Play (DayZ)

1.7.5 - Cows will now run for their lives

The other thing, IRL, you can't recover from a major bullet wound by eating a bunch of steaks. That's why they take you to a hospital when you get shot and not a Ruths Chris.

I'm not forgetting that. Did you read my second paragraph? :)

Yes I did.Its crazy to be able to only eat when hungry and only receive on average 400 per steak.if your down to 1K blood then it will take you 30 meals to achieve full health again. :( 15 meals is harsh enough. :rolleyes: :D

This significantly shifts balance even more towards groups. It's already much harder to survive as a lone wolf than run with a pack and this change makes that even harder. If this was intended to push people to work together it'll backfire and make people even more weary of strangers. This change will drive a lot of solo players away.

Sure, spamming food to bring your health back up is silly but so is finding bloodbags that are still good after the power went out.

• Like 3

They could just try to overhual the blood+food system entirely instead of implementing such terrible "fixes" - up until now your survival was a small amount of luck but a large amount of skill, I don't like seeing changes that put a players fate in the hands of an RNG.

• Have naturually regenerating health - 10 point per minute. Have this adjusted by a number of factors, postitive and negative, such as whether you are active or resting.
  • Implement medical kits, that have the proper tools to actually treat wounds. Bandages can stop bleeding but will leave the player "untreated", and an untreated character does not regenerate health. Medical kits can be used on oneself, but provide an additional blood regeneration bonus when another player applies it.
  • Medical kist have limited usage and take up 6 inventory slots.
  • Blood Bags now give a base 1500 blood and speed up the regeneration process to 100 points per minute for 15 minutes, you need 4 blood bags over an hour to fully recuperate - this is a little more authentic IMHO, given length of play session.
  • You can apply a blood bag to onself, but only recieve half the benefit (750 blood, 50+ blood regen for 15 minutes)
  • Food should have a degree of "quality", which effects blood regeneration. Good quality food speeds the process up (up to 100 points a minute, 6000 blood in one hour), most food would fall into normal quality which will get you small bonuses, and then terrible food quality which only satisfies hunger.
  • Properly cooked food gives 4 times the number of servings compared to just eating it unprepared.
  • Introduce cookware of various quality and capability (Basic, Iron, Military) which allows you too cook any food over a fire. Properly cooked food has a better quality to it, and food can be combined properly to get larger effects. IMHO, cookware should take up legitimate inventory space, with varied space taken up by the type of cookware.

I think it'd make the game a little more authentic, while not really taking away anyone playstyle - lone wolf must be played more conservatively, and you might have to choose between a second gun or important medical or food supplies, and also draws the lone wolf towards player confrontation. Groups get the advantage of assigning roles and larger bonuses from having someone else tending to thier medical care, but they don't have an overwhelming immedaite advantage in combat that current blood bags provide.

Obviously harder to implement then some RNG to whether a steak gives 1-800 blood.

Edited by FaustianQ
  • Like 3

Their were so many things that the latest patch was bringing to the camp fire, but unlike a lot of you, this might be a game breaker for me. I am truly lone wolf, and this will make my constant need to survive worse. I am seeing a lot of people "opting out" as Daryl would say, instead of trying to restore 100% of your blood. I am not going to spend an entire game session working on getting my blood back to peak. What strikes me as a bit strange, is that the current Dev team would not query the forums and player base on this change? Bad move, and don't file this under the "you cant please all the people, all the time". Bad move indeed........ >:(

Easy fix, solo player should be allowed to give themselves a transfusion. Have to sit down for 5 minutes, or 10. Its a health pack mentality, but it is in the game even with out the realism needing coolant to maintain.

• Like 1

So if you're out of luck eating 3 steaks won't even stop your hungermeter flashing?

I'm not sure I like this change, looks like it's to discourage a certain playstyle.

Hunger has nothing to do with blood. Eating the steak will always fill your hunger bar, whether it gives you 800. or 1 blood back

Their were so many things that the latest patch was bringing to the camp fire, but unlike a lot of you, this might be a game breaker for me. I am truly lone wolf, and this will make my constant need to survive worse. I am seeing a lot of people "opting out" as Daryl would say, instead of trying to restore 100% of your blood. I am not going to spend an entire game session working on getting my blood back to peak. What strikes me as a bit strange, is that the current Dev team would not query the forums and player base on this change? Bad move, and don't file this under the "you cant please all the people, all the time". Bad move indeed........ >:(

Easy fix, solo player should be allowed to give themselves a transfusion. Have to sit down for 5 minutes, or 10. Its a health pack mentality, but it is in the game even with out the realism needing coolant to maintain.

I like the ideas of slow regeneration from food or blood bags as long as you remain still. This instant stuff is part of what drives the deathmatching anyway. I do not like regeneration on it's own but having to find a safe place to rest and bag/eat would actually add more gameplay and strategy than hoping you get 800 blood from a piece of meat that you barely had time to carve and cook before passing out face first into a fire. Having to wait a determined time to eat again just to get healthy enough to actually play the game is pretty bad.

This is a penalizing a play style. Lonewolves are screwed.

Edited by SausageKingofChicago

Carl aka R4ZOR49 actually said "Blood bags must be found, meat just spawns no mater what." here;

https://github.com/R4Z0R49/DayZMod/issues/230

Really I have a tent full of nothing but bloodbags! Easiest resource in the game to collect, besides tin cans and empty whiskey bottles! If this is how you see it...

We're boned!

This is why I dread players calling the shots. Even worse are devs who caters to them. But I've stated my opinion on that here enough times already.

What I want to point out here is, Nothing short of removing the ability to harm other players will cut down on the KoS mentality. Given the chance to be a dick, someone will be a dick. Some of the victims of that person will become dicks themselves. And it'll spiral until we end up back where we are.

If you want to correct the health system Carl, fix it! But make it equally easier/harder for both lone and groups. Blood bagging cannot be left as is if you implement these changes.

Also the argument for Lone vs. Group. Not everything is easier for a group, then a loner. But we see no changes to correct that glaring fallacy. I wonder why?

• Like 2

I really like the direction this is heading. People asked for more incentives to not kill each other on sight, giving people the power to heal each other is a pretty good incentive. As well as making the risks for engaging in firefights even higher.

Regarding the 1-800 random blood gain thing, go to http://random.org and put in 1 to 800 and generate a bunch of times. The results aren't game breaking in my opinion.

We are in alpha and these kind of things need to be tested, so I think just go for it and let's see how "game breaking" these are. I don't think these are game breaking but give nice little challenge to survive against the environment like this game should be.

I also think its unfortunate to really deter people from playing alone. Yes there should be advantages to play in a team, but not advantages that are above those you would have in real life.

Giving a blood transfusion is something only possibly from person to person. A blood bag is not. There should be the option to give someone a blood transfusion, as in I lose 6000 blood, the other player gains 6000 blood.

And blood bags should be available, but only provide a more limited amount of blood. If in real life you lose a few litres of blood, a small bag of blood isn't enough. You should be forced to lie still for a minute or so and then regenerate maybe 2400 blood over the next 5 minutes or so. In less then half an hour you would have full hp again.

It should still be big enough to not encourage people to kill themselves and run to their bodies.

Thats why its important we can give blood bags to ourselves, even though there should be an optional transfusion thing, but a realistic one where blood isn't magically doubled.

As it is now, you gain an average of 400 blood per meat. You can take 1 meat an hour. Means you need 30(!!) hours to fully regenerate your blood levels.

This is ridiculous. People will just go to the cost in some wood, kill themselves with a grenade, spawn again and save themselves 29.5 hours.

Is it realistic to only be able to eat once an hour? Yes. Is it fun to wait ingame for 30 hours and leave your computer running? Nah. If this whole system is to work like that, we need to introduce

- bloodbags self-administered and weakened to a realistic level

- maybe addd a transfusion that is really a transfusion, from person to person

- somehow prohibit people from getting their gear back if they killed themselves

With this, you would have still a benefit of teamplay (transfusion, but both lose blood), there would be no huge insta-healing bloodbag and food in general would become generally useless for healing. Like it should be, in real life it doesn't heal you that much. This I could agree with.

It would become all about blood bags, which is fine. But by doing that, you encourage people to kill themselves and get their body they hid themsevles, to have full blood again in 30 minutes. There needs to be some solution to this before its implemented.

As it is at the moment, its just a huge huge advantage for squads and a huge disadvantage for single players. I agree with making survival and blood gaining harder, but not with increasing the benefit of clans even more and making people have no choice but to kill themselves to regain blood.

Edited by DieBrotmafia

Seriously this sounds awful. Im all for revamping the food/blood system but punishing solo players more doesnt seem to be the answer.

As it is if I want to heal as a lone wolf I'll need to shoot an animal(need a weapon and possibly give away position), a knife(again left exposed for a time gutting), and a hatchet and matches(pile of wood alone takes up 2 slots), then make a fire with smoke, noise, and light to further give me away while i cook. Not to mention i need all the room to luge this mobile butcher factory around. Making it far harder to carry two weapons around.

Then you have the group players. What do they need? zero tools, just a buddy with blood bags that are easier to find than a can a food at times. As fast as a bandage goes on they can slap a blood bag in each other. Abra Kadabra you got full health again!

So it would seem the loner is already punished while the groups have it made. Yet making it even harder for a solo player is a thought? If this is a way to force teamplay I can kinda understand but I also know this will do anything but improve that aspect of the game.

Now I will fear approaching the fresh spawn with a makarov as if he/she turns out to be hostile I might be feeling the effects of a couple makarov rounds for days! Hence giving me more reason to blow their brains out before they even know I'm there. Making player interaction even more of a death wish...

To make it fair: Make bloodbags take 5 minutes or more to administer while recieving player can't do anything and make health slowly come back from this. Oh and make its healing values random also. Oh and it should be of the same blood type as your character and has to be proper temp. and comes with chances for infections or other complications. Yep I'd call that fair then.

If cooked meat gives u between 1-800 blood then that's just fucking dumb.

Who ever thought of that needs to be shot.

Knife/hatchet/matches/wood and a animal

Why go through all that for less then 800 blood.

I

I personally feel that all the additions and updates to features are coming purely from the coders of the community. I've not seen a single thread on the forum detailing potential updates, and nothing on forum suggestion/feedback for the builds.

I personally feel that all the additions and updates to features are coming purely from the coders of the community. I've not seen a single thread on the forum detailing potential updates, and nothing on forum suggestion/feedback for the builds.

You mean like this?

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/103845-rolling-changelog-for-community-builds/

And the github...

Awful change is awful.

Edit; I just spent the last couple of hours running around with a flashing health gauge, looking for tins untill I found some matches, passing out at various stages whilst avoiding players and zeds, found matches got to woods cooked up some meat and finnaly got enough health back to regain sight etc etc.

Now you think I'm gonna go through all that with a chance of getting 1-800? not a fooking chance, yay for a million more suicides...say it again awful change is awful. Now I know these are player designed patches and not the devs but come on.

Edited by Bandito

Locked threads don't offer much in terms of feedback, derp.

I never knew about this github business either. Still think it should be addressed openly on the forum.

Locked threads don't offer much in terms of feedback, derp.

I never knew about this github business either. Still think it should be addressed openly on the forum.

You said you saw nothing detailing potential updates. I linked you to the thread.

If you want feedback, off you go to github. Or, godforbid, start a thread.

You said you saw nothing detailing potential updates. I linked you to the thread.

If you want feedback, off you go to github. Or, godforbid, start a thread.

Damn Dankine, you know I like your general approach to humanity, but you make such a better impact when your a little less blunt..... ah never mind, keep being blunt :D

Yeah I'm of the crowd that 1 to 800 is a little ridiculous. I think it should be a minimum of 200 at least, so it is still a reasonable way to get blood for people who aren't teamed up. And only one piece of meat in an hour? I understand the meat spam to heal, I use it all the time, but it seems like too long of a wait. Especially with what the minimum could be if they don't set it higher, there's no telling how long it would take to recover from it. You eat a piece of meat, get the lowball of 10 or 20, well damn, gotta wait an hour to see if I can hit the blood lottery!

Even at a minimum of 200 to 800 every half hour, that would still require people at very low health to want to find some help with a blood bag unless they want to stare into blinding de-saturation for hours and to be left at a real disadvantage lol Meat needs fixing to take out the ease, but this seems abit too far. I know its an always sliding scale right now, so just putting my two cents out there.

*EDIT*

And reading the other thread, it looks like they took out the hour limiter and just made it so you can only eat ever 5 minutes, which seems pretty fine to me for the most part.

Edited by Maxgor

Yeah I'm of the crowd that 1 to 800 is a little ridiculous. I think it should be a minimum of 200 at least, so it is still a reasonable way to get blood for people who aren't teamed up.

I feel like people are getting too caught up in the number 1. There's only a 25% chance of hitting below 200. And 12.5% chance of hitting below 100.

Getting under a hundred from a piece of meat would be rare.