griffinz

DayZ Standalone Discussion

I closed the original because the discussion became stale, and when threads get a large number of replies, the whole forum starts to slow.

Vent your thoughts here.

• Like 2

It was a good decision. Because what's the point?

There are people who think they need to know when the standalone is going to be released, there are people who think Dean is giving out too less information, there are people who think it's better to not release uncertain information and there are people who don't care about that at the moment.

But you know what unites all these people? They are all here because they are looking forward to a good game.

So, where's the point in arguing about wether it is justified to feel entitled to getting information or if it's an unforgivable mistake to not being able to fulfill a "promise"? What can you get from someone who thinks different? Is there any profit for you personally? I don't think so.

The only thing it would bring forth is conflict within the community itself. There is nothing anyone around here or with whom you're arguing can do about the supposed "problem".

So why not pursue the same goal we all have, the goal that is independent from all these opinions listed above and that is for DayZ to be a fucking great game.

While I think it's definitely necessary to keep being demanding and keep asking questions to the dev team and also question what they are doing, it is less than necessary to lose oneself in such a marginal question and even harm the community in the process.

You know, you could be arguing with these people in the same way with the only difference that it won't affect your personal relationship. The "whiny entitled child" or "pathetic ass-kisser" could have the same take on the humanity system or have an interesting suggestion and you might even come to a beneficial solution together . You can get more beanz but still work towards a goal that is profitable for everyone.

Fuck the namecalling, fuck the one-lined-memes-answers, there is a game to be made!

Edited by PurePassion
  • Like 18

To get people up to speed, here is a summary of Rockets posts over the last week, most recent at the top.

Standalone is going just fine, I need to be a bit more careful about what I say so it's less of a crisis situation. If only half the people buy the game because I've been super quiet then so be it, we want to make this the best it can be. That is all we care about now. Everything else is secondary, release date, profit - the lot. Marek (CEO) and me both want the same thing, DayZ to live up to its potential.

DayZ standalone is fine, and I'm looking forward to updating progress.

I know I have been very quiet lately. So this will be really all I'll say for the moment.

I've been pretty depressed about the whole situation. From a personal standpoint, this whole "saga" of the development made me seriously question if I wanted to be involved in the industry and I gave serious thought to cutting my losses and not being involved in the project.

At my Army Discharge medical this week, they noted I now have high blood pressure. Some things in life just aren't worth worrying about. I've been getting hammered by a massive amount with requests for information about DayZ release, interviews and my reactions to this and stuff and such - but for my own sanity I retreated and have kept to myself. Right now I'm just at home doing bits and pieces on the DayZ development. The rest of the DayZ team is doing the same.

I realize that I went back on my word about releasing an update, but went back into my shell for a bit last week, and I'll come out when the dust is all settled.

I could say "it has been delayed" but what has been delayed? there are many forms and ways to release something. The fact is, there are many things we COULD do, and we're checking to see that what we can do is the best for where we want to be in a few months time.

So saying it will be delayed would be incorrect, as it may not be delayed. But exactly how, what, and in what way of release - all these things need to be considered against how they factor into future releases. It is not only me, or even the dev team, who make those decisions so there are many stakeholders. I could announce all these things but it is unfair until all those stakeholders involved have a chance to input as they are affected (or some, such as Steam, required to do some work as part of it).

It's taken a bit longer to get the news out than I expected, simply because I spent 30 hours in a plane, arrived home for the first time in a year, and realized how dog-tired and sick I was from having worked like crazy for a year. I slept for about 20 hours in a row.

I'm drafting together the roadmap, and the news will be good and naturally not perfect. We're happy with how things are going, and the more time that goes on the more we can confirm. For me, the most important thing is not to confirm anything in the devblog that we don't have a high confidence in. Sometimes that means I have to leave stuff out, or wait to say stuff, because we just don't know how it will turn out. We're very, very early in the development process - at a time when experimentation of core elements is still very much in vogue.

While me heading back to NZ for a couple of weeks is going to make things a bit slower, already the psychological benefits are feeling massive for me.

The December target I set was a good and bad thing. It was good because it forced our development to push heavily towards a target. Without that target, I have no doubt we would be significantly further behind than we are, and we probably would have made some different decisions which would have not been as positive for the project. It was bad because of the expectations it set. That target relates to what was achievable in terms of releasing a "mod on steroids", whereas halfway through we abandoned that and went for a "new game based on the mod" - which is far more ambitious and really what everyone wants. But that meant achieving the december release is much harder, still because I'd made that promise it made the programmers work much harder.

It does become a bit overwhelming when literally everywhere I go, both on the internet and in real-life, everyone bombards me with wanting to know what is happening.

Edited by smasht_AU
  • Like 20

The only bad thing (for me) is, that rocket was the first developer who I had said, yeah, that´s a man who know what he have to do and he done everything what he said to us.

Now, the last 5 weeks I think he told us things who aren't happened. The release date of the SA doesn't matter for me, I just want that everything happen what a developer say!

I think many users will hate me for that, but I flame for things like that and I'm right in my opinion.

I want a game with good support and we HAD this good support but in the last time, I don't know, it´s just bad.

Pls don't come with the Xmas shit and so on. I can understand that rocket goes sick from this shit but he has a NICE (!!!!!!) Com (I know Com´s who are really bad and this com is great!!!), so if we would know how it´s going on with the SA, the com will be quit.

He mussn't say when it will be released, just what is going on and I think it´s just fair to give a little feedback to us.

Maybie he is making a present on Xmas for us (the release) maybie not. Maybie it´s all marketing cause of the Xmas-Sale (Arma 2)

Just speculations, i don't like that, i HATE IT!

Soooo I just want to say, would be nice if rocket gets active in the forum. Doesn't matter how, but i don't want to google 6 times a day the shit out of my ass.

Sry for the bad English. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

You all have got to find something else to do....

This is getting so old now. Go back, read everything from Dean in the past few months and you will see that nothing was promised for a release, only a HOPE of a release in December. And even then, if it was promised...promises are meant to be broken. You want an update? Be patient...

Nobody wants a game like Warz.... it was rushed and look at that pile of shit. Do you all want SA to be just as bad? I sure as hell don't.

Let these guys do their jobs and you do yours and that is to give constructive ideas on what we would LIKE to see in the coming game.

Keep up the bitching and i wouldn't be surprised if they all say to hell with the SA, let somebody else deal with all the childish bullshit.........

• Like 7

If we have to wait another year for the game, I don't mind, we have a mod as backup.

• Like 12

This is getting so old now.

Then why are you even here?

People generally don't like being lied to. There is nothing childish about being upset because the developers were like hint hint December. Now that it's December it's all hush hush and December is almost over. They could release it tomorrow and it was still a bad move to hype a million people into believing it would be released in December and then have no update about release 3/4 of the way through the month.

I myself had planned on giving this game to 5 people for Christmas. That Dean lead me to believe it would be released in December and then to make no official announcement on it right up until Christmas is just plain ignorant when taking into consideration the past unmet promises of a Christmas release dates for video games. It's not like we are breaking new ground here in releasing a video game, this is 2012!

Honesty is always the best policy.

The moral of the story here is don't inject unrealistic information into social networks for the sole purpose of unwarranted hype at the cost of respect from your dedicated players.

• Like 1

I guess Rocket is learning as he goes along. He seems like a normal bloke to me and I don't know how much experience he has in the games industry (I'm guessing very little) so he probably didn't realise the implications of making statements of release dates so early in the SA's developement. I don't envy what he's taken on here and hope he goes on to do more games on subjects I like after he's done, but I really don't think there's anything to be gained from trying to predict or second guess this things progress. Just pretend there is no release date at all and enjoy the updates and maps to the mod, there will be a pleasant suprise along some time in the future!

• Like 1

This, you guys act like they're developing an entirely new game by saying they can take as long as they want so as to ensure the game's quality. They're just setting up the framework right now. The sooner they finish the framework the sooner they can move on to new content. That being said, developers can only do so much. DayZ SA needs to release soon or interest will continue to drop, and as interest continues to drop other competitors who have much less to offer will get to swim in the cash that DayZ left floating around.

• Like 4

I'm more concerned about the outcome from the WarZ steam release. DayZ, whether you like it or not, is in the same boat as WarZ...both incomplete, both promise expansion of features.

I fear now that DayZ standalone will now have new hurdles and tighter restrictions in place for the steam release.

• Like 8

I'm more concerned about the outcome from the WarZ steam release. DayZ, whether you like it or not, is in the same boat as WarZ...both incomplete, both promise expansion of features.

I fear now that DayZ standalone will now have new hurdles and tighter restrictions in place for the steam release.

Not to mention them both being named "foundation" builds.

Edited by smasht_AU
  • Like 2

i thought the main reason warz was off steam was because they changed the pricing or the amount of time you respawn. both wouldnt effect dayz

Edited by Falcons84

That is true but DayZ has been out much longer and has shown progression in the mod, I mean look at the front page... 1.4 million players for a mod... it would be incredibly foolish if they thought there would not be even more progression on the actual stand alone game.

WarZ made the mistake of branding their product as "Complete" in the Steam info but it was at the last minute re-named to a Foundation Build. Im sure our dev team wouldn't do something as stupid as that.

In the mean time about Press releases and statements, i think we should all hold off and calm down till after Christmas, give the guys some time and space to enjoy this time with their families. I wouldn't be happy if i tried to get home for the first time in a long time to get continuing hassle from yes rightfully annoyed players but we have to see things from Rockets point...

He has sacrificed a hell of alot to get the Mod to where it is and the SA to being almost ready to be released, i think instead of being all "I want news" just sit back for a second and wait for them to tell us... if there is any news it will surely be released after Christmas now.

• Like 7

I was saying this awhile ago, as far as if Steam wants to get involved in an unfinished game. but since then Rocket said Steam was supporting his model, with "delta patching", VAC, etc

ultimately BI should know that people prefer Steam, but we would gladly give our money directly to them if need be

Every single mistake WarZ did, will be a lesson to DayZ SA.

I can tell you that I have a full confidence in rocket. He NEVER advertised something that I didn't get. In fact I've purchased ArmA just for DayZ alone only to discover later on, how much more content this game can deliver.

Server diversity is huge. There's mods for original mod, just to keep you involved and entertained for hours.

And total abundance of my most hateful thing: P2W shop!

• Like 1

Yes steam changed their rules after criticism from Notch (in attempts to get Minecraft, then unfinished, on steam). However, in light of recent events, Steam now has to figure out where the line should be. This requires documentation drafting and a long list of clauses and requirements. Thanks to WarZ, Steam will be very reluctant to throw more alphas up without further restrictions put in place.

The other point too is that DayZ does not want to have masses of angry fans as WarZ did, and I think through no fault of their own, the hype for the SA has exceeded realistic deliverables. The more people expect from the SA, the more angry they will get when the SA is released.

Strategically, I think just before release a statement should be released to reiterate the fact that most changes between mod and SA is structural, and not graphical/features

• Like 5

I was thinking the exact same thing, how do you sell an incomplete game on steam? They're gonna have to be very careful not to promise something that may never happen and make it very clear the initial build is work in progress.

Yes steam changed their rules after criticism from Notch (in attempts to get Minecraft, then unfinished, on steam). However, in light of recent events, Steam now has to figure out where the line should be. This requires documentation drafting and a long list of clauses and requirements. Thanks to WarZ, Steam will be very reluctant to throw more alphas up without further restrictions put in place.

The other point too is that DayZ does not want to have masses of angry fans as WarZ did, and I think through no fault of their own, the hype for the SA has exceeded realistic deliverables. The more people expect from the SA, the more angry they will get when the SA is released.

Strategically, I think just before release a statement should be released to reiterate the fact that most changes between mod and SA is structural, and not graphical/features

the WarZ presented itself as a finished game. that was the first thing that struck me when I saw it on Steam. I thought for sure it would have a disclaimer about being unfinished, but there was nothing. they actually modified the description at least once, before it was removed

I think it's clear that it's important to be very clear about what people are spending their money on

I think WarZ might have made it harder for DayZ to be posted on Steam but as long as you don't lie in the info, and they test it, along with showing all the progress the game has made it should be fine. I am completely 100% with the state of the game thus far and do not fear that the game might not be able to appear on Steam. DayZ is on a well rounded secure track with no flaws or mistakes. Not only that but I will add that if we didn't rush Rocket on making this the day before the "World was supposed to end" then I think we are all okay with not rushing Rocket and the team to finish it all. Take all the time you need, I got a mod to play until then. Be honest to Steam, and above all if Steam doesn't put it on you have just about 1.4 million backers ready to sign a petition to put it on Steam. So no worries, take all the time that is necessary and don't cut corners. This is a game I really enjoy, probably one of the best I would go as far to say, and I extremely want to see it prosper.

• Like 4

Since WarZ has learned a nothing from DayZ, DayZ is now forced to learn everything from WarZ's Steam release.

Rocket may have to consider abandoning the term "Foundation Build" and write his darling off as an unintentionally psyops counter intelligence program. I understand Rocket coined the term, but by copying the term without fully understanding it, WarZ has at least contaminated the term, if not directly killed it.

DayZ may have to be postponed to allow Rocket to distance himself from WarZ's launch, but mostly to make sure he gets his ducks in a row. The first release of the Standalone has to be perfectly defined and ready to meet gaming media's reviewers and customers expectations. The Standalone's foundation must be stable and must be able to stand by itself.

If the Standalone in anyway is shaky or undefined at release, it will risk getting lumped in with WarZ and that would be a disaster.

Edited by Dallas
  • Like 7