on mountains in the background f.e. will be visible.

B) The rendering-distance will be set server-side, by the server-owner.

conclusion: don't panic, they know what they are doing.

a) The rendering-distance in SA will be a lot farther. Trees on mountains in the background f.e. will be visible.

B) The rendering-distance will be set server-side, by the server-owner.

conclusion: don't panic, they know what they are doing.

Did you even read the post? Dean said himself Object Distance is NOT locked to View Distance, so trees are NOT showing up on hills far away, that's what the post is all about.

If he has said anything else that I don't know about, please provide the source. Dean said the above at PAX 10 days ago, he's hardly said anything at all since, because he's been on his way to Everest.

Edited by zhrooms

Letting the server owner set everyone's view distance is not unfair.

People with low-end computers who unknowingly join a high view distance server will immediately notice that their performance is unplayable, and leave to find another server. People with high-end computers who want high view distance will play.

Everyone can find a server with preferences that suit them, just like the preferences of 3rd person, crosshairs, etc which have been in the mod since launch. I don't know what makes you think anyone will be forced to play on a high view-distance server.

I would say cap view and object distance client side rather than lock it, purely for the sake of maintaining scalability for those with modest hardware, who will be begging for a reduction at zilch fps.

• Like 1

What if you only limit the max view distance serverside, not the minimum? I'm pretty sure the devs already got that covered.

-edit: I see I just repeated RN_Max above me. Have some beans!

Edited by BadLuckBurt

Edited by zhrooms
Dead Links

Yes that's a valid thought, keep it at 1500 minimum just like in the Mod

Why would you enforce a minimum view distance? That doesn't make sense, you're at a great disadvantage with a low view-distance but that's no reason to force a minimum distance or am I missing something?

Why would you enforce a minimum view distance? That doesn't make sense, you're at a great disadvantage with a low view-distance but that's no reason to force a minimum distance or am I missing something?

If you didn't force a minimum one lots of players would be playing at 500 which would be the minimum in ArmA 2, and they would constantly get killed by snipers 500 meters away without even knowing it, that would definitely lead to an outraged community. I don't think you realize how little 500 actually is.

Picture of 500 View and Object Distance http://i.imgur.com/YbnsefX.jpg

As you can see, it just wouldn't work. It would break immersion just as well as gameplay.

Edited by zhrooms
  • Like 1

If you didn't force a minimum one lots of players would be playing at 500 which would be the minimum in ArmA 2, and they would constantly get killed by snipers 500 meters away without even knowing it, that would definitely lead to an outraged community. I don't think you realize how little 500 actually is.

Picture of 500 View and Object Distance http://i.imgur.com/YbnsefX.jpg

As you can see, it just wouldn't work. It would break immersion just as well as gameplay.

That is their problem. Or I would say our problem, because I have a shitty computer and be able to reduce view distance would help a lot to my performance. I know I will be on disadvantage against snipers and other players, but playing at 10 fps is even worse.

• Like 1

Thanks, that makes sense. I didn't think anyone would start playing at 500m but if your framerate is that low, there's only so much you can do I guess.

Edited by zhrooms
Dead Links

Dayz will be zombie survival game right ? So to create zombie apocalypse atmosphere there should be fog, clouds rain maybe ... so imo there is no point of making VD more then 2000m even this is almost to much.

I want old Dayz where I was more scare of zeds then some noob cemper sniper .....

• Like 2

Edited by zhrooms
Dead Links