SmashT

No Pepsi, Coca-Cola or Heinz in standalone

I got a reply from Heinz at least, even if it wasn't successful.

Your email requesting permission to use the Heinz products in the upcoming game DayZ was forwarded to me for handling. Thank you for contacting us and considering our brand for this game. We have thoroughly reviewed your request. Unfortunately, we cannot grant you permission to use our products in this game as we do not believe it is in line with our brand equity. We hope you understand and wish you the best with the new game.

Sincerely,

Sabrina J. Hudson

Associate Director - Corporate Counsel

H.J. Heinz Company

(412) 456-6004

sabrina.hudson@us.hjheinz.com

Mailing Address: P.O. Box 57, Pittsburgh, PA 15230

Shipping Address: 1 PPG Place, Suite 3100, Pittsburgh, PA 15222

Edited by smasht_AU
  • Like 4

Pendragon Sardines

Your email requesting permission to use the Heinz products in the upcoming game DayZ was forwarded to me for handling. Thank you for contacting us and considering our brand for this game. We have thoroughly reviewed your request. Unfortunately, we cannot grant you permission to use our products in this game as we do not believe it is in line with our brand equity. We hope you understand and wish you the best with the new game.

Sincerely,

Sabrina J. Hudson

Associate Director - Corporate Counsel

H.J. Heinz Company

(412) 456-6004

sabrina.hudson@us.hjheinz.com

Mailing Address: P.O. Box 57, Pittsburgh, PA 15230

Shipping Address: 1 PPG Place, Suite 3100, Pittsburgh, PA 15222

I got a reply from Heinz at least, even if it wasn't successful.

Nice job, it's a pity they have no clue how to market themselves.

I got a 3rd reply, this time from Coca Cola. My previous replies from Pepsi and Heinz can be found in this thread.

Thank you for contacting The Coca-Cola Company, Mr. XXX. We appreciate your thinking of The Coca-Cola Company as a possible business partner.

If you would please forward a letter to the following address, we will make sure your proposal is reviewed appropriately:

The Coca-Cola Company

Industry and Consumer Affairs Department

P.O. Box 1734

Atlanta, GA 30301

If there is any intellectual property associated with your proposal, you may visit www.Cokesubmit.com

We look forward to receiving your letter and will send you a written response. Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Alex

Industry and Consumer Affairs

The Coca-Cola Company

Funny how we in the forums get replies, but Matt says they wouldn't answer emails or calls to them? :huh:

• Like 1

Nice job, it's a pity they have no clue how to market themselves.

I got a 3rd reply, this time from Coca Cola. My previous replies from Pepsi and Heinz can be found in this thread.

Funny how we in the forums get replies, but Matt says they wouldn't answer emails or calls to them? :huh:

This might of already been stated earlier in the thread but if we got enough of the DayZ community to contact these companies then they might actually start looking a bit more into it. There are roughly 1 and a half million people that have played DayZ. If we could get even a quarter of that to contact these companies we might have a chance. We just have to find a way to inform other players about it.

Edited by Skat3rat

If this is a real issue I hope we still are going to have real life gun names in the standalone.

Personally I feel that individual posts from numerous users on Fb won't help. We need someone (perhaps a Mod) to act as a representative of the DayZ community and leave a post on each of the companies wall and then everyone can go and like it.

Personally I feel that individual posts from numerous users on Fb won't help. We need someone (perhaps a Mod) to act as a representative of the DayZ community and leave a post on each of the companies wall and then everyone can go and like it.

Neither would be enough, facebook isn't a resource, it;s an asset, so posting loads on there wont blink any eyelids. However e-mailing their customer relations or equivalent in bulk MAY be more noticeable to them. Depending on how many people tried etc.. Got to think, is it really so bad to have a 'cola' can instead? we will all know it's the same thing, it'll just not have the exact branding.

I have just gotten a reply from Heinz

"we do look at many of hese opportunities at Heinz beanz HQ, But due to commercial and Intellectual property reasons we often have to turn them down.

thanks for getting in touch"

Aww well, feck em.

Lol, agreed. I think he meant a proper answer or at least an open dialogue, not a copy and paste answer that probably get's sent out 1000 times a day.

• Like 1

Couldn't you just typo Heinz? Like Heins or Heimz.

No you can't, because you would be trading off a misspelling of a trademarked name. If no money was involved in the tansaction of your product (the game), and your customer (the gamer), then you are not trading off the registered brand name. However, in SA, the company taking the money for the game, is making money, and using a trademarked logo/item etc. in doing so.

A deliberate misspelling is no defence when it comes to trademarks or registered company names. Also, if a registered company or company owning a trademark does NOT defend its registered assets, then they become generic, and usable by all, so you will just get sued right up the ass unless you agree a deal with the owner of the trademark or company name.

Best bet, is to release with no company names, brands or logos, but after launch, depending on sales, approach companies and see if they want to pay for billboards in towns or by roadsides that display their brand. That way, you don't need to pay them for the use of the brand, they can pay you for advertising.

/edit for random spelling, and beans.

Edited by Skinman