r4z0r49

L85 Should it stay or go

L85  

644 members have voted

1. 1. Should the BAF_L85A2_RIS_CWS be removed from Dayz?

• Yes
    • No
    • Replace with an Alternative (without Thermal)

The more dedicated players should not be robbed of the fruits of their labors, regardless of what those scripting clowns do.

Fruits of their labor?

Having the thermal scope, one can pick out unknowing players beyond as far as the eye can see; players he could have easily missed if using the same powered, non-thermal scope. Having this ability helps make the player feel secure, taking away that ever-present fear of not knowing if he's being hunted or not. This also allows him to easily spot and hunt players he would have never known were around if the same powered scope were non-thermal.

Having the thermal scope takes away all labor.

Not having the thermal scope means always having to watch your back. It instills that fear of not knowing who's in the tree line a few hundred meters out. It means that hunting other players actually means getting up and hunting them, not sitting back waiting for that magic "dot" to appear in your thermal scope. Not having the thermal means you're working that much harder to survive and, after all, that is the essence of DayZ; the struggle for survival.

Pro-thermal players keep raising the point that DayZ shouldn't be "balanced" or "fair".

Well, when removing the thermal means EVERYONE has to work just as hard to survive and always have that fear of not knowing who's watching, that is the type of "balance" the game needs.

Change the thermal version to ACOG one. Oh and while we are at it, remove as50 and m107 aswell. Maybe add L115/M40A3?

Edited by Qla

Get this thermal scoped crutch that people use to pretend to themselves that they're good out of the game. It's free Chams and makes people bad players. This should be shown by the fact that people wanting it to stay's only reason is "I use one".

No batteries

/thread

Keep it a dual functioning scope, just replace thermal with normal scope.

So it could be used in daytime then switch to the NV at night time.

I also like the idea of giving the rangefinder a thermal sight, so you could still have the para-military feel of spotting/sniping/group activity.

Keep it a dual functioning scope, just replace thermal with normal scope.

So it could be used in daytime then switch to the NV at night time.

I also like the idea of giving the rangefinder a thermal sight, so you could still have the para-military feel of spotting/sniping/group activity.

Its not Arma , its SA survival , go play Arma if you want all that , leave the military out of this , shotguns and arrows , military guns should be very very VERY rare , as in 1/30 players should have.

Its not Arma , its SA survival , go play Arma if you want all that , leave the military out of this , shotguns and arrows , military guns should be very very VERY rare , as in 1/30 players should have.

Agree !!!!! IF we want realistic and survival game, 99% should be civilian/hunters used low power weapons !!! 1 % should be military/police guns !!!!

Bring the gun back, sans thermal.

Edit: For you noobs saying that without thermal the gun sucks, and hence it should be removed, then why do we still have the MP5 and x2 barrel shotgun? They both suck, but that doesn't mean they should be removed. Different people enjoy different weapons.

Edited by Regicide

Well, we have military bases, we have heli crashes. There are going to be an abundance of mid to high end military gear at these sites. I do understand that the L85 is a bit overpowered due to the thermal sight but it is an ideal weapon for players that play as survivors and are trying to avoid other players rather than hunt than down for shits and giggles.

Edited by maxnmike

I don't miss it. So remove it. But a different gun as replacement or the L85 without thermal scope would be nice. ;)

Edited by LyeRhaZuul

Looks like the decision has been made. It's being replaced with the BAF_L85A2_RIS_Holo to spawn at helicopter crash sites in the next update most likely. And it seems they're also adding in the G36 weapons. Here's the changelog.

I think that thermal binoculars would be cool...but I am not fussed on a thermal scoped weapon as I am not a player killer. I always liked the L85 for scouting, but never fired the thing. I always used an M4A1 for shooting, preferably the silenced one.

i think you shuld leave it in but counter it with a rare cloth that protect many body-parts from being seen through thermal ;) they made this in BF3 to counter the IRNV so why not in DayZ?

In stand alone, If you're going to have guns with Thermals and promote militarizing DayZ. You must give counter measures like Mortars, 'WW2' fighters, Armed vehicles to balance it out. (not Abrams and Av 8b)

Other wise get rid of it.