shadowboxer (DayZ)

Zombies Hearing And Vision

What do you guys think should they be reverted to the same as they were in 1.7.6 or should they stay the same as they are now in 1.7.6.1, or somwhere in between?

You should really be in constant fear of the infected really. To the point your shitting your breeches every time you go.. anywhere.

Otherwise you are basically playing 'Ray Mears Russian Rampage'.

This is going to take some time to get correct we need to find a base system to judge everything from now the sound for zeds is sort of working. We removed all chance based systems so we could get a feel for the zeds during this update this is where the feedback from you guys will help alot.

Its going to take a few trys to get the zeds close to a good level for everyone. Feedback is the key here.

This is going to take some time to get correct we need to find a base system to judge everything from now the sound for zeds is sort of working. We removed all chance based systems so we could get a feel for the zeds during this update this is where the feedback from you guys will help alot.

Its going to take a few trys to get the zeds close to a good level for everyone. Feedback is the key here.

What you mean no little brat ass kids yelling "this is bullshit", and "Why cant you morons get this right".... All of this coming from kids that drop out of high school, and thus will live in mommy's and daddy's basement till they are 40. Razor, just keep fine tuning it. I am sure your learning to take the valuble feedback and implement. We must rememeber that these are infected humans, so they have the same senses that are a specific strength. If you guys can keep this as the main baseline, then the adjustments should come from that base. No human can hear some one gutting an animal from 30 meters, nor hear a gas can, or filling a water bottle.It should take at least 3-4 shots, from a semi loud weapon, for an infected zombie to locate, with aggroooo. The investigate that noise scenario should be primary. When your crawling, in the dark, you should have no issue with being unseen in a ghillie from 20 meters and up. This would be a book if I kept placing my input, but the main thing I would stress is, do NOT let this slightly immature demographic(Dayzmod.com forums) disturb you guys, or your cause.

Thanks for all the work, and if they disagree, just offer them a refund as Orlok suggested.

Dren

Edited by Arkael Dren
  • Like 2

yea, it will take some time to get it tuned right, people need to accept that,im sure there is a good level of hearing/seeing that the devs will find soon, people have gotta realise that instead of complaining about it, they should start to give feedback, when i say feedback i mean detailed suggestions, this would help the devs in fine tuning it faster than it would take by themselves.

Fair enough, Couldn't ask for a more honest response from a dev than that - here is your feedback

Zombies in 1.7.5.1 were challenging, fun and fair. They played a huge part in the overall game and were a genuine pleasure to play against regardless of gear level.

Zombies in 1.7.6 are less than a minor annoyance. The AI update does not seem to have worked at all as if anything the zombies run in random directions MORE than before. They are no longer a challenge and are more annoying than entertaining. The Zeds now seem blind and deaf, to both humans and the cries of the other zeds around them (Zeds talking seems to be bugged)

• Like 1

I think the aggro range from sight its good in this patch, but i think you need to buff their hearing to at least close to 1.7.5.1, they are deaf as hell now.

• Like 1

1.7.5.1 for the win. It was the only patch that made me fear the zombies again. I was watching my step and my movement... But on the other hand they were too much buggy from times to times. Soon there will be a balance point i believe.

I think that 1.7.5.1 Pretty much hit the nail on the head. It made it less of PvP with zombies, because in previous versions i would run through the streets of Cherno grabbing loot as i went, but in 5.1, if you did that, you got overrun by undead, something that rarely ever happened in other versions. The only issue is that i thought that the range of hearing gutting and filling cans should only be like 5 m, which in that range they would probably aggro to sight.

The current state... huoh... not this easymode again :(

Zombie hearing: zombies should hear you if you make a noise and investigate, and they should alert their buddies by AAAARGA-AAArrRRRGghhhHHHhrrRR-RRRllLLLR - ragecries when they have visually spotted you, so that you quickly develop a chainreaction in populated areas that leads to a horde-panic.

So a zombie would first hear a sound (like footsteps on pavement), go investigate (walking fast zombie style, not running and raging), and then after a visual contact RAGE (run-attack-kill-murder-eatbrain) and alert all zombies in vicinity.

Zombies should hear footsteps, eating, drinking and other "soft sounds" within 50 meters. They should hear voice (talk over direct) at around 80 to 100 meters. Zombies should hear loud noises like loud cries of pain or pistolshots or chopping wood from around 200 meters. And finally, zombies should hear riffles and very loud weapons being shot from around 500 meters to as much as one kilometer.

Zombies should not go full mental rage agro from only sounds, but they should get going and 'investigate' the area where the sound originated from. They should only go full mental rage-agro when they see you, or hear another zombie going full mental rageaeeaeaeaeaaaarrgh!

Zombies eyesight: zombies should see you like a little bit boggy eyed human would do; under 200 meters they see you, 200-400 meters they see shapes and will get interested and get slowly closer to inspect and at 400-600 meters they can see "something" if the "something" is a large object and moving fast in well-lit conditions, and will try to inspect. Zombies should not spot you through objects, they should not see you when you are out of their field of vision and their eyesight should be very limited by light (dark night = blind zombie).

This is, totally in my opinnion, how zombies should be like.

• Like 1

The 1.7.6. Patch was so easy to survive when it came to zombies I ran 10 m in front of a group of zombies and not one aggroed

Thats what we get from all the kids that cryed about zombies being to hard in 1.7.5.1, no one is crying now because in my view zombies are now more easy than eve,r even before 1.7.5.1 they never were so dumbed down like this patch and thats what kids want, a COD game i even think that if the devs removed the zombies all together they would be even more happy.

I didint get when 1.7.5.1 came out all the whining about zombies being to difficult i mean this is a zombie game after all the main threat should be zombies in the first place, others players in the second right?

Sadly a minority here like me likes a challenge, but im hoping the devs sort this out because supposedly they are fine tuning zombie AI and thats why they dumbed down zombies again, we will see or all that is left its wait for standalone to have real challenging zombies.

So far I have enjoyed the new zombies in ways and disliked them in others.

I am loving the fact that there are zombies out in the fields and woods now. That alone made me super excited and really really ups the realism. I also like that they make their way towards you slowly over time even when they are not aggroed. Also the patching does seem much better.

Some changes like to see tweaked would be spawn radius. It seems to be around 150 meters (down from 300?) which kind gives you a pinpoint of where someone is if you are overlooking a town. Also if you travel through a town instead of popping the majority of the zombies you can of leave a trail of your currently path. Also some zeds seems to really have trouble noticing you now. In broad daylight I was walking back and forth in front of a zed about 10 meters away and he was looking/walking right towards me and I could not get him to aggro onto me until I got within melee distance.

Overall I think we are getting closer to having pretty solid zeds but they do need some more work still.

I can only echo the comments made here. Zs are not scary anymore, sadly, but the roaming Zs are brilliant!

Killing a Z should be risky and should always be weighed up. I miss the panic of hordes, running for my life and seeing my friends die...

28 days/weeks later is the perfect example for what we need in the standalone.

Some feed back..Buff everything about zombies

I think the aggro range from sight its good in this patch, but i think you need to buff their hearing to at least close to 1.7.5.1, they are deaf as hell now.

FALSE

I have had SEVERAL occasions where a zombie was capable of hearing me over 50m away when I was jogging across the tarmac.

Also, I lost count on both of my hands and feet, but on numerous occasions, I have crouch-walked behind a zombie in the dark through a grassy meadow, and every time I closed in within 5m, he would turn around and whap me in the face with his dick....

Ok, it was his hand, but so what!

Edited by Assassin8813