Aremnant

Zombie Changes

I don't know about you guys, but I get the feeling that zombies are starting to become like the ninja rabbits: fast, annoying, and fun to shoot. The recent updates claimed to have brought back this survival horror aspect, but the only survival horror items I've seen is the horror at the absolute nothingness zombies can do and the question at whether I will be able to survive until zombies get higher that maggots on the food chain. So first things first: the concept of a zombie.To understand this thread better, I suggest that you go and grab the Project Zombiod demo and play it out, and read their argument over whether zombies should run or not. I want to bring this running vs. walking argument to DayZ. Right now, zombies are runners. No, this does not make them difficult. this makes them annoying as I have to take them down by first switching to my pistol. Something needs to change here. Firstly, the should be given massive amounts of health. Amounts of health that are so high, that only the AS50, M107, vehicles, and (maybe) LMGs can take them down without headshots. Also, their damage should be decreased, and chance to cause bleeding and broken bones decreased. The real radical part comes in now: zombies should be walkers. I mean, not much a difference in speed between meandering about and chasing you. At this point, you guys are probably thinking this is a horrible idea. May I remind you, that Project Zombiod has only walkers, but they consistently manage to kill you before your first ten days. I say there should be swarms. Chernarus has a stated population of 1.8 million. If you run around Cherno (the largest population), you will attract maybe 100-200 zombies. Tops. Do you know how much 100-200 zombies is? That is maybe 1-3 floors of one of the skyscrapers. I think zombie numbers should be drastically increased, and have a style of attack more similar to that seen in World War Z (This is a book that has nothing to do with the War Z). Nothing short of silenced/melee weapons will draw the attention of at least one zombie. And when he notices you, he immediately calls out to every zombie within 50 meters. Those zombies in turn will attract the attention of then next zombies in a 50 meter (diameter) circle. I want the danger of zombies to be not that the occasional zombie will break your bone and leave you at the mercy of the bandits, but that so many zombies appear that there is literally no way out, and you are forced to watch them painfully beat you to death before ripping you apart. Maybe these ideas don't fit in. I thank the community in advance for raging over these ideas in the most destructive way possible and destroying my future self esteem.

Note: with any luck, I will be releasing a rather long list of suggestions for DayZ (currently 11 pages and growing) sometime in the near future, if you are interested in my ideas.

About zombies having "massive amounts of health"- the idea was that they are just humans infected with a virus, not magically animated dead bodies. In that case, they can and will die of things that would normally cause a human to die. One of those being blood loss from gunshot wounds, or wounds that would be fatal to humans.

Edit: It does make sense that zombies are currently more vulnerable than humans mainly because they are composed of rotting flesh.

Edited by Willy Wonka

About zombies having "massive amounts of health"- the idea was that they are just humans infected with a virus, not magically animated dead bodies. In that case, they can and will die of things that would normally cause a human to die. One of those being blood loss from gunshot wounds, or wounds that would be fatal to humans.

Their health needs to at least be the same as humans then, rather than lower as currently is.

They aren't zombies, they are infected!

So they have the traits of human beings.

They aren't zombies, they are infected!

So they have the traits of human beings.

Yep, pretty much.

They are basically humans .. just uglier, less intelligent, and slightly smellier.

Edit: It does make sense that zombies are currently more vulnerable than humans mainly because they are composed of rotting flesh.

I think it should stay like this, just infected humans, though have to agree with OP making them run is only annoying because unless you try and lose them behind stuff they stay at your heels until you shoot them. I think maybe they should be slower (not walking maybe just an exhausted, stumbling jog) only they can smell you and will track you down for a couple kilometers unless you get in a vehicle and GTFO. They should also be able to make noises like they do now and that makes nearby infected join the chase. So if you try running through cherno you will have a swarm of infected hounding you. I think it would be terrifying to think you've lost them and set up a fire to cook meat and look back 200m and see 40+ infected coming towards you.

Also I think the only lethal thing about zombies atm is bleeding, I only get hurt nowadays because a zombie gets a lucky hit in but I start bleeding and I have to run a couple hundred meters to lose them and bandage, costs a fair bit of blood.

the 'monkey' zombies that crawl around on the ground atm look like they are trying to sniff out the trail of a survivor, so maybe the walking ones will follow these crawling types.

Edited by Chris529

28 Days/Weeks Later, are perfect for setting examples on how the infected should be IMO.

Note: with any luck, I will be releasing a rather long list of suggestions for DayZ (currently 11 pages and growing) sometime in the near future, if you are interested in my ideas.

hey guys i'd like to invite you http://dayzmod.com/f...ition-approach/ to add your thoughts there as well.

Edited by joe_mcentire

What, nobody mentioned Wall_Of_Text?

Edited by GotBeanZ