griffinz

DayZ Standalone Discussion

Exactly, and it could probably be traced back further than that.

Well, id Tech 3 was based on id Tech 2 (Quake 2), which I think was built from scratch to replace the Quake engine. So yeah, it goes back to around '97, lol.

They say CoD: Ghosts (the next one) is built on a new engine, but I can almost guarantee you that it's id Tech 3 and they've just updated the lighting and shaders and have upped the texture res now that they're developing for next-gen consoles. Probably for the best anyway... The id Tech engines are solid and full of little nuances that make for good arcade shooters.

• Like 1

Imho Rocket fucked up this one a lil bit

why? - becuase :

He wanted to make Dayz SA asap while Dayz mod is so popular. He wanted to go easy way and just make it on A2 engine - basically all the same as mod except it would be SA and updates/content would follow later on.

Release date was planed December 2012.

then some new opportunities kicked in - Steam support and possibility to update current engine

Ofc new things comes with new problems/challenges - Dayz SA release date postponed to somewhere in late spring

New people joins team and new ideas comes up - Updated engine + updated Chernoruss

Dayz SA postponed to summer

ARMA3 comes out as ALPHA with huge visual improvements and promising new HUGE map Altis

Dayz SA shows us VIP new locations in Cherno and game play what looks almost the same as Dayz mod

Arma 3 shows us Altis - which is HUGE with big cities and villages - you just cant wait to explore

Dayz SA release date - unknown!

Arma3 Release date - 12. September 2013. MOST IMPORTANT THING - THERE WILL NOT BE ANY CAMPAIGN ON RELEASE! 

Moders announces Dayz modifications on Arma3 release - and will take place on Altis 

Dayz SA release date - unknown!

Tell me what would you like to explore more when playing DayZ SA - few new locations on Chernoruss or whole new map ALTIS

If now Rocket will decide to move to Altis - he might be already too late

Yes I know Rocket want to release Dayz SA in almost perfect state - were everything is working and almost no bugs - I can not blame him for that

but I have little feeling that he lost his perfect moment

If he would work together with BIS and would make Dayz as built in part/mission for Arma3 every one would be winners BIS - more sales, we would get better looking and whole new Dayz

these are just my thoughts - I might be wrong tho

• Like 3

My problem is frame rate is something they've been touting since day 1, yet it still runs like crap and it doesn't look like they've made any effort there. What did people want from SA? Well from what my friends said two things always came up, they hated getting the game to work and frame rate. Whenever I speak to anyone in game or a friend their FPS is always like 20-30, that just isn't fun... whenever I'm in Cherno the game is just unplayable and I have a real doubt that's the zombies because I can be there alone on a server and only a few zombies and still have the same problem. 

You can say it's alpha all you like, that's fine but the frame rate is something they should have been working on from that start, especially when that was one of the biggest things Dean Hall kept going on about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqQewm7T3EM#at=3119

They're not going to be running this on a bad rig.. why does the frame rate suck? It's like just one step above slide show. 

On my rig and my friends rigs, we all have haswells or ivy bridge cpus with 670s - 780 gpus, Windows 8 or 7 and 16+gb of ram and we all have SSDs.... yet when playing ARMA 3 beta we have 30-40fps :\ like wtf? When looking at PC usage it's barely anything, so why isn't it taking advantage of our systems? Why isn't the game multi threaded? Why is there no 64bit client? 

I'm just not going to play a game that runs badly, like anyone else I know, it's more of an issue than hackers.

People can make excuses all they like but there is no excuse, we always see it when these eastern Europeans make their own engines. The games are great but the engines they make are always complete dog shit.

Edited by Miffy

You don't need a hero skin to play as a hero.

Seems like you're a bandit at heart with a conflicting fashion sense :P

Haha, yea you might be right :P

wasnt untill recently when most of my buddys are bored of this game i started playing as hero..

Its kind of hard being hero in a squad so most of my time in dayz ive been bandit :)

but as of now i play hero and loving it :)

Its funny how peoples with high end gaming computers suffers from low FPS in arma

I have PC even lower then medium regarding todays PC standards, but I run Arma3 with 90-120 fps on editor and 60-90 in MP (medium/high settings )

Arma2 does not matter editor or MP I have stable playable 35-40 fps (high/very high settings)

my rig is CPU i5 3470, GTX 560, 8GB ram, sata HDD 

Edited by V3C1C

Meh. Cherno and Elektro are a shitfest still but the game runs on an "acceptable" level (acceptable for how poorly coded it is...).

Arma 3 runs alright for me (again almost full max) but it depends on the server for some reason...

1080P, 4670k, 770, 4GB RAM, no ssd

whenever there is a bugs just shout alpha !

the mod version is probably one of the most unoptimized for framerates in any game i have played. also leaving the performance down t serverside is quite retarded aswell.

think the fps will be better go play dayzero for eg on a good server my fps never drops below 60 fps on that.

also this game will be optimized for the new conosles and when its realeased on them.

Game/engine optimisation comes later on in the development process.

Did they just forget to optimise Arma 2 then?

Same developers, same mistakes.

Could it be that the game is being restricted by 1 or more developers in the team lacking in knowledge? There must be a good reason why a mod such as DayZero can improve the FPS so dramatically when the actual game developers can't.

• Like 1

I agree. When DayZ is ported to Altis, I'll be all over that bitch!

New guns, vehicles, map... HELLS YES!

I cringe a little when I see a thread about person complaining about the FPS in the standalone.

As previously stated: 

PRE-ALPHA

If you could give them a chance to work on bugs/optimization/gameplay and just wait patiently we would all have a better time.

Did they just forget to optimise Arma 2 then?

Same developers, same mistakes.

Could it be that the game is being restricted by 1 or more developers in the team lacking in knowledge? There must be a good reason why a mod such as DayZero can improve the FPS so dramatically when the actual game developers can't.

If you followed the early development of Arma 3 you'd have heard the devs acknowledge those mistakes (and lack of resources at the time to fix them).  What same mistakes are you referring to btw?  Arma 3 is infinitely better in every way to Arma 2 including optimisation and the SA isn't released yet.  Are we really going to pull BIS/Rocket apart based on an early development build of a game because that's not a very sensible conversation to have.

Regarding the mod & DayZero etc, well that's a different kettle of fish entirely.  Why not just ask Razor directly?  He posts here most days.  Also the community devs don't work for BI so I'm not really sure what that has to do with anything anyway.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 2

You can say it's alpha all you like, that's fine but the frame rate is something they should have been working on from that start, especially when that was one of the biggest things Dean Hall kept going on about.

It simply isn't possible to optimize a game and boost framerates for everyone until the majority of the in-game mechanics/objects/textures/whatever are implemented.  The whole development process would take twice as long if they took the time to optimize in the middle of pre-alpha development...

It just isn't feasible.

Edited by TheLastEmp

If you followed the early development of Alpha 3 you'd have heard the devs acknowledge those mistakes (and lack of resources at the time to fix them).  What same mistakes are you referring to btw?  Arma 3 is infinitely better in every way to Arma 2 including optimisation and the SA isn't released yet.  Are we really going to pull BIS/Rocket apart based on an early development build of a game because that's not a very sensible conversation to have.

Regarding the mod & DayZero etc, well that's a different kettle of fish entirely.  Why not just ask Razor directly?  He posts here most days.  Also the community devs don't work for BI so I'm not really sure what that has to do with anything anyway.

Let's stop being rediculous shall we?

Without going to far down the road...The game was scheduled for a tentatative release date for last December. The head honcho went so far as to say the game would be a failure if it wasn't.

Eight months later I don't think it is out of line to be expecting more progress then what we have. The game isn't even anywher eremotely close to a release candidate. It isn't even REMOTELY optomized.

Do you have any idea the collective man hours and money the community has dumped into this game to give rocket FREE publicity? Personally I have never seen anythign like it.

Time to shat or get off the pot. Times running. So many possibilities out there. Shit, just take A3 for tiny little example of what is on the horizon.

Honestely...I have already let go of DayZ. Between the script kids and the the dev team dragging their feet on SA I'm already looking for the next generation of gaming. Pefecty content to wait it out till then. Might even pick up A3 when it is officially released.

Adios DayZ.

Without going to far down the road...The game was scheduled for a tentatative release date for last December. The head honcho went so far as to say the game would be a failure if it wasn't.

Eight months later I don't think it is out of line to be expecting more progress then what we have. The game isn't even anywher eremotely close to a release candidate. It isn't even REMOTELY optomized.

...Adios DayZ.

I will restrain myself from being a grammar Nazi on this one...

The only mistakes the DayZ devs have made was giving a release date at all... it is absolutely commonplace for development to be a long and arduous process.  With every mechanic they try to implement a whole slew of unforeseen critical error and bugs will develop.  Often times, entire games get scrapped and reworked from the ground up after a year or two of work has already been put in.  It would be impossible for them to have begun optimization at this stage in development.

The problem is that the devs are ambitious and under resourced. They have lots of brilliant ideas and game mechanics they want to add in to the game, but the whole thing is a massive balancing act...

patience really is a virtue.

Edit:  It would be impossible for them to have begun optimization at this stage in development.

Edited by TheLastEmp
  • Like 1

I can honestly wait. I'm not sure what is to become of DayZ. But lets see, one reason they are taking alot longer is because of the events that transpired with warZ, the shitty knockoff. I bet the devs are just putting more polish on the game until they themselves are satisfied with the end product. Now, to mention game play at E3 and such is still not enough to justify that that is how the game is going to be like, during that game play, I saw so much wrong that it was blatantly obvious the game was in early stages. Give it time, know one really knows what to expect just yet.

Do you have any idea the collective man hours and money the community has dumped into this game to give rocket FREE publicity? Personally I have never seen anythign like it.

Time to shat or get off the pot. Times running. So many possibilities out there. Shit, just take A3 for tiny little example of what is on the horizon.

Honestely...I have already let go of DayZ. Between the script kids and the the dev team dragging their feet on SA I'm already looking for the next generation of gaming. Pefecty content to wait it out till then. Might even pick up A3 when it is officially released.

Adios DayZ.

Let us all just remember that this dev team isn't DICE or Bethesda AAA game dev team. This is an INDIE game. The game will be ready when it is ready, rushing them will only make the quality worse and then we will all be upset because the quality of the game will be terrible. 

And as for the FPS issues with that Arma 3 livestream, you do know that a youtube video is automatically rendered at 30 fps correct? And livestreams generally don't have good FPS in the first place. Also, just because the livestream has poor FPS, doesn't mean when YOU run it that it will. Arma 3 has been proven to have better optimization than Arma 2 by multiple accounts. So, to be quite honest, I am really not sure what you are basing any of this off of.

For the SA optimization problem, you could always just be patient and play at a cool 20 FPS like most people, it is perfectly playable. Optimization comes later in game development because if you do it too early, you may have something come up that fucks up all the work you did with optimization before, like I don't know... new game features perhaps?

• Like 1

I can honestly wait. I'm not sure what is to become of DayZ. But lets see, one reason they are taking alot longer is because of the events that transpired with warZ, the shitty knockoff. I bet the devs are just putting more polish on the game until they themselves are satisfied with the end product. Now, to mention game play at E3 and such is still not enough to justify that that is how the game is going to be like, during that game play, I saw so much wrong that it was blatantly obvious the game was in early stages. Give it time, know one really knows what to expect just yet.

I can honestly wait. I'm not sure what is to become of DayZ. But lets see, one reason they are taking alot longer is because of the events that transpired with warZ, the shitty knockoff. I bet the devs are just putting more polish on the game until they themselves are satisfied with the end product. Now, to mention game play at E3 and such is still not enough to justify that that is how the game is going to be like, during that game play, I saw so much wrong that it was blatantly obvious the game was in early stages. Give it time, know one really knows what t

bla bla bla bla

Such blasphemy against our Lord. How dare you question the workings of the mystical Lord whom has given us all we have, yet has done so without appearing to us?

• Like 2

Ok Please take what I say with a grain of salt and know that I'm a big fan of Dayz and will certainly be buying the standalone. 

That being said:

Is the game really that small??   I was under the impression this game had a lot of hype with 1.7 mil unique users for the mod so lots of support and anticipation?

I see the daily update posts from rocket on reddit  and they all seem like small tasks each day being completed:

13th Aug Lots of MP testing today, together with bug-fixing. Also working on advanced damage mechanics such as ballistic vests and helmets

12th Aug Today: Syncing disease/infection states to database. Inventory ammo load/unload from mag and combining piles of ammo. MP testing

10th Aug Cleaning my apartment then it's time for some more work on the modifiers system, to enable diseases and other buffs/debuffs.

9th Aug New network damage system controlled by server. Item degradation. More work on buff/debuff modifier implementation. Testing later

8th Aug Nighttime now, I'm working on the "modifier" system I scoped to handle "buffs and debuffs" like illness, disease, and injury.

Can't these tasks be delegated to hired game programmers?  Like rocket comes in on a monday and assigns a task to each programmer. It seem like he is doing all the work himself?   

I believe this game could generate many millions of dollars in sales, wouldn't it be wise to hire some temporary game programmers to handle the general coding and mundane tasks?  A few thousand wisely distributed could go a long way. 

It seem the Dayz hype is fading,  Summer rush was missed, people moving on to new games.  Spend some money on extra programmers and get the game released.  Strike when the iron is hot,, that iron is certainly starting to cool.

Edited by Big_T

Don't rush them. If they keeping being rushed then they'll just make more mistakes because they'll go too fast. They're trying to make it fun for us players. They're working on a limited budget. Just be patient. It'll come when it comes. We should be patien and it'll come, it's good that the take the time to refine the experiance for us.

• Like 1

Hello there

Remember this is not your usual EA "AAA" budget game.

There's more than just Rocket working on it AFAIK but think of it more as an Enthusiast project, Like restoring a car or re-enacting a battle.

Give them time and it'll be splendid.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 3

What makes you think he's doing all the development by himself?

Aye, Rocket's the LEAD programmer.  He's got a whole team now as before he was the only one doing the mod with a little help from others.  And coding is hard work, what do you expect them to have tweets like these?

Aug 1: Starting Development from scratch on DayZ

Aug 2: Finished the game, gonna start alpha testing.

Aug 3: Alpha testing over, the Big Wigs want us to start working on the console version!

Aug 4: Console version done!  Had 5 million disks printed in the last hour!

No, its going to be small steps...let me see if I can find a graphic that represents this...2012-11-19-0430-software-engineering-now

• Like 12

Aye, Rocket's the LEAD programmer.  He's got a whole team now as before he was the only one doing the mod with a little help from others.  And coding is hard work, what do you expect them to have tweets like these?

Aug 1: Starting Development from scratch on DayZ

Aug 2: Finished the game, gonna start alpha testing.

Aug 3: Alpha testing over, the Big Wigs want us to start working on the console version!

Aug 4: Console version done!  Had 5 million disks printed in the last hour!

No, its going to be small steps...let me see if I can find a graphic that represents this...2012-11-19-0430-software-engineering-now

i want that godam Tiger game, and i want it NOW !!!!

• Like 3

Don't rush them. If they keeping being rushed then they'll just make more mistakes because they'll go too fast. They're trying to make it fun for us players. They're working on a limited budget. Just be patient. It'll come when it comes. We should be patien and it'll come, it's good that the take the time to refine the experiance for us.

not really rushing, just saying shouldn't there be more of a team behind this? Limited budget,, but why? I mean lead programmer has to finish cleaning his apartment first.... Thats all fine and good but won't this game make millions? Why not invest more into the release. It's not really a side mod for fun anymore.

This isn't really an indy release is it? OR is it?

Edited by Big_T