Sign in to follow this  
broonskee

New Water ideas

Nothing major but i thought it would be cool if you could store sea water in your canister and using a pot or maybe if the canister is metal(maybe getting too technical Haha)...boil the water to make it drinkable

What do ye think?

Rocket already gave some tips about the water "purification" in Standalone, the most reliable way I think is boiling water and I'm pretty sure that it's going to be inside the game.

Or purification tablets, they are actually common at sporting stores in the camping section

ye could give you two ways to use the water..easy or hard way,in any case, the idea that salt water is completely inaccessible is wrong as there are ways around it realistically, thats just were the idea came from

Yup, The military uses them too. If I remember my training from years back, I think you have to check like 300 yards up river for dead/rotting animals and travel back to your original location, scoop water and drop a tablet in. This should be in the Standalone as drinking from those ponds should surely make you ill

Rocket already gave some tips about the water "purification" in Standalone, the most reliable way I think is boiling water and I'm pretty sure that it's going to be inside the game.

ye? happy days...by far the most realistic game iv played even without that feature

If ya mean in small quantities, it is possible 2 do it. Boiling kills all the germs(non-dissolved substances) in ocean water. For removing dissolved substances, ya need 2 use the method of Distillation. This is the method of evaporating the water inside a clean container and condensing it. When ya evaporate it, the salts are left behind and ya can remove them and condense the water into pure water. This water will not have any minerals but it also not unhealthy. This can be done for small quantities of water, like maximum up to 1 gallon maybe. but for large quantities, it is not possible. It is being done in the middle east in Arab countries where water is not available in land. It is done by a process called Desalination. For this process, water is collected in huge tanks. Each tank is connected to another tank through a semi-permeable membrane. High pressure is applied through the semi permeable membrane and this allows only water and not the dissolved salts to pass through. This water will be safe for drinking.

Edited by Steak and Potatoes

The process is more complicated than that. The only way it works is to remove all of the water from the salt, which is done by evaporating all the water and transferring the gas into another container to condensate. You have to evaporate every ounce of the water you have, which in real life, over a fire, would take hours. Capture the evaporated water in another container, which would require tubing of course. So you'll need A LOT of time to do it, and tubing and multiple containers, that said, I'm not against this. That would also leave you with salt (which could be used to make jerky?), and you'd probably ruin the bottle you boiled since you cant use like, a metal pot to do it, you'd need a water bottle because it has to be air tight when you put the hose over it. The bottle would melt if it were plastic and fracture if it were glass.

Make it this hard (don't have it take HOURS) and I'm am for it.

• Like 1

The process is more complicated than that. The only way it works is to remove all of the water from the salt, which is done by evaporating all the water and transferring the gas into another container to condensate. You have to evaporate every ounce of the water you have, which in real life, over a fire, would take hours. Capture the evaporated water in another container, which would require tubing of course. So you'll need A LOT of time to do it, and tubing and multiple containers, that said, I'm not against this. That would also leave you with salt (which could be used to make jerky?), and you'd probably ruin the bottle you boiled since you cant use like, a metal pot to do it, you'd need a water bottle because it has to be air tight when you put the hose over it. The bottle would melt if it were plastic and fracture if it were glass.

Make it this hard (don't have it take HOURS) and I'm am for it.

Yep. Water stills were very important back in the day but not for producing clean water but to make quantities of salt where salt mines were not available. Salt was super important for preserving meat.

The bottom line, though, is that no one would really bother when there are cans of clean, pure soda everywhere. If DayZ was set way after society had broken down and supplies of canned food and drink was used up, winters were tough and there was no way of farming/hunting during tough winters then these kinds of mechanics would be useful but not really in the time that DayZ is set. You're being shot at and clawed by zombies, now is not the time to build a water still, theres a shop with soda to loot down the road.

Yep. Water stills were very important back in the day but not for producing clean water but to make quantities of salt where salt mines were not available. Salt was super important for preserving meat.

The bottom line, though, is that no one would really bother when there are cans of clean, pure soda everywhere. If DayZ was set way after society had broken down and supplies of canned food and drink was used up, winters were tough and there was no way of farming/hunting during tough winters then these kinds of mechanics would be useful but not really in the time that DayZ is set. You're being shot at and clawed by zombies, now is not the time to build a water still, theres a shop with soda to loot down the road.

I think salt would be the selling point. Rocket said he wants food to rot. Salt could preserve your meat so that it wont rot, AND you get clean water out of it.

I'm all about my water sports, but that's probably better left for a different forum...

I like the ideas around simple decontamination of foodstuffs and drinkables, as to stills, if you had the resources would you not just use it to make moonshine? Or is that my inner alcoholic talking?

I like the idea of dead animals contaminating water sources very much indeed.

L

I think salt would be the selling point. Rocket said he wants food to rot. Salt could preserve your meat so that it wont rot, AND you get clean water out of it.

But for the time being there would be bags of the stuff in supermarkets. It's just not the time in the immediate aftermarth of a zombie apocalypse to wait for sea water to distill.

Stick a bag around a branch or even a rubber jonnie, overnight water, Not a lot of people know that! Nice and easy for those overnight survival emergencies.

Edited by Michaelvoodoo25

Just do it like they did before they knew how to make clean water....drink alcohol...tons of it.