RetroOctane

Sea Water Still

It's a common misconception that there is no easy way to make sea water drinkable. All you need to know is some basic physics. water evaporates, salt does not. I think it would be neat if players could collect supplies to make Sea water stills. There are a bunch of different designs, but here are the versions I think would be cool to see in Dayz.

Version 1: Needs = fire-proof container, pipe, empty tin can, fire, maybe a toolbox.

Salt water is put in the fire-proof container. A pipe is in the top of the container. A fire is then lit under the container. The water will evaporate and then condense in the pipe. The now clean water collects in the tin can.

Here's an example of a Version 1 still.

tumblr_mk1y5tixXO1r29jtyo1_500.jpg

Version 2. Needs = Entrenching tool, Large sheet of plastic, rocks, 2 tin cans.

First a hole is dug. Then an empty tin can is placed in the center of the hole. A tin can full of salt water is placed away from the center of the hole. Now the plastic sheet is placed on top of the hole. Rocks are used to keep the sheet in place. Then a rock is placed in the center of the sheet (above the empty can). Heat from the sun will cause the water in both cans (assuming water has already collected in the empty one) but the shape of the plastic will cause the clean water to keep collecting in the can in the center. This method requires no fire, but is slow and won't work at night.

You should know I have no idea if this one actual works.

Here's an example of a Version 2 still.

tumblr_mk1zirWhiu1r29jtyo1_400.jpg

So what do you think?

• Like 1

Pro Tip. The Version 2 Still is also an acceptable way to purify urine as drinking water. Your Welcome.

The second version would work better somewhere hot and with larger containers.

You can do something similar with 2 plastic bottles, a pipe and a shovel (or you could dig with your hands).

Dig a hole big enough for one of the bottles (preferably on an incline) put an empty bottle in the hole and cover it, with the pipe attatched to it and sticking out.

Fill the second bottle with sea-water and join the other end of pipe to it.

Leave the full bottle out in the sun, either level to or lower than the empty one. The water will evaporate and be collected in the buried (cooler) bottle, salt-free.

Any kind of distillation would take a while, even if you use the "fire" method.

I don't know if that could work in-game. DayZ has some slow-paced bits, but waiting to gather fractionated water might be a bit too slow.

The second version would work better somewhere hot and with larger containers.

You can do something similar with 2 plastic bottles, a pipe and a shovel (or you could dig with your hands).

Dig a hole big enough for one of the bottles (preferably on an incline) put an empty bottle in the hole and cover it, with the pipe attatched to it and sticking out.

Fill the second bottle with sea-water and join the other end of pipe to it.

Leave the full bottle out in the sun, either level to or lower than the empty one. The water will evaporate and be collected in the buried (cooler) bottle, salt-free.

Any kind of distillation would take a while, even if you use the "fire" method.

I don't know if that could work in-game. DayZ has some slow-paced bits, but waiting to gather fractionated water might be a bit too slow.

I think the second method would be nice for folks that setup camps.... essentially would be able to create a "water point" .... similar to a well.

Isn't there already a way to boil water to make it drinkable?

Boiling salt water will not make it drinkable, distillation will.

Edited by dayz247
  • Like 1

Boiling salt water will not make it drinkable, distillation will.

I think we should just do it by osmosis. Sea water stills are so "never-ever being in style ago"

• Like 1