Jεricho

24/7 Daylight Servers... UGH?

Hey folks, I'm here to talk to you all about something that I hate.

24/7 Daylight servers. That's right, I know some people like it -- and I understand why... but, why!?

All I see now on DayZ are server with rampant kids running around, not having to worry about it turning dark. To me that ruins a vast majority of the survival element DayZ has to offer! And I know some people are going to say "oh, well find a night time server." I tried, buddy. And you know what? They're all empty cause all you people play are cheap servers!

So, why do you all play servers with 24/7 daylight? Do you find that you die less? Do you find it more fun? Cause in my opinion, personally, it ruins the point of a flashlight, night vision goggles, heat vision, and basic survival gameplay. I mean, I get a lot more of the suspense feeling from walking around at night, not knowing what's around the next corner.

• Like 13

I am afraid that if the community were to really run the game, it would be a bunch of things to make it easier than it is.

• Like 2

Arma Benny warfare Mod had a nice feature allowing fast time. So you could 4 hours of day and then 4 hours of night.

New Namalsk Private Hive

IP: 74.121.191.66

PORT: 2312

Fair enough good call, i just get my ass kicked because i never find NVG's only on dead players but then i never live long enough to use them, plus i am scared of the dark

Edited by Conkykillz

I really hate to tell you but even if it were dark people rarely use flash lights. It's the simple task of turning your gamma and brightness all the way up and changing your HDR quality to very high. So the survival element is pretty much the same as the day time.

• Like 1

I really hate to tell you but even if it were dark people rarely use flash lights. It's the simple task of turning your gamma and brightness all the way up and changing your HDR quality to very high. So the survival element is pretty much the same as the day time.

This only works till about 2-6am server time. When the game is pitch black. No settings will help. I agree though, I enjoy playing in the dark.

I have had occasions where my friends couldn't see anything at all, but I was able to see almost as well is if it were day, without changing any of my settings.

I personally dont mind playing in the dark, feel you get immered into the game more. Thats just me and i assume others find that 24/7 day time servers cater for people who finish school/collage/work and would like a few hours in-game where their not forced to play in the dark. Everybody to their own.

Best thing is find a home-server that accommodates to the style of playstyle you perfer.

I've lost all faith. The point of the darkness is for you to endure it, survive it, and enjoy the tense feeling that only night time can offer. You can do that by...

a.) Simply logging out for the night.

b.) Going into the cities to find some loot while most people will be unable to see you

c.) Getting some friends and go be bandits

Most of you might hate the idea, but dying is what makes the game fun - it's what keeps you in. If you're just being a pansy and waiting in the middle of nowhere with your UAZ and AS50, then what's the point of even playing? You have everything... now use it! Oh wait, you can't. You're afraid to die in this game.

I understand that some people have their preferences which differ from others, but please, stop ushering the community to pump out more 24/7 daylight servers than is necessary. Soon, there will just be no night time at all. Then what will this game come to? Just another CoD game with a bigger map. That's what.

Edited by Jεricho
  • Like 2

It would be OK to play at night if you could see...I for some reason can see fine throughout the night (It's hard but I can see roads and the outlines of things) but some of my friends can just see blackness...not even the outlines of the trees. I think this is why people prefer to play in the day time. It's not realistic to see nothing at all at night. In real life your eyes adapt to night time so you can see pretty well. Running around blind = death...and in a game where there is perma death it's just not fun!!!

I like to play in the dark. But one thing that should be changed:

- Duping should be not possible at all

- NVGs should break once your character dies

If both doesn't happen, the number of people with NVGs will increase a lot. If the number is small I don't care. But if the number is huge, its a real disadvantage for the people to play at night if other people can see like its daytime.

I really like playing at night time.

I understand that some people have their preferences which differ from others, but please, stop ushering the community to pump out more 24/7 daylight servers than is necessary. Soon, there will just be no night time at all. Then what will this game come to? Just another CoD game with a bigger map. That's what.

the threat of dying is part of what makes it fun.

We are finding a balance on our server to do with time. In a 4hour gaming session, We mainly log on 7pm UK time. So we want to get in 2.5 hours of day gaming. Then 1.5 hours of getting dark and darkness gaming.

I've been on servers where its day all the time. Its just a PVP fest. YAWWN

I am afraid that if the community were to really run the game, it would be a bunch of things to make it easier than it is.

I agree, then again maybe that would be a good thing? There would be these kiddies who want stuff like this so they go to that server, but there would also be people who like to play it properly and so they go to the proper servers. This would divide the kiddies who want easy mode from the peeps that want to play the game as its meant to be.

I suppose these "I don't get why people play an open sandbox game differently than I do..." threads will never stop, but here goes...

There are a lot of different reasons people like 24/7 daylight servers: Not everyone wants the "realism" challenge; if it's cloudy it really is impossible to see anything regardless of brightness/gamma settings; on new maps like Namalsk you end up shivering within 5 minutes; some people may be in a location/situation where there aren't many quality servers except local ones and they can only play in the evenings, so their only chance to ever play in the daylight is on a 24/7 daylight server (this was my situation in the early days of the mod); NVGs are incredibly rare (I've played 200+ hours and never found any).

Have you played on a server at night with 50 people? It's 10x the PvP bloodbath you get on a 24/7 daylight server because everyone can see the flares, flashlights, and chemlights and go towards them. Then you get one sniper with NVGs, or even worse, a sniper with a thermal weapon, and it's impossible.

I enjoy playing at night on occasion. I had a blast ferrying a bunch of guys in a heli for a few hours in pitch black cloud cover the other night. But I only play at night when I'm sure I know a few folks on a server and we can team up, or if there are only a handful of other people on a server.

• Like 2

It's pointless to play with overpowered items like thermal scopes and NVGs in the game. Not to mention, the lighting system isn't very well designed for night time. Zombie aggro is broken as fuck during the night, as well. I like playing on night servers, when it's a level playing field, but it almost never is. Either you'll have the gamma adjusters, or the server hoppers/server admins with a full loadout just wrecking all the fresh spawns.

And for the "survival realism"..... I stand by my constantly made statement, Gameplay > Realism

• Like 1

@OP

There is a simple solution. Rent your own server and you can have it go dark. Youll likely end up playing alone or with a small group though. You said it yourself, hardly anyone likes playing at night. In its current form its an annoyance.

DrunkPunk and Walrus basically summed up playing at night.

Most of the night the screen is so black for me I cant see where I'm walking..... could be running with my face against a wall and wouldnt know....... not good gaming.

Hey folks, I'm here to talk to you all about something that I hate.

24/7 Daylight servers. That's right, I know some people like it -- and I understand why... but, why!?

All I see now on DayZ are server with rampant kids running around, not having to worry about it turning dark. To me that ruins a vast majority of the survival element DayZ has to offer! And I know some people are going to say "oh, well find a night time server." I tried, buddy. And you know what? They're all empty cause all you people play are cheap servers!

So, why do you all play servers with 24/7 daylight? Do you find that you die less? Do you find it more fun? Cause in my opinion, personally, it ruins the point of a flashlight, night vision goggles, heat vision, and basic survival gameplay. I mean, I get a lot more of the suspense feeling from walking around at night, not knowing what's around the next corner.

People generally leaving once night fall arrives.

* Everybody knows, that the players with the best gear / with NV goggles with triumph any given fight.

Sounds like a allot of fun for the new players?

* Either throw flares and be very obvious or "UP gamma/brightness/hdr" to someway compete with others.

There are a few reasons that I play 24/7 daylight servers. I don't know why I feel I'm obliged to justify my opinion because someone else doesn't like my preference, but I will do it anyway.

I play on 24/7 daytime servers because every server that had all of the options just right for me like death messages off, nameplates off are usually far outside of the eastern standard time zone. That being said, I'm forced to play at 7:00 - 8:00PM server time when ever I would like to play. So I made the switch to daylight servers. Secondly, I just can't see anything when it's night time. Even if it's only 7:00. Both brightness and gamma are on the default settings but still my screen is literally pitch black during night time. I've logged a lot of hours into DayZ and I've only found one pair of NVGs which was last week (on my daytime server). Even if I did have NVGs, I still don't feel the realism at all. I don't feel the realism when I know players are all jacking up their gamma and brightness. The NVGs give tunnel vision, so wearing them would put me at a disadvantage towards the rest of the players jacking their brightness settings up. The only viable way to play on night time servers is by wearing NVGs which is extremely rare I've found. No one uses the flashlight because no one wants to be a shining beacon during the night. Heat vision, which is also extremely rare is great both in night and daytime so I don't see how a 24/7 daytime server ruins heat vision.

To answer a few of your questions, I do find 24/7 daytime servers to be more fun. Simply because everything is pitch black, I'm not able to see any detail on my screen besides the stars. Avoiding zombies is also a lot easier during the night. As if they weren't easier enough to avoid. Do I die less? No, actually. I die a lot more on my daytime server than I did during night on previous servers. Avoiding people is a lot easier during the night. I find daytime to be a harder challenge. The gameplay during the night is generally a lot more passive than it is in daytime as well. Daytime is just more exciting. It's too easy to stay safe in night servers. As for the realism part, I just don't see it. With the ability to negate all vision loss with raising the gamma and brightness levels, the realism doesn't exist. Even if players didn't have the option, it wouldn't be realistic. During the night of a zombie apocalypse, I wouldn't be running around looting, scavenging or looking for a fight. I'm pretty sure that people would be hid in a camp/base guarding/sleeping and/or getting ready for the next day. Really, the only realism is how your temperature drops during the night which can be instantly fixed with a heat-pack which is very common. I guess hanging around a fire to increase my temperature would be cool, but that's about it. Temperature loss is just a tiny piece of realism in the night, unless you're playing on a much colder map which would be just as realistic in daytime as it is night time. Claiming temperature loss to be a realistic, deciding factor for night time being interesting sounds like a desperate attempt to make night time sound more intriguing in your argument.

In conclusion, I am personally unable to play the game during the night because the screen is pitch black. Say if my screen wasn't pitch black, the game is a lot easier during the night time. Night also promotes a lot more passive gameplay. I just started playing on 24/7 daytime servers and I've gotten into more fights than I have ever during my night time game hours. Both player fights and zombie fights. The realism is also not there for me. The lack of sight is easily negated with players being able to negate all sight loss with gamma and brightness. During the night time in a real zombie apocalypse, no one would be roaming outside unless they are committing suicide, so night time wouldn't be realistic even if gamma/brightness wasn't free to take advantage of. I don't see anything better about the current night time than day time. I would imagine that night time will be a lot better in general in the standalone. Until then, I will stick to daytime simply because night only has negative differences compared to daytime.

TL;DR - Night time lacks the realism it should have, it's more passive, it's easier and my game is pitch black when I'm playing during anytime of the evening/night.

Edited by Mphlol

"my screen is black" LOL It's night... use a flashlight or another light source.

I suppose these "I don't get why people play an open sandbox game differently than I do..." threads will never stop

There's a huge difference between setting up an open sandbox environment and playing an open sandbox game. It's fine for a player to be attracted to daytime, it's a human instinct. But, when people start setting up their environment to cater to the players desires, it stops being open to those (like the OP) who want to play it their way. It's still a sandbox game, but you've set the rules.