Sign in to follow this  
rassad

What is your Dream Vision for Dayz - 2 Years from now?

Since I first played DayZ, I have always Dreamed of how far the idea could go. A survival apocalypse game taken to the extreme. Idea's in this thread may come under the "impossible", but let us Dream.

A huge map, is already in the making, it is 104km2, and would take around 20 hours to walk across:

( obviously it has little detail)

A map of this size, could sustain thousands of players. With so many players, communities would start to gather together, and build a new life, while under constant raids from other players.

Hiking across the map, would take days, vehicles would be a necessity, to anyone that wanted to travel great distances.

Some day I hope there will be a Map the size of the United States...

• Like 6

Instead of doing all that work making and sustaining HUGE servers like this, why don't we just work on bringing the zombie virus to reality?

• Like 12

An huge mmorpgfps where everything is player controlled. Build towns, assign guards (like AI scripts for offline players to guard towns or other commands), skills and what not. The map should be huge so survival is the core of the game so if you build a metropolis bad things would happen.

• Like 4

Now to just wait 5 years and save up a few thousand dollars to buy a computer that could run a game like that.

• Like 6

They already did this, it's called Darkfall. It was mildly successful, but after most players found out they could be raided by people who don't have a life they mostly quit. Nothing like working for months to build a city then loose it at 3 am to a bunch of college kids without a life....lol.

Besides there was rampant cheating going on..but that's not the point. Point is what you are dreaming about is terribly hard to make happen with the cost of bandwidth these days...

Edited by Ioncannon
  • Like 1

A map of this size, could sustain thousands of players. With so many players, communities would start to gather together, and build a new life, while under constant raids from other players.

Hiking across the map, would take days, vehicles would be a necessity, to anyone that wanted to travel great distances.

Some day I hope there will be a Map the size of the United States...

I thought you said 2 years from now ,not 20 years

Chernarus is already 225KM squared.....

I think he meant 10816 km2

Well it has been repeatedly stated there will be only one year of development for standalone upon release. Also working with the ARMA II engine....

Let us just say your options are somewhat limited, and leave it at that :P

- I've already written about it but per server generated maps. Multiplying the playable space and the sense of being in unfamiliar territory while making certain places on certain servers recognisable and notorious. This includes the ability to make extensive notes on a map, some players can even act as a cartographer. Scouting areas of interest for themselves and other players.

- A well implemented physics engine for all objects in game. From destructable terrain, to proper vehicle physics, to your weapon and equipment obeying physical laws, to corpses persisting as giant walls and mounds of the dead.

- The ability for players to engage in a range of activites that are easy to learn but hard to master. I want to see everything from skilled hunters, medics, pilots and soldiers to crafting skills like weapon maintainence and ammo production or vehicle mechanics. Even carpentry and architecture (base building). I want players to make their way in the world dealing with the dangers of zeds, infection and baditry that everyone faces but being valuable to all players for the skills they provide to the server.

- Zombies that aren't just a credible threat but a source of fear as well. I want them to move in hordes and overrun whole bases. I want the sight/sound of a zombie horde to scare me, the player. I want death by zombie to be such a visceral experience that I would want to turn away from the sight of other players becoming their victims, I want the game to make me want to take my own life rather than experience what it's like for them to pull me apart. I want the brutality of the zombies to match the tension of PvP.

- A broad and complete range of movement. I want players to seek cover like soldiers (like in the SMK mod), to be able to jump though windows, to bound over small gaps between rooftops, to fire from cars, to lower themselves gently from ledges, to make hand gestures. I want to be able to perform every concievable movement to avoid gunfire, evade zombies, interact with players and cross terrain that I would be able to do IRL.

• Like 3

Procedural maps are the way forward imho. Massive environments generated from a seed number. It's been done sucessfully in other games. Procedural buildings and cities too.

I'd also like to use "things" in game as in Doom3/farcry 2. eg when i use a map i see the map held in my hands in the gameworld not in a different screen. Farcry3 makes that mistake far too much and destroys immersion.

I never want to see a door or object i cannot use. If there's a table, let me move it. if there's a car wreck, let me move it (with the right lifting gear/physics.

Destructable environments. See Men of War/Faces of War etc. Brilliantly done. EVERYTHING can be smashed given enough force.

All of these things exist in current or older games.

Can we haz them merged pwease?

Rgds

LoK

• Like 3

I think it would be amazing to have an extremely large map. Where there is one global server that has every person playing the game on this one server. I realize this is close to impossible or at least extremely difficult but it would be awesome. there would be large communities working together and it would be really realistic. the map could possibly be the size of America or all of Europe. It may be a unrealistic dream but i still can hope.

Well if he did mean that, that's enormous!

I know...thankyou, but its not always about size.

• Like 2

DayZ is great and all, but Chernarus in its current state is flawed in many ways. I don't think the other problems are worth mentioning as that's covered in just about every second topic on these forums.

Most importantly, the map is too small. You may disagree, but after almost a year (and those who have actually played Arma), the map is learned and you end up knowing exactly where you are without much trouble. A larger map would keep the feeling of being lost for a much longer time and add a bigger sense of adventure to the game as well as making vehicles less redundant. A larger map with a vastly larger amount of players would add more 'endgame' in the sense of exploration and domination. Currently, If you leave the coast, there are generally two areas which players are funneled into, and those are Stary and NWAF, which renders the rest of the map completely worthless.

Chernarus is too simple and player density isn't spread evenly; it lacks points of interest. No one is going to run for an hour to the north-east airstrip for a few military spawns when you can instead run through Elektro and obtain equal gear, even if you happen to die a couple times because of high player density. I want more points of interest such as Black Lake or Devil's Castle, that offer both scenery and reasons to visit them. This is something Taviana partially addresses, it offers significantly more locations that are interesting and rewarding, which in turn balances out the player density. If we take Devil's Castle or Black Lake as an example, they provide no reason to go there more than once to see the area.

Cities. Again, way too simple, way too small. Taviana does it right, or at least takes a step in the right direction, Sabina is a great example of what I'd expect a city to look like. Most importantly, Cherno, Elektro and Berezino are all on the coast, this doesn't help balance player densities whatsoever and worsens the situation.

The Chernarus atmosphere, environment and design fits the DayZ setting well and I'm quite pleased with that, however, the landscape does become slightly dull after some time because, in my opinion, it is too simple. I'd like to see different environments on a large map to keep the realism in place; introduce mountainous areas that are snowy, lakes of adequate size, and other scenic areas that not only provide nice scenery, but also offer rewards rather than field, treeline, field, treeline.

I want vehicles to mean something, to serve a purpose. Right now it's safe to say that a bicycle is probably the best vehicle in the game, the only reliable vehicle in the game and the only vehicle that provides an actual benefit, the rest increase your chances of dying by a huge margin and are often not worth the risk. People complain about hoarding, but fail to realize that the moment you start driving it around, you're going to lose the vehicle.

People also love to complain about PvP, again without realizing that currently, there is nothing left to do. There is no reason to work together, and no alternative endgame other than PvP. The worst part, that the map layout/loot distribution is so utterly flawed, that geared players are encouraged to focus on Cherno/Elektro/NWAF/Stary and have zero reasons to ever consider other areas when in search of PvP. This only encourages players to go camp on a hill and wait for the predictable victim to arrive in one of the few locations mentioned earlier, and personally, I don't think that should be encouraged further, because randomly spotting other players while travelling and dealing with the situation accordingly is more interesting, and this is coming from someone who snipes Elektro with a .50 cal on a frequent basis.

In short, I'd like Chernarus to be significantly bigger with vastly more scenery spread across the entire map. I don't want the game to consist of loot Elektro/Cherno, move to Stary and NWAF, done.

• Like 1

The things I want for a perfect game cannot be done with the current engine they have supplied. However, if things go well, this will open a door to DayZ 2 (something with a better name of course) which by then I would assume to be on a better engine.

Edited by Zyromkiru

I'm definitely looking forward to the progression of DayZ.

A Western map, instances, underground facilities, hats.

However two years is a long time and while I look forward to the standalone, I also kind of look forward to Rocket's next endeavor.

Edited by Dallas
  • Like 1

They already did this, it's called Darkfall. It was mildly successful, but after most players found out they could be raided by people who don't have a life they mostly quit. Nothing like working for months to build a city then loose it at 3 am to a bunch of college kids without a life....lol.

Besides there was rampant cheating going on..but that's not the point. Point is what you are dreaming about is terribly hard to make happen with the cost of bandwidth these days...

This whole thread is about NOT arguing viability.

• Like 1

A map the size of the United States would be more like a traditional MMORPG. Most likely it would be hosted by a select few high capacity servers. For example, in Eve Online everyone plays on the same server spread out between thousands of solar systems and at peak times they have roughly 35k players in game. Even then there are entire regions of space completely empty while there are thousands surrounding the many market hubs.

I love the idea tho. Imagine loading up the convoy to take a cross country trip from Boston to LA. You'll need lots of resources and you may have to do some scavenging on the way. There's a whole lotta plains to drive across.. and you better hope that 1987 Ford Tempo you just bolted together can make it over those rockies.

You do know your 104km map would be smaller than Chernarus? Chernarus is 225km and that probably takes 2 hours to walk across.

The things I want for a perfect game cannot be done with the current engine they have supplied. However, if things go well, this will open a door to DayZ 2 (something with a better name of course) which by then I would assume to be on a better engine.

DayZ 2 i really hope that cones by the time thats released though graphics an game physics will be a little better too!

Yeah i think DayZ as it is has to be one of the most addictive game mods i have ever played.. Yet there is so much that could be done to make it better but i think we will all have a great surprise when the SA comes out nobody but the devteam and testers knows what its like yet!

You do know your 104km map would be smaller than Chernarus? Chernarus is 225km and that probably takes 2 hours to walk across.

Some people don't know basic math and think 100 km squared is 100x100.

A river. No, really, that's what I want to see in Chernarus. Just a central, wide river that you can take boats up and down on. Also bridges across the river so you can get vehicles across. This would be interesting because you could create 1 or 2 very large concrete modern bridges with lootable buildings on both sides of the river and bridge, and it would become a very important strategic location to control. Then, you could add small, wooden bridges periodically along the river to make it possible to cross without going into the meatgrinder that the large bridges would be. Possibly make these smaller bridges destructable, or have the option to like, set the bridge on fire, with a pack of matches.

Really interesting to think about.

• Like 1

Small steps, gentlemen. We have been crawling for one year, now we take those first, limping steps....

Soon though, we shall learn to run. And run we shall.