RosscoMac

Getting sick of bandits

Hello everyone!

Been playing this since it came out but only started to get into it properly and actually do well at it in the last two weeks. Always play with one of my buddies, we gather some supplies and eventually meet up in the wilderness somewhere and try to survive and find better kit wherever we can away from the big cities

Really enjoying the game so far, haven't managed to get some of the cooler military weapons or camoflage gear or helicopters yet and haven't even explored that far north either so still plenty to do. The only thing that is almost ruining the game for me is the bandits. I keep getting killed unfairly by bandits and it's really annoying me. I'm not the type of person to shoot people on sight as I would hate to ruin someones enjoyment and hard work but it's beginning to look like I'm gonna have to change my play style if I wanna survive now.

The game I have at the moment I am way north in Berezino now having travelled a fair distance to get there. I looted alot of buildings and snuck past a lot of zombies to get there and have found some pretty decent kit to keep me going for a while now. I was getting ready to log out for the evening and save my 3 or 4 hours work so went to a nearby forest, checked all around me as I'm always paranoid there are people about and settled down to make a fire and cook the raw meat I had first. I done that and was almost finished organazing my gear when all of a sudden I got three shots fired into me from behind. Sounded like a military weapon and sounded far away. I luckily survived the shots without bleeding or getting broken bones so I quickly jumped out and ran into some nearby bushes to save and quit.

I don't even care anymore that it's classed as cheating. I was gonna log out in the next 30 seconds anyway but somehow in this huge map I am well north or the normal places to be and in a forest hiding on a server that had dropped down to only 7 people by this time and I still got shot in the back. How can I be so unlucky all the time!?

I haven't even murdered one person in the game yet but I think I'm gonna have to start now. Is anyone else in the same position as me thinking of turning to the dark side just to survive?

• Like 1

Honestly, you were probably killed by a hacker.

Chances are if you are in a forest in a lesser-used part of the map with 7 players on it and one manages to find you and snipe you - they probably teleported.

You will have to be more aggressive in your play-style, there's a difference between killing unarmed players and killing players that can and will shoot you.

If you get the drop on them, you can give them a chance using voice comms to drop their weapon, if not just kill them.

Be VERY weary of anyone with a bandit skin or a ghillie suit, these tend to be the players that will try to kill you on sight.

• Like 2

Honestly, you were probably killed by a hacker.

Chances are if you are in a forest in a lesser-used part of the map with 7 players on it and one manages to find you and snipe you - they probably teleported.

Holy moly Batman, paranoid much? It seems like he made a fire at night near Berezino. I don't know which servers you play on, but there's usually quite some traffic in that area and you may have noticed by now that fires are not very stealthy.

Edited by Frop

Holy moly Batman, paranoid much? It seems like he made a fire at night near Berezino. I don't know which servers you play on, but there's usually quite some traffic in that area and you may have noticed by now that fires are not very stealthy.

There is obviously a chance that the player could have followed him and caught him lighting the fire, I just gave him the benefit of the doubt that he did properly scout out the area before sitting down at a fire.

It's from personal experience that if I'm away in a forest away from any cities/towns and all of a sudden someone starts trying to snipe me, it's normally a hacker - the decent players that took the time to track me and stay hidden tend not to miss :(

EDIT: I wasn't very good expressing myself earlier about Berezino - obviously there are players there I just meant that in comparison to Elektro and Chernogorsk (especially with only 7 players online) it's normally a lot less busy than a more active server.

Edited by Rossums

I'm with Rossums on this to be honest. I am quite a paranoid player so always take things slowly and look around me at all times for zombies and other players. I am confident no-one followed me so either the player was a hacker or they were further into the woods and I just never seen them.

It wasn't at night though and as I said, only 7 people in the server so I just found it highly frustrating that I got attacked like this so far from the normal hotspots with so few players in the game. I went north to avoid these kind of players but it seems like it hasn't worked.

Hopefully when the standalone version is released a lot of the hacking is stopped anyway so you can accept that it was a real player that killed you anyway. I hate hackers more than bandits.

Some tips to avoiding ''unfair deaths'' and banditry:

1. Don't play on the public hives, find a good private hive community with active players, and play there, theres less chance of hackers if they have a good anti hack, although its still a chance, just greatly reduced.

2. Use third person, to check your surroundings, and use it the majority of the time

3. Use your left alt to look around you, ALL THE TIME, checking dots in the distance for enemies

4. Never, EVER, approach another survivor, hero, or bandit, and start shouting friendly

5. Be VERY cautious around players

6. Don't trust players without microphones, they will probably hack you in the back with a hatchet while you type to them

7. If you meet some strangers that want to partner up, try to use skype (add eachother+call), so other players can't hear your direct comms

8. If you meet someone and hes friendly but your not really trusting of him, make sure he leaves you before you leave him, and watch him as he leaves, so you don't get shot in the back trying to leave

9. Try to kill or avoid bandits, just don't trust them unless they are being extremely friendly, like handing out weapons etc

10. Don't approach people with military grade gear and engage on them if your gear is clearly inferior, this rule applies esspecially if your not the best at aim

11. If your using direct comms, double tap caps lock so you can talk without holding the button, so you can do more with your hands and react faster

12. If you sense a hacker is about, like side chat suggesting it or you get teleported at all, ABORT!!!! if you do not, you will likely die and be very frustrated

---

TL:DR

You will develop some ''rules'' for yourself over time of playing and dying, and eventually start to live longer and know who to trust, etc.

It's all about experience and knowing what to do in what situation, from coming into that situation before.

Edited by bottar1

^ all of the above. Just keep in mind that whilst you are doing the right thing and going to the forest to light your fire, most people only move around via forest to keep out of sight. Make your fire in a piece of bushland that is out of the way

• Like 1

9. Try to kill or avoid bandits, just don't trust them unless they are being extremely friendly, like handing out weapons etc

bandits handing out weapons? sounds legit.

bandits handing out weapons? sounds legit.

I received an AS50 + a ride from friendly bandits because I was a friendly survivor, they had a ural.

some bandits are not like the KOS ones, they just kill people who are posing a threat to them and are not friendly, i suppose.

It's risky to approach them, but if they are friendly on the mic i guess you can try.

Edited by bottar1

I've never even came across a good person giving things out never mind a bandit giving things out! I must be joining all the wrong servers.

Hackers and Bambies try to get me all the time. So many squeaky voiced hackers being friendly before attempt to kill me or are horrible at aiming. I mad dash the woods a lot and often do not check my surroundings. yet I do not get shot at. :)

I think I am just lucky.

I do not fear death, as I already experienced life at the fullest and ready to do it all over again. Which actually makes this life more fun.

I look for danger but do not hunt players, I hunt those who shoot first. knowing and welcoming the possibility of death.

Edited by Strazyplus

I am newer to the game and have found that some people play that way and some don't. If you play on a populated server then the chances are the bandit scenario will increase significantly.

As a newer player I can understand some of your frustration but for DayZ you need to throw any pre-conceived notions out the window. This game is hardcore.

If you ever see someone creeping around chances are someone is watching you too. If you don’t see someone chances are someone is watching you. It’s not paranoia. To me it’s DayZ.

I find when I am trying to play survival I choose a server that has less people and just go into survival mode. When I want more interaction, for whatever, I choose a highly populated server. Yea this is meta-gaming but that’s me!

Z

If you play semi populated servers (e.g 10-25) or private hives, your chance of coming across friendly players is probably alot higher, because they go to lower servers due to getting killed by bandits all the time, or they want to get loot without disturbance.

Don't always play on full 50/50 servers, as most people go there to deathmatch when they have all super military gear.

Yeah that's a good point. I've been playing on low servers today and not even met anyone at all so haven't been able to test that theory just yet!

That is exactly what i do.

Gear on low pop, PvP on high pop.

I kill people allllll the time, at least 5 kills a day.

The difference is i never shoot first. Its always someone with a hot trigger trying to gain some quick loot. The thing to remember is that there are friendly people out there.

I have 11 murders on my current character and i am as friendly as can be ;)

I still haven't killed anyone. Seen someone today that I got the drop on but didn't do anything to him and he didn't even know I was there. I'd feel so guilty if I did just in case it was someone like me who hates bandits and plays it nicely. :lol:

Someone shoots me though, I will try to kill them without a shadow of a doubt.

• Like 2

it's always hard to keep an positive and friendly attitude.

To your original post it was probably bad luck, he could have seen you from further away while walking by. I think if it was an hacker you would be dead. Anyway you got lucky he shot you from far away and probably hit your backpack at least i heard that this effects the actual damage or maybe it was karma you didn't die who knows

Edited by IHombreI

I've just had a strange evening myself. I've been playing for a couple of months, maybe a couple of nights a week and tend to stick around servers with 15 players max. I was on UK 248 in Stary when I saw a hero being chased by a zombie. He didn't know I was there and I addressed him over the mic and told him I was friendly (no response from him), he disappeared out of my sight so I typed in that I was friendly and told him I'd help him shake the zombies (no reply). Walked up near the medical tents and saw him and spoke to him on mic again, he saw me and I pointed my gun away from him to signal that I was friendly *BANG* I hit the deck and saw him walk closer *BANG* finished me off. I had decent gear, was a little surprised that a hero was so hostile but I suppose I was naive. Reading a earlier post someone pointed out never announce "friendly", even to a hero which I would of thought was crazy until tonight. I've never killed a player and only ever try to help people or just avoid them. I was wearing a ghille suit and wonder sometimes whether people see that as a automatic threat?

I joined a different US server right after and headed for Balota airstrip, couldn't find anything at all and started to head for the forest when I heard a Ural, I just laid prone and then I heard a LMG blasting loads of rounds on the other side of the control tower, think he was killing zombies. The Ural came around the building towards me and parked right by me hitting the fence, a hacker got out in a soldier uniform and told me he was here to help me. Threw a supply box with every item in the game infront of me and told me to take the Ural too. I felt bad but just took the items that I lost through the hero killing me plus a M9SD and a few clips and left the Ural where it was. Was it wrong to take the gear that I lost? What would you guys do in that position? Anyways, it's just not bandits or paranoid survivors that are prepared to kill "friendlies".

You gents should join the FOGEYZ server. Well admined, good teamwork and some bandits. Genereally there is a friendly atmosphere.Hackers are dealt with swiftly.

See you in the field !

Sir, if you dont mind me saying, there are at least 1000+ "ihate bandits" posts already, imo theyshould make a Mega thread called I hate bandits

Sir, if you dont mind me saying, there are at least 1000+ "ihate bandits" posts already, imo theyshould make a Mega thread called I hate bandits

We kinda do... you see we take all these hate ones and assemble them neatly in a thread called "The Graveyard"

Then you can have hourless fun reading all about how OP's Jimmies were rustled!!

• Like 1