joe_mcentire

Player decisions: Unlocking new Content

So i had this formidable idea. There is widely mixed opinions on "End Game", "Events", or "quests" or whatsoever.

How about implementing all of these in the game, from the very beginning (*edit: of course not necessarily all of them)?! Imagine several objects somehow embedded into the game's landscape, useless or just "ornaments" at first glance but what if i say, in some way you can interact with them?!

*Two very particular examples:

*Metallic "thing" in the swamp:

A player finds somehow hidden in a swamp under some shrubs a metallic something. He points with his cursor at it and it says "metallic something", huhh? What does that mean? He gets completely fascinated by it and the idea to somehow get this thing out of the mud, but somehow he can't move sh*t. So he thinks further, what if i was with more ppl to interact with this thing (idea: tie a rope to it and pull at it), but somehow this doesn't work either.
What if i have something with more HP?...

Long story short: It turns out, that you can get this thing out with 3! vehicles pulling with ropes. The thing is a super duper special tank* or anything you want to fit as a special reward* you know. Have fun with it!

Quintessence (of example):

• In-advance-implemented "quests", unlockable due to player interaction
  • (can)* provide huge social interaction (you need several guys)
  • (can)* provide "End Game" (you need the proper equipment and amount of it; get anything you want to fit as a special reward* or a fixable super duper specialtank*)
  • NO NPCs needed
  • can increase long term motivation
  • more awareness for environement, as everything could be a potential "quest - bringer/giver"

another example - the well of fortune (*added from subsequent post)

How about a well in the village XYZ. You approach the well and get anykind of hint, that you can possibly interact with it. In the nearby town you'll find leaflets for tourist information. Some cyrillic crazy sh*t's going on on the cover with a picture of that very well. The only thing you can clearly identify is also "104m" on that leaflet. (let us imagine, there is something like Pickup-trucks with a cable whinch attached to it in the game; or maybe it is even brought into game for such special purposes ;))
Now you are curious...after some time you really get that truck and try to go back to that well. Well that works perfectly out. Then....(some magic happens)...and you have the most unbelievable (insert here awesome or maybe even unique stuff) in front of you. WOW!

I know there could be some problems like:

• What about respawning of that loot, should it ever?
  • Will it get a major point of interest, after some time when word has spread, so it is no fun any more (respawning provided)?
  • Will it attract griefers?

These are some issues i have to admit, but i think they can be sorted out quite conveniently.

*(added from subsequent post)
Idea: Experimenting with things/objects etc. to eventually unlock other areas/equipment/content whatsoever. It would be up to the players to create a "quest" out of it. I know this all is very generally speaking, but that's why i made this thread. to share the main idea and get some feedback as well as good ideas/arguments ;)

edit: well yeah i am aware there are tanks already in the game - just for illustrating purposes
*edited to avoid, "well we have already tanks" answers...
*edited because ppl like to speak far too much about tanks...and tank issues...
*edited

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 1

why not just find a half broken tank in a military camp and repair it?

• Like 4

why not just find a half broken tank in a military camp and repair it?

why answering at all... :facepalm:

• Like 2

This could work with weapon or vehicle / equipment parts rather than whole objects like a tank being burried. That way assemble the weapon or equipment and use it on that server. The individual parts though will have to be bound to that server.

• Like 1

why answering at all... :facepalm:

why so serious?

you want a mature reply?ok lemme try!

1st-It'll promote camping,easily someone will hide in the trees or in a bush with a guillie and kill everyone that goes to the "metalic something!

2nd-super duper special tank huh?a bit overpowered,no?XD and since it's a super duper pooper special tank,how did it end up in a swamp?xD

3d-more than the 90% of the guys that will randomly team up to get the super duper special tank out of the mud will end shooting each other for it once the task is complete

4th-what if it get's destroyed?it'll spawn back there?what about server restarts? a completely new swamp has to be generated somewhere around the map like chopper crashes?what about zombies?will they spawn inside/around it?it has to have some "humans" around it,dead or alive,it couldn't go in the swamp by itself!

5th-(optional) admins will abuse their powers,see where it is and get it

6th-as i mention in 4,will another one spawn after server restarts?even if the first is not destroyed.that will end in clan hoarding,just using one guy to act as random survivor,go meet with the one whou found the swamp,and then the clan movesin with theri tank(s) and get the other one as well.imagine 5 super duper special tank driving around elektro,oooh the fresh spawns are screwed,hell,even high geared bandits/heroes will be screwed unless they didn't forget their javelin at home!

anyways im just trolling,i just cant see what's so special about finding a tank in a swamp :P

q1p0's idea is good though,finding parts,or weapons is gonna be funny!i'll put my scavenger boots on!

Edited by IcyZ

it was an example you know...really?! :o

Edited by joe_mcentire

anyways im just trolling,i just cant see what's so special about finding a tank in a swamp :P
You might just be taking the piss, but there's not a single bad point in that post.

I can't imagine this being used as anything other than a way for powerful clans to become more powerful.

Cooperation and competition are two sides of the same coin when there's something of value at stake.

yeah i would not pin it down on an overpowered godsend. This would be just a possibility. The main idea is more that, as said, you or a Team can unlock certain equipment/vehicles/memorabilia or just background info directly linked to the apocalypse or to a certain area in the game.

If you want so, you can implement things like these also doable on your own.

Please don't fixate on the example, it was merely an illustration

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 1

I get it, and the thinking behind it is totally sound.

Just in my view, anything which requires teamwork and ends with power (whether by loot, vehicles or otherwise) will invariably lead to pre-existing teams gaining greater advantages.

One thing that comes up occasionally is re-engaging the Elektro power plant and bringing light to the night.

It's about the only example I can think of where the benefit isn't merely a personal one.

• Like 3

yeah i would not pin it down on an overpowered godsend. This was a possibility. The main idea is more that, as said, you or a Team can unlock certain equipment/vehicles/memorabilia or just background info directly linked to the apocalypse or to a certain area in the game.

If you want so, you can implement things like these also doable on your own.

Please don't fixate on the example, it was merely an illustration

Your idea is pretty much already in the game.find random loot=chopper crashes.find random vehicles=random cars in warehouses

the only difference between your idea and the game as it's now,in my opinion is that you're trying to promote teamwork.but like many others,i've seen pretty much how that story ends,clan hoarding or betrayal between the newly formed team.although,if in the standalone implement a group system,like being in the same group with your clanmates,or creating one with the random survivor you met and decided to team up with,could be a solution,at least to the betrayal.if you are in the same group and he kills you it'll say "***booboo was killed by Booboo***(friendly fire)" so everyone will know that he was acting like your friend till he killed you,alerting the server to not trust him and probably shoot him on sight

pardon my fucked up grammatical errors,English language hates me

Edited by IcyZ

I get it, and the thinking behind it is totally sound.

Just in my view, anything which requires teamwork and ends with power (whether by loot, vehicles or otherwise) will invariably lead to pre-existing teams gaining greater advantages.

One thing that comes up occasionally is re-engaging the Elektro power plant and bringing light to the night.

It's about the only example I can think of where the benefit isn't merely a personal one.

Yeah but there are some issues that come with it.

1.) ppl would insist on a somewhat plausible way to repair and get the power plant back going. I think this means great effort for the devs.

2.) You should keep it running all the time, therefor everytime players would have to handle it whenever they're online. But who would do this? Hey i'm playing dayz tonight maintaining the power plant! yeah..maybe once...when you're drunk or something like that.

That are some issues i say when it comes to such huge implementations. PPL won't do monotonous things like that. They play games to get away from their monotonous life (exaggerated)

So i thought of little more convenient possibilities, that don't need that long of a focus.

edit: XD it was not really my intention to focus on Team based experiences, as for myself, I always tried to be a loner ... so my suggestion backfired massively... ;)

Edited by joe_mcentire

I have to disagree with you there. The number of times it's brought up leads me to believe there are people who see the situation differently than you.

Players will no doubt attack the plant, because that's just how things work (why do dogs chase cars?). So there's very little risk of it being constant monotony, since "lights on = power plant is manned" will be the bat-signal for bandits.

It'd also make a decent default area to set up a community, cosidering the functionality and defensibility of the complex.

As far as I can be aware, the power plant needs coal to function. There's nothing else wrong with it.

Granted, civillians IRL wouldn't be operating such a facility, but when's the last time you repaired and flew a helicopter IRL?

generators could be used by bandits,kill the guy that is "using" it or fix it so noobs will be attracted to the city.but generators should attract hordes,lots of zombies in the city etc.but i dont think that someone HAS to be at it all the time,it should have a lifetime,like put coal or gas in it every 30 minutes to keep it running.anyways,we are way off topic now :P

that's the crux with dayz, you simply cannot implement anything anyhow. Everyone expects a proper basis of realism and authenticity. So firing a Power plant by simply giving 1 coal piece every 30 min., well ppl could embrace that for the sake of having a power plant which provides electricity but maybe they won't because it's too casual. I think it's all about plausibility.

Edited by joe_mcentire

hey you started that power plant thing ;)

Edited by joe_mcentire

and when talking about unlocking content...think about electrically sealed doors. The power of "that" power plant would unseal that door eventually. So it fits perfectly to the OP. B) Your move!

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 1

I was referencing the concept of pulling a fully functional tank out of a swamp.

I have training in electrical engineering, so I can tell you that there's no way in hell you could re-power the whole grid, It would be full of short circuits, and it would trip the system.

You'd be able to power a few undamaged circuits (street lights would be reasonably easy to trace), but you'd still have to disconnect them from the rest of the grid.

If a door was electrically sealed, wouldn't it open when the power was cut? :huh:

EDIT:

I'm sure someone mentioned it before, but: If an underground bunker was sealed, there could be many tasks required to access and loot it.

Find the bunker,

Search for clues regarding operations (optional),

Find the password/number + keycard for the door, (any notes would probably be in russian)

Translate and understand any notes and information,

Power the door + keypad,

Enter the bunker.

It's a longer-term game plan. I'm not sure how feasible such a task is, but there's no doubt in my mind, it would be cool as fuck.

Edited by Chabowski
  • Like 3

well yeah...i mean the reverse thing... like the brakes in elevators. They are active when powerless. But :D your point, a little unclear worded by me.

Edited by joe_mcentire

Just thought I'd add.

The likes of "unlockable adventures" (read: new pieces of scenery/places to explore, NOT quests) could potentially be sneaked into future updates without mention, to great effect.

Unfortunately, with the wiki-wonderland that is the internet, the impact of the whole operation would be entirely undermined.

Edited by Chabowski

This could work with weapon or vehicle / equipment parts rather than whole objects like a tank being burried. That way assemble the weapon or equipment and use it on that server. The individual parts though will have to be bound to that server.

building your weapon reminds me how you can find/buy a scheme of a weapon and somehow build it in Fallout3.. if this is to be implemented, should not be so easy and it should require a couple of player to build only one gun

you know that's the reason why i call it "quest".

edit: following text is now in initial post:

Experimenting with things/objects etc. to eventually unlock other areas/equipment/content whatsoever. It would be up to the players to create a "quest" out of it. I know this all is very generally speaking, but that's why i made this thread. to share the main idea and get some feedback as well as good ideas/arguments ;)

Edited by joe_mcentire

but i like adding ways that make people working together and sharing some common goal