rocket

Devblog update: Where is the Standalone?

Everyone getting together, walking backwards, off the edge of the map, while pooping on your own clothes - will break the game.

oh thats nice,

that map in dayz sa will be 10 times smaller

there will be now cars in the game

and i´ll have to wait hours to resurrect my charakter after been killed

that is all absolut ok for me as long i´ll get a unique katana :D

Fraggle is best

free katana for release

you heard it here first folks!

You misread my comment.

Anyhoo, one of the things I'm really looking forward to is the addition of all of the extra indoor spaces. It's going to make the urban areas very different and require a very different approach tactically.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 1

Fraggle is best

free katana for release

you heard it here first folks!

Fraggle is the best

Free katana for release

heard it here first folks!

Now it's a haiku, and great! Lovely job, both of us.

• Like 2

You misread my comment.

Well i cannot wait to play, but not literally

if i was, then that katana would be great ;)

Anyhoo, one of the things I'm really looking forward to is the addition of all of the extra indoor spaces. It's going to make the urban areas very different and require a very different approach tactically.

Agreed, i am most looking forward to approaching small towns or lonely country houses

Who knows what to find, or who

Also Little to no hackers will make gearing up all the more rewarding, and people all the more "unpredictable"

• Like 1

Agreed, i am most looking forward to approaching small towns or lonely country houses

Who knows what to find, or who

Also Little to no hackers will make gearing up all the more rewarding, and people all the more "unpredictable"

Not only will more enterables change how people go about searching through a town or moving through a city, I think they could totally play into the player settlement thing now. I mean, there are lone houses as you mention all over... fortifying a house would be an incredibly reasonable thing to do depending on what types of fortifications can be done. Also, it would make towns -worth- cordoning off, with more buildings that yield loot rather than just a handful.

• Like 1

If not we'll give you a katana.

Am I the only one who knows what you just referred to?

WarZ

Edited by Distinction

I remember reading somewhere (probably that official suggestion topic) about having a sound for when you access your inventory (or someone else's) so that you know when your backpack is being opened and avoid being robbed. It's so easy finding sounds, and the coding would probably be just a trigger before the inventory screen pops up.

http://www.freesound.../sounds/137394/

Edited by Reverie

I remember reading somewhere (probably that official suggestion topic) about having a sound for when you access your inventory (or someone else's) so that you know when your backpack is being opened and avoid being robbed. It's so easy finding sounds, and the coding would probably be just a trigger before the inventory screen pops up.

http://www.freesound.../sounds/137394/

Does your backpack plays a sound in real life when opened? I don't think so. Ever heard about pickpocket?

Does your backpack plays a sound in real life when opened? I don't think so. Ever heard about pickpocket?

Thing is... yes it does make a sound. Exactly like the link I posted... unless I spend a couple minutes slowwwly opening it. Then, to be realistic to open it without making sound (pickpocketing it) should have a "progress bar", not instantly.

Edit: In case you have not checked the link, it's a zipper sound. My backpacks all have zippers therefore make that same sound (maybe not as loud though).

Edited by Reverie

The point with robbing backpacks... is that there is NO indicator at all as to whether someone's doing it... They just stare at you and magically zorp your shit out of you...

There's no "rustling animation", there's no sound, there's no nothing.

Even if it were a pickpocket type thing, which it really isn't as it stands... there would still need to be -some- type of indicator. Doesn't have to be a sound, but it doesn't make sense for someone to just be staring at someone's back and magically obtain loot with no indicator at all.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 6

So many useless off-topic comments guys... slow down the phase. I am getting tired...

Anyway,

So cars and vehicles being phase 2, are they going to be in the Release?

Just wondering.

I don't see a problem with that... If they are indeed phase 2 (going to be added after the release) then it should happen pretty quick. I mean, It's Take On Helicopters engine, it's mostly done already :P...

So many useless off-topic comments guys... slow down the phase. I am getting tired...

Anyway,

I don't see a problem with that... If they are indeed phase 2 (going to be added after the release) then it should happen pretty quick. I mean, It's Take On Helicopters engine, it's mostly done already :P...

If they're going keen on helicopters in the standalone i wanna see you having to turn the car's ignition and shift the gears using Q/E LOL. =)

Environments and characters look awsum =) One part of me says 'Come on, release it as quick as possible', but the second - the biggest - is sincerely ready to wait for a full quality product for at least a couple of months.

Good luck, team.

Will their eventually be an end game to the Dayz standalone that will counter the just PvP aspect of the game? It would be interesting if the developers could address this point, it will just be a team death-match on a large scale if it continues the way it is. I will play Dayz till I get bored of it regardless but to shed light on such a scenario may help innovate the game and expand the marketability.

Will their eventually be an end game to the Dayz standalone that will counter the just PvP aspect of the game? It would be interesting if the developers could address this point, it will just be a team death-match on a large scale if it continues the way it is. I will play Dayz till I get bored of it regardless but to shed light on such a scenario may help innovate the game and expand the marketability.

I'd say that i'm looking for teaming up, making camps, or take advantage of castles and villages. Go into gang wars, have your gang wear some sort of unique identification clothing. Basic team on team PvP is kinda lame in the spirit of survival game. The poin is to make yourself capable of surviving, not capable to kill anything that moves.

• Like 1

Will their eventually be an end game...

Having been an MMORPG gamer for many years (stopped playing since becoming disillusioned with the genre), if there's one phrase I hate, then it's "end game." It frustrates me and has generally appeared from games such as World of Warcraft, where little kids need an end goal to aim for, or a place that they can show off their amazing armor. Not all games need a flippin' end game. This mentality really needs to change.

Linear games have end games, as you play from start to finish. Sandbox type games, that try to depict realism, shouldn't really have an end game, as it's left to your own imagination as to what you do, even if developers get cries of "well, what's the point in playing?!" Stop catering to the people who need to be hand fed everything, with a lovely carrot sticking out in front.

• Like 3

The endgame will be customisable vehicles and instanced underground bases. But it will be added later on, as it requires to write a fair amount of code from scratch. Crafting has not been really talked about yet but I think we'll see something because it's like one of the feature people most want.

I would also like to see some kind of fortification system, but given the sandbox nature of the game it's gonna be tricky to implement : too many objects might cause horrible server lag.

Maybe allowing to barricade doors and windows would be a good beginning, as there is a finite number of doors and windows ingame?

EDIT : just thought about it, make the planks and other fortification items take a lot of inventory space and weight, and a lot of work to actually get the items (having to cut wood with hatchet, then use the saw on the wood to get the planks, then a hammer and nails and some time to actually barricade your house). All of that might reduce the amount of griefers.

Edited by Bat
  • Like 1

Day Z plus has a pretty robust construction system that doesn't really add to overall server lag from what I can tell. It'd be more about loot rates than anything to prevent an overload of objects, rather than tweaking the system (which much be done regardless).

Fortification would be good, and I think simple... either a fixed point on a building where boards can be attached to windows/doors... or a one-size-fits-all 4x4 set of boards that can be "floated" in front of doors and such.

EDIT - To the above, perhaps "wood" should be obtained through a multitude of means. I mean, we can find "scrap metal" in the world... why not a "pile of boards"? Models are already there, and there should be an -abundance- of materials strewn around Chernarus. Theoretically one could use "Fueltank Parts" as scrap metal. Not only that, but there are piles of scrap metal and wood all over Chernarus, that simply cannot be harvested because they weren't meant to function in that regard. I think if we could actually scavenge materials from the world in addition to traditional loot, it'd make it a much more immersive experience.

Edited by Katana67